In game rule enforcement/censorship. Good/Bad?

Zamarus

Do you guys think devs should interfere with certain things like offensive symbols build by voxels and such? For example someone builds a swastika on their base or ship, someone else reports it and devs removes it.

Personally i think the game should be 100% free from censorship and rules about things like building potentially offensive structures ,etc.

If people are against it enough they should deal with it on their own. For example gather up and raid the "offenders" base or whatever. The in game 'rules' should be made and enforced by the players in my opinion.

What do the rest of you think? Discuss!

No one should feel disgusted for playing a game.

As for going out and taking things into your own hands... and if you're not part of a group?  What if the structure is protected... and you're alone.

NQ has already stated there will be some form of censorship in the game.  No specifics afaik, but it's going to be there.

I think dev censorship is bad Edit: It really depends how strict it is. If the community dose not like it they should get ride of it them self's.

I mean common if you look at anything long enough it starts to look like a dick.

But if this site is any example of DU we are going to have are hands full.

http://paint.reednj.com/#

then stop being a loner. Why play an mmo and pretend its single player?

im sur eorgs like CSYN will be against it and try to stop that shit. but in the end i think it should be left for people to enforce and make a policeing thing out of it.

It's an interesting question because I think intent matters.

If someone from India is building a temple in-game, the Swastika symbol doesn't really mean the same thing as some random trolls using it to aggravate other players. 

However, despite what we'd like, I don't think any of us can really convince NQ not to have to take action against things like that, simply because of the rather strict "hate speech" laws in France: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech_by_country#France

Those of us in America tend to take our Freedom of Speech for granted, but the laissez-faire attitude towards speech isn't really the way most other countries handle it. 

My personal belief is that the game should be free from censorship, but the reality of the situation is that NQ will most definitely have to censor some things regardless of how they feel about it personally too. 

then stop being a loner. Why play an mmo and pretend its single player?

im sur eorgs like CSYN will be against it and try to stop that shit. but in the end i think it should be left for people to enforce and make a policeing thing out of it.

The cool thing about a sandbox MMO is there's no cookie cutter way to play the game :)

I personally don't want to be looking at dicks, "cunt" "fucker" "pussy" "lololofaggot" written into a mountain all day.  It would ruin the immersion of the game, as well as the taste.

Thankfully, I don't think it will be that prevalent of an issue... and once the first few culprits are warned/blocked/banned it won't be much of an issue.  I imagine it will be quite rare, and the "censorship" will be an aftermath type of thing.

The cool thing about a sandbox MMO is there's no cookie cutter way to play the game :)

I personally don't want to be looking at dicks, "cunt" "fucker" "pussy" "lololofaggot" written into a mountain all day.  It would ruin the immersion of the game, as well as the taste.

Thankfully, I don't think it will be that prevalent of an issue... and once the first few culprits are warned/blocked/banned it won't be much of an issue.  I imagine it will be quite rare, and the "censorship" will be an aftermath type of thing.

Begs the question. Does your opinion about what looks bad weight higher than whomever built that. Also keep in mind it doesn't strictly have to be curse words or certain symbols.

oh comeon, if were gonna go that far, then google has to sensor anything at all bad. its a "business" after all. yeah sensoring in this game might bring more peace in our hearts but would require alot of moderation that might not be easy to get in the begginning as i dont believe player moderators should be allowed to alter areas as they could potentially do it for their own good

They should 100% censor any kind of hate speech, symbols or such. They are a business after all and who's going to want to do business with them if they allow such behavior.

Can you define hate speech? Because what is offensive to you, may very well not be offensive to someone else. 

Twitter has been censoring people too, and look at their share price over the past year as a result of it. 

This is getting a bit off topic here, but leading into a future where corporations are the arbiters of what is acceptable speech and what isn't is a ripe brewing ground for a dystopian future. 

As I said above, what will likely determine their course of action is the law in France around types of speech. 

This questions was brought up in a Q&A and answered; there will be a way to report things within the game. It is quite a silly/uncomfortable question when discussing an upcoming video game, but of course extremely relevant.

