Americans VS. Everybody else (See: Imperial VS. Metric)

I read most of this, didn't see it mentioned, but in America, imperial measurement is popular because without it, football as we know it would be impossible to figure out. Its fourth  and goal on the 10.9728 meter line? It would stump just about everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

please no, metric aka base 10 measurement is clearly better. You probably won't even notice it.

the primary reason would be that in space we use AU and AU Is defined in meters.

1 AU = 149,597,870,700 m

The best part is, like people using miles and pounds, the "Imperial" system is not actually an "Imperial" system, it's an EMPYRICAL system which means "a measurement built upon a person's everyday observations". Just look up how the Yard came to be a measurement. It was King Henry the First's arm length.

Yeah, you might as well change the phrase "the whole nine yards" to "the whole nine arms". The "imperial" systme is THAT stupid.

While the emyprical way of measurement helps at times at expressing VAST numerical values ( like an Astronomical Unit, which is 8 minutes at lightspeed or the dsitance betwene the Earth and the Sun), using such a system to express measurements that are not scientifically accurate, is just a pointless thing.

Just watch any documentary made for 'Murricans. Every time they want to express dsitance, they say "that's about 5 football fields!"

yeah, welcome to 'Murica, they invented a new measurement, Football Fields. Next step, measuring jet speeds not in Mach, but NASCAR tracks.

4 minutes ago, CaptainTwerkmotor said:

The best part is, like people using miles and pounds, the "Imperial" system is not actually an "Imperial" system, it's an EMPYRICAL system which means "a measurement built upon a person's everyday observations". Just look up how the Yard came to be a measurement. It was King Henry the First's arm length.

Yeah, you might as well change the phrase "the whole nine yards" to "the whole nine arms". The "imperial" systme is THAT stupid.

While the emyprical way of measurement helps at times at expressing VAST numerical values ( like an Astronomical Unit, which is 8 minutes at lightspeed or the dsitance betwene the Earth and the Sun), using such a system to express measurements that are not scientifically accurate, is just a pointless thing.

Just watch any documentary made for 'Murricans. Every time they want to express dsitance, they say "that's about 5 football fields!"

yeah, welcome to 'Murica, they invented a new measurement, Football Fields. Next step, measuring jet speeds not in Mach, but NASCAR tracks.

We aren't that bad... most of the time.

Like seriously though. Metric is so easy to learn! It's just my childhood had this bs system engraved into it so my metric sense of distance needs to have a conversion before I can understand it.

Just way too sad.

12 minutes ago, MasteredRed said:

We aren't that bad... most of the time.

Like seriously though. Metric is so easy to learn! It's just my childhood had this bs system engraved into it so my metric sense of distance needs to have a conversion before I can understand it.

Just way too sad.

It's just as arbitrary as UK cars having the driver seat on the right, cause once upon a time carriage drivers would from time to time whip the people on the sidewalk while whiping their horses.

It's just as much silly as the mile.

The matric system is only good cause it's in increments of ten. A kilometer is 1000 meters.

Now the empyrical system... 12 inches is 1 foot, 3 feet is 1 yard, 1760 yards it's a mile - but a mile is not a Nautical Mile. Like... where is the logic in that? O.o

It's been awhile since I posted this, and since then I realized it was arbitrary.

I actually had a classmate do a small, extraneous speech on why we should switch to metric, and part of his argument was this chart.

English_length_units_graph.png

Now that's just... bonkers. Metric is on the right for a comparison, by the way. This got me thinking.

"Why do we always have to make things weird and complicated."

Fun Fact, did you know the speed of light is 16,999,000,000,000 Twips/Second?

• 6 months later...
On 10/24/2017 at 7:52 AM, CommanderLouiz said:

Awh Heck, I can say as a West coast Canadian we judge Travel Distance in Hours, spitting distances in feet, Intimates in inches, and precision sizing in millimeters...

I mean, I'll get by no matter what units you use... But if its all metric, I'll be thankful o7

Btw I'm stealing that chart for my toolbox Commander, I hope you don't mind ;)