• 2 DACs (value: 2 months of game time).

Ok so from what i see on the pledge badges at this link : https://community.dualthegame.com/pledge#description_anchor 

I those pledge choices it say you get given DACs (dependent on the pledge you chose), and DACs' short description is month/gametime...  

So is this game going to force people to pay every month to play this game?

If so then how much is the initial cost of the game going to be??? Charge us a fortune to get the game and then charge us monthly to keep playing the game.....? What about the poor guys out there that manage to save up just enough money to buy your game and then not be able to play because of monthly fees.... What about the guys that can afford monthly fees but then have something happen to them that their income is not good enough to cover your monthly fees and wont be able to get the hefty refund of the game purchase price,(because we all know that there is going to be a massive purchase cost on this game).... How many people are not going to play your game, or play it and leave (#world of warcraft) ..

I don't think it will be fair to players like myself if there are monthly subs to play this game. If you guys want to make money off people that have the luxury of being able to spend money on a game after original purchase then I think you guys need to make stuff for premium players or BOUGHT content that a normal player cannot get without using a credit card,( and trust me you guys will make plenty of money out of the people that can afford the luxury). So put in paid content but also don't restrict the poor players from getting anything. Let everyone get access to all content but just have to work harder at the game than those rich people who can afford said luxury's....

Please please please do not put in monthly subs, you will destroy many peoples hopes and excitement for this game!

•  

Hi Lexator and welcome on our forum.

To answer your concerns:

- Yes, Dual Universe will have a monthly subscription. We are aware that it's not a model appealing to all people and we don't try to everyone, because it's impossible. Also, due to the specificity of the game (costs higher in terms of server infrastructure), the team has come to the conclusion that the subscription model will be the only one viable on the long term. However, we have managed a way to play without paying a subscription. For more information, read below.

- The game won't cost anything, and expansions will be free as well. You will only have the monthly subscription to pay. You will even have free trial period.

- The DAC enable people who can (and are willing) to pay a Monthly subscription to be able to help paying the subscription for those who can't. DAC will be sellable in-game for in-game money (Quanta). So if you gather enough Quanta during your free trial period, you will be able to use the in-game money to buy a DAC from another player without spending real life money. Everybody wins: you don't have to pay a monthly subscription and the player who sold you a DAC - generally people who have more income and less available play time - will be able to gather enough Quanta for the activities they are focusing on, despite their limited available play time.

In any case, we are not currently planning to drop the monthly subcription model.

This has already been discussed over and over on the forum, many people have backed this project knowing this will be the monetization model, so a new topic asking about that won't change anything. We're planning on the long term, and with another model, the team is convinced it wouldn't be possible to make a durable game.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

• Ok so from what i see on the pledge badges at this link : https://community.dualthegame.com/pledge#description_anchor 
  • I those pledge choices it say you get given DACs (dependent on the pledge you chose), and DACs' short description is month/gametime...  
  • So is this game going to force people to pay every month to play this game?
  • If so then how much is the initial cost of the game going to be??? Charge us a fortune to get the game and then charge us monthly to keep playing the game.....? What about the poor guys out there that manage to save up just enough money to buy your game and then not be able to play because of monthly fees.... What about the guys that can afford monthly fees but then have something happen to them that their income is not good enough to cover your monthly fees and wont be able to get the hefty refund of the game purchase price,(because we all know that there is going to be a massive purchase cost on this game).... How many people are not going to play your game, or play it and leave (#world of warcraft) ..

I don't think it will be fair to players like myself if there are monthly subs to play this game. If you guys want to make money off people that have the luxury of being able to spend money on a game after original purchase then I think you guys need to make stuff for premium players or BOUGHT content that a normal player cannot get without using a credit card,( and trust me you guys will make plenty of money out of the people that can afford the luxury). So put in paid content but also don't restrict the poor players from getting anything. Let everyone get access to all content but just have to work harder at the game than those rich people who can afford said luxury's....

Please please please do not put in monthly subs, you will destroy many peoples hopes and excitement for this game!

•  

It's a game, not a medicine. You pay for commodities - like games. Welcome to reality.

• Ok so from what i see on the pledge badges at this link : https://community.dualthegame.com/pledge#description_anchor 
  • I those pledge choices it say you get given DACs (dependent on the pledge you chose), and DACs' short description is month/gametime...  
  • If so then how much is the initial cost of the game going to be??? Charge us a fortune to get the game and then charge us monthly to keep playing the game.....? What about the poor guys out there that manage to save up just enough money to buy your game and then not be able to play because of monthly fees.... What about the guys that can afford monthly fees but then have something happen to them that their income is not good enough to cover your monthly fees and wont be able to get the hefty refund of the game purchase price,(because we all know that there is going to be a massive purchase cost on this game).... How many people are not going to play your game, or play it and leave (#world of warcraft) ..

