Subscriptions still work, and I imagine that's why most of us are here ^^

Tired of F2P junkware.

They work for a limited time, that is as long as the game is new and shiny and the devs are able to push out decent amounts of content (with WoW being the exception)

I am also tired of F2P junkware, but F2P doesnt make a game bad, its the dedication of the devs that will determine the outcome.

They work for a limited time, that is as long as the game is new and shiny and the devs are able to push out decent amounts of content (with WoW being the exception)

I am also tired of F2P junkware, but F2P doesnt make a game bad, its the dedication of the devs that will determine the outcome.

F2P makes the game about monetisation, P2P makes the game about constant updates. 

Look at Planetside 2. Triple-A quality game, mired in a constant :

Planetside Devs  "HEY, YOUR FACTION SUCKS BALLS AT RPM AND DAMAGE? BUY THE NEW PTW-1337 SMG, THAT SHOOTS AT 2000 RPM AND 200 DMG WITH A 150 ROUNDS MAGAZINE!" 

Community : "But, we want shit like actual meaning behind capturing territory instead of a glorified TDM"

Planetside Devs : "NO WORRIES, YOU LIKE MINECRAFT RIGHT? HERE HAVE A SHITTY BASE BUILDING MECHNINSM. BY ONLY PAYING 10.99 USD, YOU CAN BUY ONE UPGRADE INSTEAD OF HAVING TO GRIND 10000 KILLS TO GET IT!!!1111".

Yeah, the above REAL exmaple? That's P2W.

Nobody will buy "Houses" in DU when they can claim a land - you know the whole point behind the Territory Units. You ask NQ to HIDE BEHIND A PAYWALL THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME'S BUILDING.

Beg all you want, with as many different accounts as you want,  you are one voice. People got tired of playing F2P Korean Trash and it shows, from NCSfot throwing shit to the wall and hopeing for one to stick, from Black Desert Online's Pay-2-Win Camouflage armor, to Korean MMOs only working in Korea, cause the culture of South Korea goes like "hmm, I can use my salary to buy new clothes IRL, maybe build to a pension fund... or I can0 buy 10 sexy new Bikini Armors for my Waifu in-game and be better than the person notpaying to win. Ah, Capitalism". That's why poeple hate F2P/P2W games. It's becuase they don't want to be treated like mice in a Skinner's Box. South Korean MMO players give validation to North Korea's silly claims of "mental superiority to the Southernernes".

Moron = Greek word, means "baby" as in "you think like a baby", but not in the sense of "infant.".

And that's what people who want F2P games are in the end. Morons. People who have zero idea of how the world works, no idea that NOTHING is for free, and no idea how to control themselves mentally - more or less, millenials who never had to work for anything, milleanials who never held a job until  after College + 6 years -  wanting "I Win Button for 9.99 USD", instead of trying to win. When you'll start working, you'll understand why you want to spend your FREE TIME and HARD EARNED MONEY wisely, on things that have quality and will last for longer than 2 months that your average F2P Korean Trash MMO will get to last. 

I bet some people's parents never told them the classic line of "never take free candy from strangers". You should go to a rave party and take "free candy" from the first hot girl that rubs on you. I'm sure you'll have both kidneys when you wake up. And that's what F2P games are. They throw giant boobs and bikini armors to draw in the dullards and the dollars.

You want a house in-game, go friggin claim land and build it yourself. You got rekt? Too bad now go roll with an org.

And the very idea of "let them sell only cosmetics" never worked, in any MMO that went F2P. If the F2P model worked, WoW would have done it long time ago. Instead, they did the PLEX/DAC thing with the WoW Tokens, killing the Gold Sellers and keeping the no-lifer part of a server happy.

Well I did check EVE but they tried to make me register an account before giving up any info so I stopped there.

The closest thing I could compare it to would be entropia universe. 

Honestly I googled 'single shard mmo' and 90% of the first page is about DU, so im assuming theres no such thing as a successful single shard mmo out there.

Ah you mean like the page i linked to you where you don't need to register? ok....

Entropia universe is P2W - because of the starter armor you can buy, those packs with items in them and clearly because you can buy weapons from other players.

So they only make money and can survive by adding more and more super-uber-extrem items which people will buy. That's the main focus, as Twerk and many others said, of such games. They don't care about content, updates or any deep gameplay mechanic because they have to focus on stuff to sell to people to get money.

So yes, F2P does make a game bad (You play them for 2 months, then get bored because it's the same shit as every other game). With a sub the devs get money on a monthly basis and can focus on content and gameplay. That's why F2P will always have weaker mechanics, weaker content and shallow gameplay

EVE Online has been around for what... 10-15 years?

