Abyzmi

This is kind of a big idea... but it's something I've wanted to see inside of a game for a long long time. Just this idea being implemented would bring me and many players like me to Dual Universe and keep me playing forever.

It's important to note that when I say crafting system, I mean the system used to manufacture things such as armor, weapons, clothing, furniture, house decor, maybe even computers and technology. This would also include ship-based technologies such as engines, turrets, weapons, hallways, possibly even rockets and missiles and different types of ammo.

Players love customization. Personally, I love to be able to create a completely unique look that is totally my own.

The crafting system in other games is pretty boring. You level up your crafting skill until you get to a point where you can craft the next level of gear etc etc. All of the gear is pre-defined models that were loaded in to the game by the devs. It's completely repetitive and extremely boring.

What I would like to see instead is this:

1) Do away with crafting levels. That shit sucks. Make it so that any player can create anything they want to at any time.

2) Do away with pre-defined models. I'm tired of seeing every single person using the exact same armor as every other person. That's not immersive. That's boring. Instead, implement modular models with several different options to create a unique look with a maximum level of customization.

3) Put the customization in the hands of the players. Make the models that players create into something that anyone can use.

The Crafting Process

Phase 1:

The process would start with a blueprint. This is where the players design the object in question. It could be pulled up in a separate window with several options for the player to select whatever it is that they would like to create. 

Step 1: Select the category of item. Some items may have sub-categories. For example, weapons may have sub-categories of rifles, snipers, heavy weapons, or sidearms. Clothes might have sub categories of Shirt, Pants, Shoes, Jacket, Hat, underclothes, etc. A very basic model of the item would appear. With it would come sliders to adjust proportions, material types, colors, etc. A modular design would allow for added attachments.

Step 2: Select and customize attachments

On a weapon, this could include different barrels, various clip sizes, length of stock and grip, caliber, different action chambers to allow for semi-auto or automatic modes, etc. Each of these attachments could affect how the weapon performs. 

Armor attachments could create a specific unique look. Larger sets of armor could be designed with more protection in mind but detract from maneuverability. Smaller lighter armor sets would offer the opposite. The more attachments that are added, the heavier the armor may become. They could come with optics, helmets, various measures of technology, oxygen systems for non-atmospheric operations, magnetic boots for low gravity situations, pneumatic strength assistance, etc.

Clothing attachments might include sleeves, buttons, zippers, designs (such as stripes, circles whatever), etc.

Step 3: Publish Blueprint.

A published blueprint will be ready to build. It will have a bill of materials required to build the object that the player has designed. Different attachments might add different materials required and bring up the cost of the item. A higher cost would effectively promote lower levels of sophistication in mass-production.

Phase 2:

Now that you have your published blueprint, you must take it to a manufacturing facility. Large organizations could use the blueprint, and install it into a factory to have the item mass-manufactured. They would gather the resources required to manufacture the item and then produce them. 

Individual players and independent designers could pay organizations which own factories to build their designs and blueprints. Alternatively, large organizations can pay designers to create a nice blueprint for them.

Designers could become famous and well sought-after to design things for large companies.

Phase 3: 

Sell your items on the market. Watch them spread into the world. Watch them be stolen or destroyed and end up in the hands of people they were never intended to reach. Watch your designs become the most desirable items in all corners of the galaxy. Watch as entire organizations commission designs for armor, weapons, uniforms, drills, engines, turrets, computers, furniture, and so much more so that their people could be well equipped and fashionable. 

This is the kind of game that I would play.

Game Mechanics section, anything with a DevBlog on it's from the project lead, or go to the main site, Dualthegame.com and read them there.

I looked through all of the dev blogs and didn't really see anything about unique item design. Is there one in specific that you were trying to point me towards?

I looked through all of the dev blogs and didn't really see anything about unique item design. Is there one in specific that you were trying to point me towards?

Then look at the Ask Us Anything. They answer FAQs there.

Then look at the Ask Us Anything. They answer FAQs there.

Mine wasn't really a question so much as my opinion on a feature I would like to see in the game. But if there's something in specific that you'd like me to look at, I recommend you find me a link rather than sending me off to hunt down whatever information you want rookies to look at. 

I want to say this now CaptainTwerkMotor that was a terrible way to handle that reply you, obviously your understanding that this is a idea suggestion area obviously blew over your head..

You really should read a bit about a game before you start to post in its forums. All of these topics have been discussed at great length before or covered by dev blogs.

What I would like to see instead is this:

1) Do away with crafting levels. That shit sucks. Make it so that any player can create anything they want to at any time. This is still up for debate as to how the devs are going to hadle it

2) Do away with pre-defined models. I'm tired of seeing every single person using the exact same armor as every other person. That's not immersive. That's boring. Instead, implement modular models with several different options to create a unique look with a maximum level of customization. There are no predefined anything exept for a few "elements" that are needed for functionality and aestetics.

3) Put the customization in the hands of the players. Make the models that players create into something that anyone can use. Again there are no models. No prebuilt anything, execpt for the "elements" that are peices you add to your ship.