Can I build stuff shaped like wieners and boobs?

This is perhaps one of the first question we had about the game  We won't prevent this to happen, and it will most likely exist in the game, but we believe that it will be somehow limited. We don't think that the whole community aspires to use the potential of the game just for this, but that rather most people will want to fly nice looking ships, inhabit palaces, and role play in a SciFi context. The market will also select what most people really like and help to spread this in the world because successful things will be mass produced. That being said, there will be a mechanism to report abuses and we may act/ban if some law-breaking limits are crossed. Interestingly also, we will implement the fact that every modification of the voxel world will be stamped with the name of the player who did the modification. So, no anonymous boobs, you'll have to account for your creativity. If a majority of players don't like what you do, beware of the consequences and the bounty hunters!

They should 100% censor any kind of hate speech, symbols or such. They are a business after all and who's going to want to do business with them if they allow such behavior.

Good plan.

You got a sorta messy bedroom? Nuke it from orbit. You won't have to tidy up a bedroom, if there's no city block for it to even matter.

Can you define hate speech? Because what is offensive to you, may very well not be offensive to someone else. 

Twitter has been censoring people too, and look at their share price over the past year as a result of it. 

This is getting a bit off topic here, but leading into a future where corporations are the arbiters of what is acceptable speech and what isn't is a ripe brewing ground for a dystopian future. 

As I said above, what will likely determine their course of action is the law in France around types of speech. 

Its up to NQ or any private entity to determine what's allowed and what's not within their domain. If they say no swastikas, no hate based speech or symbolism then that's it, not allowed go somewhere else if you want to be a racist, bigot etc.

But honestly its not really THAT subjective, bigoted, racist, homophobia is rather clear as to what it looks like.

Also I think some get freedom of speech confused with freedom from responsibly of your speech.

Its up to NQ or any private entity to determine what's allowed and what's not within their domain. If they say no swastikas, no hate based speech or symbolism then that's it, not allowed go somewhere else if you want to be a racist, bigot etc.

But honestly its not really THAT subjective, bigoted, racist, homophobia is rather clear as to what it looks like.

Also I think some get freedom of speech confused with freedom from responsibly of your speech.

I personally don't agree. It is very subjective what about what is offensive and not. For many it's as simple as looking away if they don't like what they see. For others, they might take it personal and be filled with disgust/rage.  Regarding freedom of speech, what you call "responsible speech" is just a limitation of freedom of speech. In it's essence you should be allowed to say irresponsible things, else it's censorship. 

I support reasonable censorship. What's reasonable? Now that's a tough call. If someone builds a flying penis, whatever. But if someone is inciting Nazi propaganda or something like that, I would certainly appreciate that being contained and cleaned up. 

It ends up being mostly a judgement call the NQ will have to make on a case by case basis. 

Very nice way of saying "I have a fetish of having a gun on my head" but most of us don't share in that fetish matey.

Let me illustrate with one of my escapades.

In another game, I had an SJW go ballistic on me when I said "I watched the end of BSG and I cried like a bitch". Why? Shit if I know, but my bets are because I dared to assume other humans have emotional triggers to bittersweetly ending romances ( uhm, spoilers ).

I guess I should have assumed female canines or any female of any species is an emotionless golem, and I should have also stuck to my privileged white male role and not even dare to shed a tear or two over how Roslin and Adama ended up.

How dare I have feelings, amirite?

NQ should actually ban anyone showing any form of emotion. They should in fact require you to declare your sex, gender, race, ethnicity, and if you even DARE say something outside of your privileged role, you should be immediatelly sentenced to death by a thousand spoons.

For example, if you are straight, male, caucassian and european, if you dare say "I love japanese cartoons" you should be banned from the game for insulting japanese culture.

IF you can't see the issue with a PC police culture or policies within a game world, then I can't do anything else to point it out to you.

Begs the question. Does your opinion about what looks bad weight higher than whomever built that. Also keep in mind it doesn't strictly have to be curse words or certain symbols.