Vendetta Online has been running for at least 10 years.

Mortal Online has been kicking for at least 5.

Runescape has been around for a long time as well... I believe they had a free/subscription type deal going on too.

You keep saying we can't count WoW... but I say we can.  That thing is as old as time as well.

Darkfall Unholy Wars (closed now, but also had a sub fairly recently)

So many F2P games tank within the first year... most of these games have been around since the beginning of MMOs

Every single F2P game gets tiring, but games that had a sub (for me Face of Mankind, Darkfall, Mortal Online) kept me interested for years.  The re-emergence of P2P is a clear indication that players are willing to pay for subs for superior content once again.

@Bleep_Bloop has been trolling on this topic pretty hard lately.

This is just an example of one non-supporter who just wants DU but doesn't want to pay for it. Instead, the Devs should totally waste their time designing content that the paying players MUST have so that freebies don't have to put down a bit of money each month. Two nice coffees is the same price as the monthly fee for DU.

A dinner at Red Robin is the same price as the monthly fee. like get over it people lol! its a hobby, hobbies cost money.

Just disregard and move on ;)

@Bleep_Bloop has been trolling on this topic pretty hard lately.

This is just an example of one non-supporter who just wants DU but doesn't want to pay for it. Instead, the Devs should totally waste their time designing content that the paying players MUST have so that freebies don't have to put down a bit of money each month. Two nice coffees is the same price as the monthly fee for DU.

A dinner at Red Robin is the same price as the monthly fee. like get over it people lol! its a hobby, hobbies cost money.

Just disregard and move on ;)

So much assumptions all over the place. Never said I didnt want to pay for it, just that there is a good chance the devs will follow that route. Honestly fanboys like you are going to kill this game, calling me a troll because I question the outcome of the game and not 100% agreeing with you.

Just look at Dota 2, genre aside, its a living proof that F2P model does work. They are making billions from cosmetics and theres no P2W at all.

As for the WoW model ill say it again : it works because people are literally addicted to it. The company works with numbers, and these numbers show that for this very specific game P2P is more profitable due to its background and popularity.

I think we can expect a model similar to runescape or TES online: Base game for a price + an optional sub for extra content, like owning a piece of land, etc...

@Lethys yeah entropia is somehow p2w but as far as i know everything can be aquired with regular currency. Its still a sand-box game and not a competitive combat game so 'winning' lose most of its meaning there.

So much assumptions all over the place. Never said I didnt want to pay for it, just that there is a good chance the devs will follow that route. Honestly fanboys like you are going to kill this game, calling me a troll because I question the outcome of the game and not 100% agreeing with you.

Just look at Dota 2, genre aside, its a living proof that F2P model does work. They are making billions from cosmetics and theres no P2W at all.

As for the WoW model ill say it again : it works because people are literally addicted to it. The company works with numbers, and these numbers show that for this very specific game P2P is more profitable due to its background and popularity.

I think we can expect a model similar to runescape or TES online: Base game for a price + an optional sub for extra content, like owning a piece of land, etc...

@Lethys yeah entropia is somehow p2w but as far as i know everything can be aquired with regular currency. Its still a sand-box game and not a competitive combat game so 'winning' lose most of its meaning there.

Your informations are wrong, you don't understand key concepts regarding how the game will work, what's are the differences between a moba and DU, what sandbox mean and so on. I answered to you a few points on the other thread, so I'm not going to do it again here, but I highly suggest you to go read that. 

Btw see at it this way: they already invested millions of euroes already, they're not selling the base game (it's free), there'll probably be a free trial for people to try the game before buying, and their only way to make revenue is with the subscription (and DACs). Their only way to get back their money and make profit out of it, is by getting this game right. They put their money where their mouth is, you should trust them just because of that. And no, the amount Kickstarter raised is not enough to cover even half of what they've invested.

Your informations are wrong, you don't understand key concepts regarding how the game will work, what's are the differences between a moba and DU, what sandbox mean and so on. I answered to you a few points on the other thread, so I'm not going to do it again here, but I highly suggest you to go read that. 

Gee wiz I guess you win the internet for today bro

Gee wiz I guess you win the internet for today bro

I wasn't trying to be cocky or hostile, so I'm sorry if that was your impression, but my english is kinda limited. 

Hi everyone, 

As it is pretty much the same discussion in two threads, I will lock this one and advise you to continue in the one mentioned below.

@Bleep_Bloop: please read the reply here (this is important): 

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/11087-game-looks-like-%E2%88%9E10-so-far-except/page-3#entry50966

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.