•  

Yeah as already stated above, this is reality. Servers cost money, especially for a single-shard universe.

DAC's will most likely cost alot less in DU than they will in for example PLEX from EVE. This can be contributed to the fact that every backer title comes with DAC's, theres atleast 8k backers, so right off the bat theres going to be atleast 16,000 DAC's in the game (not necessarily the market) but you also gotta consider that most people who backed are silver or above, so lets say 7k of the 8k backers got silver, that means 70,000 DAC's are in the game ATLEAST so theres not really going to be a shortage of DAC's. Ofcourse you will still have to work for the DAC but its not going to be way as grinding as for example again, EVE. further down the line there will be less DAC's in the game, but by that time you should be making enough to compensate for the increase of price and decrease of quantity.

to add to my point, if youre in a chill organization, and the people who are backers in it like you, they can gift you some DAC's too, so be sure to make friends along the way ;)

To again add to your point, the amount of quanta in the game will not be affected by hyperinflation since there is a limited money reserve that expands and contracts with the player-base (managed by the dev team).

I don't quite understand your disappointment (in addition to what nyz said):

On the refunding portal it clearly says

DACs can also be bought directly from Novaquark at an at-launch price of $18/€18

So if you buy digital gold you get 23 DACs. Worth 414€ for only 120€.

Plus with every pledge it says you get the game at launch.

So I don't quite get why you made this post. A crowdfunding campaign always gives you some advantages over others (if you back you get DACs cheaper or even a lifetime subscription). You don't HAVE TO back this game in order to play it at release - so no need to rage there that you have to buy the game and pay a sub. But you have to pay per month nonetheless.

Like others have said: welcome to reality. The sub covers the cost of the game and the free expansions. The sub is planned to be around $15, which is well within the budget of most people. If someone can't afford it, then they can't afford it.

Like Lights said though, DAC prices are going to be through the floor at first because there will be almost a hundred thousand DACs entering the game. So if you get in early you can probably play for free.

•  

Not to pile on but another point if you're concerned about the cost with this game you will likely have to spend far less then you would past games with a standard sub fee and buy in. Like said the game itself is free with a short trial period. So depending how you play you might not have to spend a single $ as long as you play the game. Even for more casual leaning players its a bargain because you can buy the sub with in game money you likely can stock pile them for when you take a break or not playing as much. Bottom line in the long run it'll be a cheaper cost wise for the average player with the added benefit of the Dev being able to generate steady income.

Repeating what I posted in another similar thread:

Lets get real people. Its 2017  pay 2 play models just doesnt work anymore except for WoW cause people are used to it . This game will probably be buy 2 play with micro-transactions. Everyone who have bought game time/DACs or whatever they call it will most likely recieve in-game store currency to spend.

They might add an optional 'premium' sub to let people own houses or other permanent assets on the server. P2P models equals losing tons of potential buyers and I doubt this game can afford that.

The devs might work with subscription for a few months for the sake of not breaking their promises on day 1 and creating a negative pattern and losing the trust of their customers.

Lets get real people. Its 2017 pay 2 play models just doesnt work anymore except for WoW cause people are used to it . This game will probably be buy 2 play with micro-transactions. Everyone who have bought game time/DACs or whatever they call it will most likely recieve in-game store currency to spend.

They might add an optional 'premium' sub to let people own houses or other permanent assets on the server. P2P models equals losing tons of potential buyers and I doubt this game can afford that.

Copy too:

You do realize that NQ WILL go for p2p because of several reasons which have been debated in length already. You WILL pay to play for DU. You should be able to read NQs statements in all threads, on the homepage and on the crowdfunding page. You know it's 2017, so you should be able to read

Fanboy triggered. I didnt even say anything bad about DU, just that the p2p model doesnt work anymore.

Wrong, many games are emerging with a p2p model... because it DOES work.  F2P is no longer working.

Citation:

Camelot Unchained

Chronicles of Elyria

Ashes of Creation

Dual Universe

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Lets get real people. Its 2017  pay 2 play models just doesnt work anymore except for WoW cause people are used to it . This game will probably be buy 2 play with micro-transactions. Everyone who have bought game time/DACs or whatever they call it will most likely recieve in-game store currency to spend.

