Ship Builder

CrackedJarhead

At this time there is no official word on what tools there will be to aid ship builders outside of the game. However, the topic has been previously discussed on these forums; here is a post on the subject. Lots of people have shared their different opinions; I am personally against the idea. I think it would benefit those who really have a passion for ship building for there to not be an editor, that way the economy of ship building is more specialized.

At this time there is no official word on what tools there will be to aid ship builders outside of the game. However, the topic has been previously discussed on these forums; here is a post on the subject. Lots of people have shared their different opinions; I am personally against the idea. I think it would benefit those who really have a passion for ship building for there to not be an editor, that way the economy of ship building is more specialized.

Perhaps a free Dual Universe Ship-Creator software so people that don't have a subscription (yet) can buy 1 by selling blueprints.

This system is obviously flawed but could quite possibly work.

Definitely not before Alpha. I believe the official plan is to have an in game editor mode where you can test ideas (note that whatever you build in that mode is not kept in the game world, i's just a way to test things). 

Personally, I am also a fan of having to design everything in the game world, as it makes ship design more challenging and immersive, but an editor is not a bad idea. 

Edit: I don't think there will ever be a stand alone editor. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm personally of the idea that an editor that is just that... a ship creator would be fair.  You'd simply be able to build the structure of a ship, you wouldn't be able to test it.

Testing would be done in game with "physical" resources.  Seems like a fair solution IMHO.

That way you can spend multiple days creating a structure... without putting it in.

Even if it ends up being a post-release feature, having an offline voxel/mesh editor that is compatible with DU, or an official "build only" offline tool would be a nice option in the event of server troubles or an internet outage. It would be extra excellent if blueprints for DU had a local folder, so that you could save your design to the same place as your Master Blueprints in DU

It would be nice to have a optional out of game editor so you could design the framework and see what designs suite your concept and taste without having to be connected and wasting materials when creating massive builds. It's use would be similar to actual architects and them uploading finished designs to a manufacturer that can estimate cost of resources and build time. Plus the editor allows you to zoom in and out and peel or look through layers of the build without having to cut and repaste the project. Also having the editor support VR for vive or oculus would be a plus.

Just download google sketchup, it's free. You don't know the elements anyway so you can't design in details, just shapes and colours is what you need. The game uses dual contouring, you can design any 3d shape, there's no need for a specific Du editor.

Perhaps a free Dual Universe Ship-Creator software so people that don't have a subscription (yet) can buy 1 by selling blueprints.

This system is obviously flawed but could quite possibly work.

I'm inclined to agree with kuritho. But I do agree with not ruining the immersion and specialization of ship building eco. Perhaps there could still be a middle ground where you can test design builds and sell things ingame without actually spending resources or needing to have a membership active? This way people could still have somewhat of a possibility to earn game time.

I'm inclined to agree with kuritho. But I do agree with not ruining the immersion and specialization of ship building eco. Perhaps there could still be a middle ground where you can test design builds and sell things ingame without actually spending resources or needing to have a membership active? This way people could still have somewhat of a possibility to earn game time.

The process of buying and selling things in DU require you to physically travel to the Market Unit that is buying or selling things.

If a player puts up an "offer" to buy 400kg of ore in a zone, you'll have to travel to that zone and deliver the ore to get paid. Similarly if you want to sell a blueprint copy, you'll have to "manufacture" the blueprint copy in-game, and travel to a Market Unit to put the blueprint up for sale. You'll have to travel again to buy a DAC to whatever Market Unit it is being sold at. The process of using the market in DU definately requires you to be there in the game.

However NQ already stated that there would be a Free Trial period of 2-4 weeks, and during that trial a player could potentially earn enough in-game money to buy a DAC and become subscribed.

Being able to use an offline ship editor to create ship blueprints might be a neat shortcut to starting that free trial with things you could sell, but there would be no way to test your constructs offline, it would be hard to gauge demand for constructs without ever having logged on, and people might not want what you built. food for thought.

Currently though, Alpha and Beta players get to carry-over their blueprints into the main release.

I don't think there will be one before Alpha, but it would be nice to have something like that eventually later on, it would save resources and building materials, that way you can really focus on designing your ships and finally build the final version in game.