Umm, I clearly relegated it to genitilia and curse words, racism, and sexism.  Go to 4chan or some other avenue if you want to be derogatory.  Dual Universe is not the medium for your angst. 

So yes, it is strictly as such and there should be clear-cut, defined what's allowed and what is not.  And there will be, I have no doubt about that.

Umm, I clearly relegated it to genitilia and curse words, racism, and sexism.  Go to 4chan or some other avenue if you want to be derogatory.  Dual Universe is not the medium for your angst. 

So yes, it is strictly as such and there should be clear-cut, defined what's allowed and what is not.  And there will be, I have no doubt about that.

Not sure why you assume that i want to express myself with those things just because i don't believe in censorship. That is a slippery slope right there. And clear-cut is not clear-cut. Some might find genitilia based curse words bad but not implicit racist ones and the other way around. I'm not sure either why you seem to take upon you to state what can be said and not said on Dual Universe. Who are you to judge others expressions.

Yet again, this isn't about allowing myself or others to be offensive because i have some angst. For me it's just a matter of reason.

Not sure why you assume that i want to express myself with those things just because i don't believe in censorship. That is a slippery slope right there. And clear-cut is not clear-cut. Some might find genitilia based curse words bad but not implicit racist ones and the other way around. I'm not sure either why you seem to take upon you to state what can be said and not said on Dual Universe. Who are you to judge others expressions.

Yet again, this isn't about allowing myself or others to be offensive because i have some angst. For me it's just a matter of reason.

*sigh*

I never said you want to paint the world with genetilia and derogatory terms.  I am merely saying, that just like EVERY other online game NQ will be the sole judge, jury, and executioner.  There WILL be censorship, and it will be handled by them.  Nowhere did I say I was going to be making any decisions, that would be asinine and I assumed you would know that ^^

NQ has the right to keep their game clean, however they see fit.  And that will involve punishing genitilia and derogatory behavior.  Just like it is in every other single online MMO.

If you've played any online game before, you've gone through this process.  The only difference is the addition of visual additives in DU.  However, this has been seen in other MMOs with voxel or player input.

It's a non-issue.

If you're not singling out people, tearing people down, or being derogatory.  You have nothing to worry about.

*sigh*

I never said you want to paint the world with genetilia and derogatory terms.  I am merely saying, that just like EVERY other online game NQ will be the sole judge, jury, and executioner.  There WILL be censorship, and it will be handled by them.  Nowhere did I say I was going to be making any decisions, that would be asinine and I assumed you would know that ^^

NQ has the right to keep their game clean, however they see fit.  And that will involve punishing genitilia and derogatory behavior.  Just like it is in every other single online MMO.

If you've played any online game before, you've gone through this process.  The only difference is the addition of visual additives in DU.  However, this has been seen in other MMOs with voxel or player input.

It's a non-issue.

Well it yet remains to be seen. There is plenty of Sandbox MMOs and Sandbox multiplayer games in general that comes without censorship. It'll just have to be a wait and see thing now.

Well it yet remains to be seen. There is plenty of Sandbox MMOs and Sandbox multiplayer games in general that comes without censorship. It'll just have to be a wait and see thing now.

Name one.  Landmark had post-censorship (which will be in DU afaik... can't remember where, but pretty sure they commented on the issue before).  That's the only Voxel MMO I know of.  Then there are other FPS games that have custom sprays that have consequences if you use naughty imagery.  I can't remember any specific games, will try and find one.

I can't think of a single game (other than DayZ-esque games like Space Engineers, 7 Days to Die, and Minecraft) that allows me to draw certain symbols and get away with it if reported/caught.  

If this were a game like DayZ and such, I'd say go for it.  You can always hop servers to get away from such behavior, but you can't in a MMO.

Will also try and find that thread where NQ commented on the issue.  It was a fair judgement call, and shut the thread up pretty fast.  Unless I'm just going crazy.

Edit:

Can't seem to find it, so it appears I may just be crazy :P