The devs might work with subscription for a few months for the sake of not breaking their promises on day 1 and creating a negative pattern and losing the trust of their customers.

The game box or digital d/l of the game is free... and you'll be able to buy DACs in game with the in game currency or goods you acquire by simply playing the game. So one could realistically play the game and never pay one 1c for it. Now more likely you might have to pay with irl cash to sub if you start to play less but still its cheaper then just having to pay the Monthly sub with irl cash only.

So maybe sounds like do some more research into the game and try to see the bigger picture.

Wrong, many games are emerging with a p2p model... because it DOES work.  F2P is no longer working.

Citation:

Camelot Unchained

Chronicles of Elyria

Ashes of Creation

Dual Universe

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Lmfao, these games arent even released how the hell can they prove P2P works. Idk if you guys even know what youre talking about asking for citations, its more like a trend fading. Take classical music genre for example, can you give me a citation saying its dead? No, you can just witness the fact that its not the trendy genre anymore.

I thought EVE still had p2p and I just checked, surprise, its f2p now. Also The Elder Scrolls online became b2p not too long ago.

Try to link me a recent, successful game that had a p2p model for at least 1 year. Sure P2P will always work well at game launch when its new and shiny and people are ready to pay whatever is needed just to try it, but then the playerbase just shrinks until the game turns F2P.

F2P no longer working? You just pulled that out of your ass trying to prove some sort of point because you felt like I attacked your beloved game, which I didnt. Just look at Dota 2 and tell me F2P isnt working... inb4 the hurr durr dota isnt a mmo.

Edit: It seems that the people who got the most butthurt over my post were also those with the more expensive pledges $$. Coincidence?

@Bleep_bloop Don't like it/don't agree with the games style or they way they're running something? Don't play it, simple. The devs have already discussed between themselves and released the reasons for picking the p2p model and aren't going to change it. Whether it works or not, only time will tell. There have been successful and unsuccessful games of all models. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. We'll have to live with that if it happens. 

@Bleep_bloop Don't like it/don't agree with the games style or they way they're running something? Don't play it, simple. The devs have already discussed between themselves and released the reasons for picking the p2p model and aren't going to change it. Whether it works or not, only time will tell. There have been successful and unsuccessful games of all models. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. We'll have to live with that if it happens. 

That. I personally don't like the model Elite Dangerous uses, and thus refuse to play it - despite it being a space sim with arguably by far the best user interface and control surfaces to date. If you feel so strongly against pay to play model, then don't play DU. Plenty of us are here specifically because it's pay to play, something people have been begging for since BS like "DLCs", pay to win, or simply "pay to use any features of this game" became normalised.

I thought EVE still had p2p and I just checked, surprise, its f2p now. Also The Elder Scrolls online became b2p not too long ago.

F2P no longer working? You just pulled that out of your ass trying to prove some sort of point because you felt like I attacked your beloved game, which I didnt. Just look at Dota 2 and tell me F2P isnt working... inb4 the hurr durr dota isnt a mmo.

You should improve your checking skills - Eve is only f2p with alpha clone and serious limitations (https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/213020969-Alpha-and-Omega-Clone)

Instead, I would love to hear your examples of single shard, persistent, sandbox games with fully editable content which are F2P

Basically youre saying if the ship starts sinking they are gonna let it sink until they go bankrupt. Wow nice faith in the devs you got there.

You should improve your checking skills - Eve is only f2p with alpha clone and serious limitations (https://support.eveonline.com/hc/en-us/articles/213020969-Alpha-and-Omega-Clone)

Instead, I would love to hear your examples of single shard, persistent, sandbox games with fully editable content which are F2P

Well I did check EVE but they tried to make me register an account before giving up any info so I stopped there.

The closest thing I could compare it to would be entropia universe. 

Honestly I googled 'single shard mmo' and 90% of the first page is about DU, so im assuming theres no such thing as a successful single shard mmo out there.

Well I did check EVE but they tried to make me register an account before giving up any info so I stopped there.

The closest thing I could compare it to would be entropia universe. 

Honestly I googled 'single shard mmo' and 90% of the first page is about DU, so im assuming theres no such thing as a successful single shard mmo out there.

Final Fantasy XIV

Mortal Online

There are many games out there that have a "free" version that is severely gimped, and then a members/premium version with full content.  Mortal Online is just one example of that.  I believe DU may be going down that route as well, IIRC... 

Subscriptions still work, and I imagine that's why most of us are here ^^

Tired of F2P junkware.