UNIVERSAL CONCEPT

Retired_samurai38

The concept of a universe with billions of planets in a game is absolutely genius; the experience could be limitless. I think that this is what Dual Universe is turning out to be. If they make one huge server with millions of planets, how could anybody find or see each other? I call this pulling-a-no-mans-sky. Yes, organizations do spawn together, so teamed up players don't go on scavenger hunts looking for other org members. This is smart. But, it's dumb that the entire universe is huge. I remember hearing that DU was supposedly one enormous server. About half of the gaming experience is typically players interacting. This is an MMO. But, how do organizations find other organizations? Will something like this ever happen? If DU does take a no mans sky universe approach, then the chances of orgs meeting other orgs are extremely slim.

To prevent this issue, there should be many servers consisting of 10-20 planets. This way, there can be more player interaction. There would probably need to be quite a few servers. And every server could be different depending on how the players make it.

I

Players cannot be able to choose servers, though. If you have one server that is apocalyptic and another that is peaceful, and most players enjoy war; the apocalyptic server will be clustered with players. To prevent the problem, players should be equally divided into many servers. If these servers get too crowded, it should be necessary to make more servers.

Please do not pull a no mans sky, DU. This game has so much potential. I think it could be that one game that punches Minecraft in the balls (and No Mans Sky too!). Servers is something that this game would need for player interaction.

Hey retired Samurai. I can tell you're new, because if you weren't, you would know that everyone spawns at the arkship.

everyone

While yes, eventually people will be able to respawn at ressurection nodes, that won't eliminate social interaction at all.

In addition to that, at the start, we will only be able to reach a few planets. We won't be able to expand until certain advances are made.

Basically, we won't have any trouble finding each other.

The concept of a universe with billions of planets in a game is absolutely genius; the experience could be limitless. I think that this is what Dual Universe is turning out to be. If they make one huge server with millions of planets, how could anybody find or see each other? I call this pulling-a-no-mans-sky. Yes, organizations do spawn together, so teamed up players don't go on scavenger hunts looking for other org members. This is smart. But, it's dumb that the entire universe is huge. I remember hearing that DU was supposedly one enormous server. About half of the gaming experience is typically players interacting. This is an MMO. But, how do organizations find other organizations? Will something like this ever happen? If DU does take a no mans sky universe approach, then the chances of orgs meeting other orgs are extremely slim.

To prevent this issue, there should be many servers consisting of 10-20 planets. This way, there can be more player interaction. There would probably need to be quite a few servers. And every server could be different depending on how the players make it.

I

Players cannot be able to choose servers, though. If you have one server that is apocalyptic and another that is peaceful, and most players enjoy war; the apocalyptic server will be clustered with players. To prevent the problem, players should be equally divided into many servers. If these servers get too crowded, it should be necessary to make more servers.

Please do not pull a no mans sky, DU. This game has so much potential. I think it could be that one game that punches Minecraft in the balls (and No Mans Sky too!). Servers is something that this game would need for player interaction.

Hello and welcome to the forums! It seems you do have a few misconceptions, which is okay! We are here to help! Like was mentioned above, everyone starts in the exact same location, so the problem in the beginning will probably how to get away from people. While the universe is procedurally generated (and therefore theoretically infinite) it is only as big as the section which players have mapped. Players must build stargates to get to other solar systems, a process which may take months. As a result, the universe will start small and expand over time. 

There will only be one server which everyone plays on at the same time. It will be BIG, but interacting with other people will be a very very common occurrence. I hope I managed to answer some of your questions. Feel free to ask any more questions you have and we will do our best to answer them all. Also, I would recommend checking out the dev diaries and FAQs.

Welcome to the community. hopefully you enjoy your stay. 

Your concerns have already been addressed and potential info sources pointed out, but I will also throw in fan-made DU wiki. It has plenty of links to quite interesting video interviews about DU, in case that is your preferred way to gather info: http://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Archive

Welcome to the forums. As the others already said, you definitely have no problems finding anyone in the beginning. You have a huge problem of getting away from them.

Later on there may be many planets inhabited but most people will gather in several places. Those people who want to be away from civilization (or have to be like pirates) will be on the outskirts somewhere.

This is not NMS. We understand your bias but please don't assume things only because of that bias

Well i responded to the duplicate but as the others said. We all start in the same area, getting away as Lethys said will be the actual issue. It will take people some time to be able to fly off and inhabit other planets.

Hey RS,

Welcome to the forums.

There will be a single server. Although thats a misnomer. The hardware behind the game will be a cluster of servers. Players wont see that in game though.

With billions of stars to explore, it would be easy for players to spread out too fast. Thereby turning Dual Universe into a sparsely populated No Mans Sky.

NQ, is planning on limiting that growth through various methods. One method would be the slow release of technological elements. For example, they could keep players "planet bound" for a period of time by limiting engines. Only releasing escape velocity engines when they're ready.

The same goes for FTL drives. This would keep players in a single solar system.

Finally, to establish a stargate, an FTL Stargate Probe has to make it to another star system. NQ can time the probe's arrival to limit expansion on NQ's timeline.

In doing so, they limit player expansion to acceptable levels and ensure player conflict and interaction.

Hey RS,

Welcome to the forums.

There will be a single server. Although thats a misnomer. The hardware behind the game will be a cluster of servers. Players wont see that in game though.

With billions of stars to explore, it would be easy for players to spread out too fast. Thereby turning Dual Universe into a sparsely populated No Mans Sky.

NQ, is planning on limiting that growth through various methods. One method would be the slow release of technological elements. For example, they could keep players "planet bound" for a period of time by limiting engines. Only releasing escape velocity engines when they're ready.

The same goes for FTL drives. This would keep players in a single solar system.

Finally, to establish a stargate, an FTL Stargate Probe has to make it to another star system. NQ can time the probe's arrival to limit expansion on NQ's timeline.

In doing so, they limit player expansion to acceptable levels and ensure player conflict and interaction.

I just realized that NQ has the power to delay such actions.

Spooky.

I just realized that NQ has the power to delay such actions.

Spooky.

Well ofc, why do you think there is skill training via time? To some extent this is too a mean for NQ to time actions taking place

People above have all ready explained things. So I would just like to say something I find pretty funny.

80% of this games marketing is about it being "Single shard".

You just suggested it be split up into smaller servers.

XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

"I was just worried about DU being turned upside down."

I believe basically everybody in this community is.

You're in space, which way is up?  :P

Actually I found an interesting v-sauce vid on just this thing a couple days back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJhgZBn-LHg&index=5&t=5s&list=LLZEU2DChuKoWAO92DzhbR_A