What Should DU Citizens be Called Part 2

AccuNut

DU Citizens Title  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What Should DU Citizens be Called?

• Arkers
    • Colonists

Dualists is the quintessential reason why people think gamers are nerds.

Gross exaggerations are why Twerk can't have nice things.  And let's face it: it's better than Dualies.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to see colonists is in the lead now. I know it is more "generic" but that allows for more player freedom to imagine their own story. 

Arker feels too forced, as it seems, to me, to imply there are people who AREN'T from the Ark, which obviously isn't true, that we know of. 

I'm happy to see colonists is in the lead now. I know it is more "generic" but that allows for more player freedom to imagine their own story. 

Arker feels too forced, as it seems, to me, to imply there are people who AREN'T from the Ark, which obviously isn't true, that we know of. 

In my mind we are Arkers because we all are from the Ark not because it's implied that there's people who aren't.

Any human who's not an Arker is extinct. Not every human got selected for the Arks. 

Imagine all the backstory you want, you are still a person who was chosen and people back on Earth. would have labelled you as an Arker if it was real-life, cause it has a certain air of implication behind it.

You see, colonists choose to go somewhere. The english who colonised the Americas CHOSE to go there. So were Australians, they chose either working in the galleys or being exiled to a new continent. Arkers were chosen for the task. They were not given a choice, they were CHOSEN.

IRL, you would be branded as an Arker, not different than how a certain "bad" word, may be used within a demographic as a symbol of pride.

Call yourself a colonist, you will never be one. You are an Arker. You either own it, or live with the chip on your shoulder.

But I like the idea, that any person who's a carebear, tool or coward who wants rewards for no risk, could be called a Colon by me and anyone like me. 

You made a very good argument for "Arkers" Twerk, up to this point:

Call yourself a colonist, you will never be one. You are an Arker. You either own it, or live with the chip on your shoulder.

But I like the idea, that any person who's a carebear, tool or coward who wants rewards for no risk, could be called a Colon by me and anyone like me. [/size]

I am not bashing your opinion. You like Arkers because it makes the most sense to you. I am glad you like it! If it didn't make sense, I wouldn't have put it on the poll.

However, this brings me to my point: Colonists also makes sense, or it wouldn't be there either!

To many people, the backstory of the Arkship lends itself to players being Colonists, since we will be colonizing a new galaxy.

On the flip side is the fact that "real" colonists are the ones who are far removed from major centers of civilization.

What I am getting at is: there is no need to bash other people's preference or try to insult them by calling them, "carebear, tool or coward". (Perhaps I misunderstood you're meaning? If so I apologize. :) )

Personally, I would be happy to use either option, and am eagerly waiting to see which one wins out!

You made a very good argument for "Arkers" Twerk, up to this point:

I am not bashing your opinion. You like Arkers because it makes the most sense to you. I am glad you like it! If it didn't make sense, I wouldn't have put it on the poll.

However, this brings me to my point: Colonists also makes sense, or it wouldn't be there either!

To many people, the backstory of the Arkship lends itself to players being Colonists, since we will be colonizing a new galaxy.

On the flip side is the fact that "real" colonists are the ones who are far removed from major centers of civilization.

What I am getting at is: there is no need to bash other people's preference or try to insult them by calling them, "carebear, tool or coward". (Perhaps I misunderstood you're meaning? If so I apologize. :) )

Personally, I would be happy to use either option, and am eagerly waiting to see which one wins out!

I didn't knew the first colonists in the US went there cause Britain, Spain and France were going to be destroyed. Huh. 

Switch "Colonist" with "Refugee" in that case in the poll.

Yeah, try calling middle-eastern refugees as colonists as well. I bet they didn't leave their places cause they are terrible or impossible to live in, but they left for the Land of Opportunity in chase of the American Dream. Surely, they left for the chances in employment, not the chance to, you know, survive.

Like it or not, people in the Arkship are Arkers. It is just the demographic I would call such people who were chosen for the Ark and I wasn't. Arker has an air of good ol' human bigotry and a certain rolling out of the tongue as an insult by a non-Arker.

If you call a refugee a colonist, it only works in a condescending manner. "Oh, look at that kid from that worn-torn country. His city was demolished by bombs. Look at such a brave colonist." And we can't have two condescending words of bigotry on the same poll.

So yeah, change Colonists with Refugees. Refugees vs Arkers. Now we got a dichotomy.

Yeah. You did back yourself in a corner.

So, unless you change the "Colonist" to "Refugees" what you just said is just something you pulled out of your rear, sorry =shrug=.

This is not bashing, this is what's called "facts". Sorry, I don't usualy use "facts" for arguements, but I like people to back themselves in silly corners so I can poke holes in their logic, but now you just called millions of people flodding into the EU as "colonists".

Is it truly that simple to solve?

For those who want to be called humans, let them be called humans.

For those who want to be an Arker, let them be called Arkers.

For those who want to be called Colonists, let them be called Colonists.

Is it truly mature to start a circlejerk for such a mundane aurgument?

Is it truly that simple to solve?

For those who want to be called humans, let them be called humans.

For those who want to be an Arker, let them be called Arkers.

For those who want to be called Colonists, let them be called Colonists.

Is it truly mature to start a circlejerk for such a mundane aurgument?

I challenge you to Trial by Combat.

I have no good counter-arguments and I'll just make a mediocre "comedic" statement just to gain a few likes whilst Kuritho here has a somewhat valid point.

Here, I am currently bashing multiple people just so I can prove my viewpoint on what we should call players even though all of my arguments seem to always hurt someone emotionally or make their opinions seem invalid.

^

I'm so sorry, Senpai. But even I could not defend such actions.

^

Editing quotes are we? That and the poetry isn't inherently a valid point. Feel free to convince me about the point though.

I have no good counter-arguments and I'll just make a mediocre "comedic" statement just to gain a few likes whilst Kuritho here has a somewhat valid point.

Here, I am currently bashing multiple people just so I can prove my viewpoint on what we should call players even though all of my arguments seem to always hurt someone emotionally or make their opinions seem invalid.

^

Eh, 6 out of 10. But good try. I am impressed.

Editing quotes are we? That and the poetry isn't inherently a valid point. Feel free to convince me about the point though.

Point of the (admitedly) shitty poetry:

Why should we actually care and pick sides on what to call each other...

Point of the (admitedly) shitty poetry:

Why should we actually care and pick sides on what to call each other...

Because competition is the drive forward

I won't list the reasons I posted what I did Twerk, though they are numerous.

I agreed that you made a valid argument in favor of Arkers.

Others have made valid arguments in favor of Colonists.

This thread is intended to be a FRIENDLY poll to see which name most people prefer. Let's not turn it into something else please.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like I broke the 19-19 tie with my vote for "Arkers" lol

Don't mean to beat a dead horse but colonists does sound a bit generic imo, and Twerk brought up a great point about colonists choosing to leave vs arkers being selected (more or less) to leave Earth.

HOWEVER, I do like the term "Dualists" by some of you....