Star Citizen and Hello Kitty

Hades

People (some) tend to overreact in those discussions at times (not an exclusive trait to roleplayers it seems).

Most of the time when more customisation or "free customisation" (player can pick, create or upload a lot) becomes a topic I sometimes get the impression some draw a "end of the (virtual) world" scenario - and the game is not even playable for the community.

Of course concerns can be valid! However there can be a fine line between legit concerns and slight overreacting I think. An impromptu example I can think of is Minecraft where some (still) believe it's full of (challenged?) children placing genitalia / swastikas everywhere. While it might be true for some MC users or communities, you could find quite serious and advanced places like the Civcraft community.

In the end we should not forget we might see many sovereign or controlled places in DU due to emergent gameplay and whatnot. Even in some worst-case for some: you could just ban or outlaw or frown upon certain styles or clothing - or at least give people odd looks! Oh the psychological pressure!

I'm a fan of immersion n' all but "Oh my immersion, this guy looks silly!" hardly becomes some legit concern if you don't police your areas accordingly, assuming it happens on your ground. In other places you might just have to live with it. Even if nothing "silly" is added in that regard, people can still act silly anyway.

One vital fact you are overlooking here is that in Minecraft you have segregated communities.  You have those childish servers, and you have the more civilized servers.  In Dual Universe, it's all lumped into one.

However, it is clear that clothing will not be immersion breaking... ala NQs stance.  However, in another discussion it was stated that there will be ship customization (obviously) which will not be regulated (obviously, it's user created).  Which is precisely the perfect balance I can think of.

This all boils down to Game Design as an art, and not just as an economic product. As an art form, it is largely up to the intent of the artist as to what they want their art to look like (in most mediums). The fact that the dev's don't want to intentionally design "silly" content is entirely legitimate. They sold us on a game with a fairly serious aesthetic, it isn't as if they had pepe space suits in any of the trailers, so this kind of decision shouldn't come to us as a surprise.

Nothing stops a player from using the voxel tool and brightly colored alloys to create a hello kitty ship, or murals and whatnot. The devs just don't want to burn their own time and resources creating something that they don't like/want (and we can't blame them).

This all boils down to Game Design as an art, and not just as an economic product. As an art form, it is largely up to the intent of the artist as to what they want their art to look like (in most mediums). The fact that the dev's don't want to intentionally design "silly" content is entirely legitimate. They sold us on a game with a fairly serious aesthetic, it isn't as if they had pepe space suits in any of the trailers, so this kind of decision shouldn't come to us as a surprise.

Nothing stops a player from using the voxel tool and brightly colored alloys to create a hello kitty ship, or murals and whatnot. The devs just don't want to burn their own time and resources creating something that they don't like/want (and we can't blame them).

I don't disagree, and I did say as much.

I do disagree with that bit about silly clothing and whatnot, I don't think there will be such instances in the game.  Considering NQ is not adding in silly/humorous content officially that means clothing/cosmetics will not follow that path either.  However, you are obviously free to create as silly of a ship as you want within the capability of the design system.

Edit:

Similarly if they implement color customization to clothing (which I imagine they will?  No official word, but it's a common feature in games) someone can have a hot pink jumpsuit.... I have no problem with that.  It's when people start implementing ridiculous designs such as hello kitty.

I don't disagree, and I clearly said as much.

However, you clearly alluded to people wearing silly clothing and cosmetics... which will not happen.

No, I concluded that the devs would not intentionally design "silly" content of any kind. Something could be unintentionally silly, or become silly after its design.

For example, if the players have access to a robust color selector for their space suits, there is the risk for sillyness to make it into the game that was not intended. The modelers might design a SWEET armor set, unaware that one of the color sliders mainly colors a chunk of armor in the groin area. Tada! now the player population can be walking phallic humor. A specific helmate in the right color scheme might look like a meme character, or could even become a meme after the fact making it silly.

I chose my words with precision.

No, I concluded that the devs would not intentionally design "silly" content of any kind. Something could be unintentionally silly, or become silly after its design.

For example, if the players have access to a robust color selector for their space suits, there is the risk for sillyness to make it into the game that was not intended. The modelers might design a SWEET armor set, unaware that one of the color sliders mainly colors a chunk of armor in the groin area. Tada! now the player population can be walking phallic humor. A specific helmate in the right color scheme might look like a meme character, or could even become a meme after the fact making it silly.

I chose my words with precision.

Fair enough, however, I don't see that being an issue... games that do have color customization and similar content rarely have avenues for creating phallic (or otherwise) content.  It's usually limited to a few different areas of the customization that can be recolored.  

To be seen of course, but I'm not too worried about it ^^

As long as there's no official hello kitty skins, or any other ridiculous content, the rest can be settled in game.

Fair enough, however, I don't see that being an issue... games that do have color customization and similar content rarely have avenues for creating phallic (or otherwise) content.  It's usually limited to a few different areas of the customization that can be recolored.  

To be seen of course, but I'm not too worried about it ^^

As long as there's no official hello kitty skins, or any other ridiculous content, the rest can be settled in game.

The unicorn helmates from the HALO series are an example of a serious design choice that had silly/meme consequences as an example. That sort of thing happens to anyone who takes healthy design risks, but I agree its likely to be a non-problem.