While wait DualUniverse playing in Empyrion-galactic survival

HAPKOMAH

I would say that Empyrion is not the best available approximation for what DU will be like, since it has so many straight-up survival mechanics (food, water, farming).

I've been scratching that itch lately with Starmade since the multiplayer experience can be quite stable, and the gameplay is more building/development oriented (where I'll ideally spend most of my time in DU).

• 2 weeks later...

To much survival for my taste. actually i have never tried, stopped reading after i read food and oxygen required.

I prefere From the Depths because of awesome cannons (automated) and constructs you make or StarMade for space craft building full of automation and AI controled turrets (except they only have the A in AI)

To much survival for my taste. actually i have never tried, stopped reading after i read food and oxygen required.

I prefere From the Depths because of awesome cannons (automated) and constructs you make or StarMade for space craft building full of automation and AI controled turrets (except they only have the A in AI)

Well, DU has "avatar-fuel" and oxygen. At least the avatar-fuel part is actually something that makes sense lore-wise.

See, in DU, the players are borderline cyborgs. They got a cybernetic arm that's a multitool, they got n implant in their brain for downloaidng information and knowledgeand so on. In the lore, the Nanoformer, the device inside the arm of the player, is powered by claories.

The wy I see it, Nq can do a long-term stamina bar and a short-term stamina bar. Long-term stamina, is energy stored in batteris inside the players' bodies, which are more or less, food coverted to energy. When a palyer runs, jumps or uses the jet-pack or varius other things, they burn up their shor-term stamina bar which is a capacitor. The capacitor drains ot power a palyer's attacks or weapons (in the case ofa laser rifle, lasers don't need bateris, when YOU are the battery) and the capacitor regenerates by draining the long-term battery.

That means, you got food, but you don't got hunger. If you are cosnervative on burning your reserves and don't run like am aniac or sprint or jump like yo uare bunny on Easter, you'll not feel a problem. And the best part, you can make said "high energy food" by synthesising minerals, like asbestus, nitrogen and carbon, to make a ration's bar - after all, food is STILL a combination of the period table.

As for the thirst part... well, the avatars do wear a biosuit in DU... let's just say... DUN - minus the cool magic powers.

Oxygen is a given though. Planets got thin atmospheres where you can't remove your helmet, or dense oness... where you can't remove your helmet. And given NQ managed to include aerodynamic profiles for ships, it also means they got a way to emulate pressure inside ships now - as pressure is still, Pascals, the same thing as atmospheric pressure on planets which provides resistance ;) .

What I'm saying is it may have survival in the game, but unless you are exploring away from civilisation, you won't even realise it. JC spoken about how "food will be easily available in towns and so on, but the further away you go, the harder it will be to get access to iut".

And let's face it, exploration without Food in its logistics, is just No Man's Sky levels of bad and boring. If I want to explore a new system for the chance of fidning iridium and mine it, I want to have challenge behind that, otherwise the game will just die under a buble effect, where players will spread across the server without any hinderance.

P.S. : 1 Kg of body fat, will net you 28000 KiloJoules of energy. That's enough energy for a laser rifle to fire at and melt carbon steel... 20 times. That's without taking into account how focused the beam is, which can make the shot punch through people as well. DU may have to tone down its laser rifles, just saying, 5000 KiloJoules maybe. 

You can make the argeuement "not all humans have the same metabolism", but humans in DU are cyborgs and batteries / capacitors come in one size :P. You just turn ration bars to energy and store it in batteries instead of body fat.

• 3 months later...

Eh I've been messing around on Empyrion Galactic Survival, practicing building ships with blocks and whatnot :P 

Great game, with very few flaws. Though I'm expecting a lot more from DU, as it has already addressed my major gripes (ie. what I see as flaws) with Empyrion (small planets, instance wall between planet and space,  just the distances overall, clipping through your constructs unless you are in your seat when it moves building frames are more limited - though I expect DU to have fewer "elements" at alpha, simply because Empyrion has been out longer) - though it does have a few mechanics I would love to see in DU (mining, resource gathering and crafting aspects are done quite well in my humble opinion). So anyway, DU definitely looks to be the "next step up" from Empyrion - even from what we've just seen in the development footage - but regardless, its a great $20 to spend on however long worth of time one plays it while one waits for DU, if you enjoy building a ship or two, and exploring / blowing stuff up with your creation.

Anyway, here's a semi-built station with a few small capital ships parked next to it that I've been messing around with in Empyrion ;)

station.jpg

EDIT:

On 5/13/2017 at 8:34 PM, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

Aside from the "space friction" and the "lolzies, automated guns on hovertank" parts, Empyrion is the cloest thign to a DU-like game.

You can turn autobrakes off to have no friction :P. I know it took me three weeks to figure that out too, and was really off putting. But yes - definitely closest thing to DU, and something that is actually worth comparing it to (so you can point out where DU is better for the most part, but maybe even in time where Empyrion holds it's own. Competition can only be a good thing for both games right? :D)

40 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

@Volkier

I'd say DU is better cause it doesn't run on Unity.

And no, Unigine is not Unity :P

And I'd say the same thing. Think I actually said exactly that up there in the post somewhere (albeit for different reasons) :P 

How are things Twerky?

2 minutes ago, Volkier said:

And I'd say the same thing. Think I actually said exactly that up there in the post somewhere (albeit for different reasons) :P 

How are things Twerky?

Fine ma horsey, finally the alpha's coming :D

• 4 weeks later...

Empyrion Galactic survival is an awesome game and one of the best games I ever bought on steam early access. You can build space stations and spaceships like in Space Engineers and explore planets and build bases on planets. The dev team is very active and brings updates on a regular basis. Its not a MMO but You can get on multiplayer servers with up to 200 people and multiplayer game worlds and planets can be customized in some ways. I really like Empyrion.

there seem to be a few things in common done well and done poorly in a lot of the space games I like. In other games building cool things with just a few premade plot shapes works really well. Empyrion, space engineers, starmade. they all have other things in common tho too, some lighting trouble, trouble walking on moving ships, lag trouble, buffering between space and planets. or for me at least. I am interested in seeing if dual universe runs into the same issues or if they get past them, if it ends up with the polish level full mmo's have