A polite request that all members of these forums please be more conscious about what they quote in their messages

ATMLVE

Frequently there are new topics which contain large amounts of text, i.e. people who type up a lot of what may be on their mind about the game, and then post it. People who reply to this topic then quote the entire original post in their reply even though they are the first one replying, and then they themselves may only respond with a sentence or two of their own. In situations like this, I think we can all figure out what you are responding to, without the need of a quote... If there are zero replies, it is quite unnecessary indeed to put the entire original post into your reply as a quote.

The same goes for all of the first few messages in a topic. If you are responding to the original post, even if you are the third or even fifth reply, you do not usually need to quote the whole thing; a topic can be read like a conversation. A quote is for longer discussions where you are replying to specific other posts; or, if the topic is something like multiple pages, then it is of course much more appropriate to quote the original post. If you believe that if you do not quote the original post people may be confused with which post you are responding to, then in that particular situation it is more appropriate to put the quote in. Of course, if you are responding to a post that isn't the original, then by all means quote who you're responding to!

The thing about these forums is that quotes are black with white text, and regular posts are a different shade of black with a different shade of white text. It is not always easy to immediately identify where a quote ends and where the post begins; and when I go into a new topic and see a three paragraph original post, then scroll down to find the first three replies are all quoting the entire original post and responding with a just few sentences of their own, it just makes everything a pain to read, especially on mobile (the desktop mode of mobile that is).

I point at no one in particular, and take no hostile action against or have an ill feelings towards anyone that does what I'm advocating against. It's just something I've noticed a lot and feel the forums would be cleaner if people just put a little more thought into whether or not they actually need a quote in their post.

That's the point of this whole topic; please just put a little bit more thought into what you are quoting when you reply. Ask yourself if it is really necessary.

You, sir, have no idea how hard it was to resist the troll to quote your entire OP with a one liner reply.....

I was thinking that the whole time.  ;) I do have a sense of humor, had someone done it I would have laughed!

Frequently there are new topics which contain large amounts of text, i.e. people who type up a lot of what may be on their mind about the game, and then post it. People who reply to this topic then quote the entire original post in their reply even though they are the first one replying, and then they themselves may only respond with a sentence or two of their own. In situations like this, I think we can all figure out what you are responding to, without the need of a quote... If there are zero replies, it is quite unnecessary indeed to put the entire original post into your reply as a quote.

The same goes for all of the first few messages in a topic. If you are responding to the original post, even if you are the third or even fifth reply, you do not usually need to quote the whole thing; a topic can be read like a conversation. A quote is for longer discussions where you are replying to specific other posts; or, if the topic is something like multiple pages, then it is of course much more appropriate to quote the original post. If you believe that if you do not quote the original post people may be confused with which post you are responding to, then in that particular situation it is more appropriate to put the quote in. Of course, if you are responding to a post that isn't the original, then by all means quote who you're responding to!

The thing about these forums is that quotes are black with white text, and regular posts are a different shade of black with a different shade of white text. It is not always easy to immediately identify where a quote ends and where the post begins; and when I go into a new topic and see a three paragraph original post, then scroll down to find the first three replies are all quoting the entire original post and responding with a just few sentences of their own, it just makes everything a pain to read, especially on mobile (the desktop mode of mobile that is).

I point at no one in particular, and take no hostile action against or have an ill feelings towards anyone that does what I'm advocating against. It's just something I've noticed a lot and feel the forums would be cleaner if people just put a little more thought into whether or not they actually need a quote in their post.

That's the point of this whole topic; please just put a little bit more thought into what you are quoting when you reply. Ask yourself if it is really necessary.

Woops.

People won't even search the forums before posting yet another thread about the subscription. Heck, some people didn't bother reading anything about the game and post threads surprised or upset that there is a subscription, to begin with.

I see where you're coming from, and I agree that people should be paying more attention to what they are posting/quoting, but you may be preaching to the choir here. 

In addition, I would say that if you are quoting another post, shorten the length of what you are quoting down to the information that you are directly replying to.

For example:

Frequently there are new topics which contain large amounts of text, i.e. people who type up a lot of what may be on their mind about the game, and then post it. People who reply to this topic then quote the entire original post in their reply...

...you do not usually need to quote the whole thing...

See? A lot easier to understand exactly what I am referring to in the quoted post than if I simply re-posted the whole thing!

So basically, forum etiquette.

You, sir, have no idea how hard it was to resist the troll to quote your entire OP with a one liner reply.....

I was thinking that the whole time.  ;) I do have a sense of humor, had someone done it I would have laughed!

Woops.

You make a good point, especially on mobile.

People won't even search the forums before posting yet another thread about the subscription. Heck, some people didn't bother reading anything about the game and post threads surprised or upset that there is a subscription, to begin with.

I see where you're coming from, and I agree that people should be paying more attention to what they are posting/quoting, but you may be preaching to the choir here. 

In addition, I would say that if you are quoting another post, shorten the length of what you are quoting down to the information that you are directly replying to.

For example:

See? A lot easier to understand exactly what I am referring to in the quoted post than if I simply re-posted the whole thing!

Are you requesting people to not quote the topic starting post? I don't understand lol

ofcourse, MM,the master quoter does not understand ;)

Is this better?

That is a good idea! Or they could change the color of the letters, like maybe a dark yellow or medium blue. Something that is still easy to read, but makes it clear that it is a quote.