game looks like ∞/10 so far, except..

ZaneyHD

$156.00 a year? more than double xbox live / PSN asks for? and just for one *#&$ing game? you're kidding right?

How much does a typical gamer spend on hardware and software for gaming in a year? This is the price of roughly 3 AAA game titles per year, so roughly 4 months per AAA game.

How many xbox one games really have 4 months worth of steady game content? There are a few sure, but 3 per year? Unlikely.

Sandbox game junkies often spend tons of hours all in one game. MMO players often spend tons of hours all in one game. The kinds of players that will appreciate DU are the kinds for which $156/year breaks down into a very small and reasonable $/hour ratio. For the players that have the most time to play and the least income, there is a good chance it'll break down to $0/year with the ability to trade for game time in the in-game market. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

EDIT for an additional point

-Gaming is a hobby, and hobbies can sometimes be expensive. For someone who plans to play a bit each day, or have longer binge-sessions on the weekend, this could be considered someone's primary hobby. The advantage here is that if someone decides that they no longer want to play, they can stop paying and allocate future funds towards something else.

Lastly this model ensures that the Developers will be able to create regular expansions, which will keep the game in a place where we want to have it as a primary hobby.

No it's not just for the game, it's for your character account for the game and all of the server infrastructure and support for it, and all of the ongoing expansions and updates.

Well as last time someone brought up the concern. A massive single shard server costs money to run. The expansions are free, think of games that have subscription and still expansion costs (WoW, Final Fantasy Online, etc). In this game you dont have those expenses. Also a pledge often results in a decent amount of DACS, one each covers a 30 day (one month) period of play time and those DACS can be traded in game so as Lethys said you can play for free if you are hard core enough to get the in game currency to buy those DACS. 

Why 156/year? They said the monthly subscription will probably be around 10/13 (euros or dollars i don't remember) depending on how many months you buy in the same package. So you're likely going to pay something around 120$, that is like 2 "AAA" games (and you get for free 1-2 expansion/year, that you'd pay anyway otherwise). If you prefer you can buy 2 "AAA" games that will provide 20 hours of gameplay each if you're lucky, to me 120$ for a year of gameplay seems better

If the game is really going to be as good as they said, the price is not a problem.

The price of the game is for the server upkeep, game staff, continual expansions (at no additional cost) and other expenses. This is not a game you buy and then you have, it's an evolving experience.

Like Lethys said, if you don't want to pay, don't play.

So... the game is of infinite rating in your eyes... but deserves not the price-tag of an infinitely rated game...

...what.

WHY? I thought the site was bugged. :(

Well looking at things from how you put it, this dissuades play for free people and the "baggage" they carry with them from polluting the game.

Also mefsh, personal thing here, but please remove all the space next time you quote something like that.   ^_^

But I wantz it for free, f2p bae. You havz no ideaz how market workz

It just always amazes me how people can expect to get a high quality product for free or for some ridiculously low fee. 

The only thing that makes sense to me is that people must not realize it is an MMO, and equate it to something like COD where you buy it and you have it.

If I had to pick between "for free / low price to appease more" and "sustainable pricing to afford staff and tech to make this a reality as intended" then I would pick the more sustainable model.

Everything has a price. I will pay a bit more or in the first place if I get something proper in return and from the looks of it, this game will already be better than the average (theme park) MMORPG you also pay roughly a dozen bucks for.

A dozen bucks or a bit more (per month) for a vast universe with emergent gameplay and with the option to obtain game time by playing?

Sounds like a good deal.

Hey ZaneyHD! Welcome to the community!

As there is a big team behind a game like this and they have to provide super expensive Server to play the game in high quality, in my opinion a subscription model is the only really reasonable option to guarantee a seamless and great experience. Lets say you watch a movie once a month, the movie will entertain you approximately 2h and you would have to pay about 16€ to own it. You would play more than 2h a month, would you?

Cheers :)

Think about this this way. How much per month you can dedicate for entertainment? My budget is around $20. I have a choice buy a new title every month and enjoy it for few days or dedicate my full attention (and time) to 1 MMO title like DU. I don't give a shit how much xbox or my PC platform cost. It's one off investment regardless of choice. Is useless without a content. 

When you're tired of playing the same ole sub-par games with zero innovation, then you might want to consider paying a fair price to game companies so they can afford to make better games and provide ongoing support.  If these guys can pull off only half of what they are planning, this will be one of those game companies.

I know that hosting my own servers for the three games I play is costing me a small fortune.  If this one is good, then I won't have to pay for my own servers to play with more than a few people at a time. From my perspective, it could be a big cost savings - and a lot less of a pain in the butt.

To me a subscription tells me they are looking to keep this game going a while and therefor need the assists to do it. It seems to me that gamers in general are not as keen as they used to be to the idea of playing a game not for weeks or months but years. I'll gladly pay a sub for a game I really enjoy plus it's defiantly a troll deterant.

Lets get real people. Its 2017  pay 2 play models just doesnt work anymore except for WoW cause people are used to it . This game will probably be buy 2 play with micro-transactions. Everyone who have bought game time/DACs or whatever they call it will most likely recieve in-game store currency to spend.

They might add an optional 'premium' sub to let people own houses or other permanent assets on the server. P2P models equals losing tons of potential buyers and I doubt this game can afford that.

The devs might work with subscription for a few months for the sake of not breaking their promises on day 1 and creating a negative pattern and losing the trust of their customers.

Lets get real people. Its 2017 pay 2 play models just doesnt work anymore except for WoW cause people are used to it . This game will probably be buy 2 play with micro-transactions. Everyone who have bought game time/DACs or whatever they call it will most likely recieve in-game store currency to spend.

They might add an optional 'premium' sub to let people own houses or other permanent assets on the server. P2P models equals losing tons of potential buyers and I doubt this game can afford that.

You do realize that NQ WILL go for p2p because of several reasons which have been debated in length already. You WILL pay to play for DU. You should be able to read NQs statements in all threads, on the homepage and on the crowdfunding page. You know it's 2017, so you should be able to read

You do realize that NQ WILL go for p2p because of several reasons which have been debated in length already. You WILL pay to play for DU. You should be able to read NQs statements in all threads, on the homepage and on the crowdfunding page. You know it's 2017, so you should be able to read

I just edited my post. You know its 2017, what a company says and what a company does, are 2 different things.

I just edited my post. You know its 2017, what a company says and what a company does, are 2 different things.

Last time i checked companies are the same in 2017 as previous years