March devdiary

Lethys

So if we need to reach a speed to break atmo and go into orbit goes this mean physics for planetary sling shots might be possible?

We can only hope.

I am honestly surprised there are orbits at all since that means more chance of bumping into things (though planets are quite big so maybe this is less of an issue), especially craft where all pilots aboard have logged out.

This is because empty constructs may lose all momentum/movement when all players aboard have logged off.  While this makes sense in that, at very least, the ship will be where you left it, it also means players have to dodge around these stationary ships.

We can only hope.

I am honestly surprised there are orbits at all since that means more chance of bumping into things (though planets are quite big so maybe this is less of an issue), especially craft where all pilots aboard have logged out.

This is because empty constructs may lose all momentum/movement when all players aboard have logged off.  While this makes sense in that, at very least, the ship will be where you left it, it also means players have to dodge around these stationary ships.

Someone has never read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.” 
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Unless you try, you won't bump into anything. Also, why the F would you leave a ship in orbit of a planet, when there could be a nice and comfy space station to park your ship in. If you abandon your ship hurr durr like that, bumping is the least of your worries, I'd go with GTA as primary concern :P

And arguemetns of "but I has big ass battleship" don't fly either, cause of the fact space is big, really big and your ship won't be 10000 meters long ass Star Destroyer, or 27 Km Titan - which are still PEANUTS in comparison to space and especially orbiting altitude.

Also, why afraid of collisions? NQ has no collision damage mechanics - period. Even if you bump, worse case scenario, you just orbit in another direciton. You'll relog in regards to your construct's core unit, not server geocode anyway - which is how Space Engineers does it IIRC or some other spaceship voxel game.

Also, I think it would suck if momentum was going to be "turning off". cause it would make slowboating offline an impossibility. Slowboating is the art of moving in sublight speeds isntead of warp... for many a reason, one of which may be about smuggling.

Someone has never read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.” 
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Douglas was referring to deep space or the entire universe. As it was clearly shown by the Vogon constructor fleet orbiting earth, orbit can be very cluttered.

Douglas was referring to deep space or the entire universe. As it was clearly shown by the Vogon constructor fleet orbiting earth, orbit can be very cluttered.

Yeah, but there are no space junk in-game.

Yeah, but there are no space junk in-game.

how do you know that ?

Can the orbit's be elliptical? Would you be able to perform a 'gravity assist' to get to other celestial objects more efficiently whilst using sub-light drives?

Depends on what kind of physics they put in, im not sure we know yet

I cant help but think that there'll be a lot of junk orbiting... But Im confident pirate orgs will "clean it up" :P

well if it goes like every other (build) game the start zone will be quite chaotic with junk all over

how do you know that ?

Why would there be space junk in a planet's orbital height, without a civilisation to polute sadi height in the first place? Most debri in orbit is from the numerous rocket launches.

It's like saying "Earth has a climate problem, and Mars' atmosphere is inhospitable to humans, thus Mars should be a reminder of what polution does to a planet."  Somewhere along the line a logical stream was compromised. :|

This looks amazing. The improvements are coming along very well and I am getting even more excited for Alpha launch. Keep up the good work Dev team, everything looks awesome! I really like the orbiting feature and I love how JC even is watching the community and is mentioning things like racing in-game and mini-games with the laser. He knows us all too well  :D . The designs for the new parts are looking great as well, the design team is on to something.

Last I've checked, salvaging was not illegal. :P

But wouldn't the salvaging be costly (maybe not making a profit at an extreme) seeing as it would probably take advanced radar technology, lots of fuel to travel between sites, and also risk 'dead' sites with nothing worth salvaging? 

But wouldn't the salvaging be costly (maybe not making a profit at an extreme) seeing as it would probably take advanced radar technology, lots of fuel to travel between sites, and also risk 'dead' sites with nothing worth salvaging? 

Costly... why. Blown up ship core? Cool, you can now collect the individual Elements and voxels, pile them in a container and off to the markets.

The worst risk you may encounter is salvaging a site others salvage already. It's the fastest way of becoming salvage yourself. In EVE it's called Ninja Salvaging and after big battles, it's not uncommon for people to try and "ninja salvage" the battlefield wrecks, only to be turned into wrecks themselves by people who keep guard over the salvage potential in that area.

As long as there are voxels, there's no "dead" site. Recycling in a game without regenerating resources is a necessity. You know, kinda like IRL.So yeah, salvaging Steel voxels, is as good as mining Iron and refining it to Steel, minus the hassle behind mining, transporting the ore and smelting it and refining it. That means you can sell Steel, without having to upset the cost of producing it. You just salvaged it.

So yeah, profit does exist and it's huge.

I think that there'll likely be a "hybernation chamber" or something like a bed, where you can log off, so that it saves your position when you log back in, even if your ship is moving. Otherwise is kinda annoying if you're playing with friends, people will be left in space all the time. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think that there'll likely be a "hybernation chamber" or something like a bed, where you can log off, so that it saves your position when you log back in, even if your ship is moving. Otherwise is kinda annoying if you're playing with friends, people will be left in space all the time. 

Positions are saved in relevance to a Core Unit. It doesn't matter where you log out, you will still be dropped into the postion in regards to the last priority Core Unit.

• 2 weeks later...