Americans VS. Everybody else (See: Imperial VS. Metric)

Metric is still better than a fictional unit. 

lot of the world's population uses metric.

And metric can be taught in less than a minute (Everything in distances is done with prefixes [Kilo is 1000, Hecto is 100, Deca is 10, Meter is Meter, Deci is 1/10, Centi is 1/100, milli is 1/1000.] Congratulations. You just joined 9/10 of the worlds population. [However, there is much more but I mustn't teach you.]).

Compared to Imperial? We use body parts... That is correct. Body... parts... And everyone is different.

And making a fictional system is basically metric with different names and prefixes.

"You are 5 kilovoxels away from-"

"Jason. Stop roleplaying and use metric. 5 Kilometers."

"You are 3 miles-"

Jason was exiled from the faction.

lol I honestly don't care which system is used. I'm an older gamer with diminishing hand eye and increased laziness so less confusing is for the best :P

and also did you just pick the name "Jason" at random? Thats my actual first name..creepy... :o

lol I honestly don't care which system is used. I'm an older gamer with diminishing hand eye and increased laziness so less confusing is for the best :P

and also did you just pick the name "Jason" at random? Thats my actual first name..creepy... :o

What is your mother's maiden's name?

Indeed. Which like I posted earlier just have one system, or perhaps just making a fictional system might be better as well, less confusion all around. Its possible they just used km as a measure as a placeholder until they get their fictional system in the game.

Because that makes sense.

We should definitely measure distances in Cybrex Alts and speeds in Laden Swallows - european ones.

Metric is still better than a fictional unit. 

lot of the world's population uses metric.

And metric can be taught in less than a minute (Everything in distances is done with prefixes [Kilo is 1000, Hecto is 100, Deca is 10, Meter is Meter, Deci is 1/10, Centi is 1/100, milli is 1/1000.] Congratulations. You just joined 9/10 of the worlds population. [However, there is much more but I mustn't teach you.]).

Compared to Imperial? We use body parts... That is correct. Body... parts... And everyone is different.

And making a fictional system is basically metric with different names and prefixes.

"You are 5 kilovoxels away from-"

"Jason. Stop roleplaying and use metric. 5 Kilometers."

"You are 3 miles-"

Jason was exiled from the faction.

Metric measurement cannot be taught in less in a minute.  All you have done is instructed people in are multiples of ten, not measurement  All units of measurement are based on a standard like imperial measurements "body parts"  as long as it was an exacting standard that could be replicated it is acceptable.  The imperial "mile" (a pronunciation of milli) IS a metric measurement. It is based off 1000 paces as performed by a roman legion.  Since it was a roman legion you could darn sure it could be replicated EVERY time.  

And which meter/metre are we talking about here then?  The original measurement base of one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the north pole?  (Not the south pole mind you) The meter/metre that was MADE UP by the Metre Convention of bar composed of 90% platinum 10% iridium measured at the melting point of ice?  How about the krypton standard bulbs basis on wavelength?  Or finally, the modern day meter which uses the speed of light traveled in vacuum in 1/299,781,458 of a second.  Aside from the first none of these example measurements are metrically based on multiples of ten.

How will I apply these measurements in-game?  Is it truly easier to say fly in 'such in such' direction for 149.6 million kilometers because it's metric or will I give a standard unit of measurement of 1 AU which is the same distance and much easier to comprehend?

Measuring or utilizing speed or distance will never be as simple as saying "use metric".

This should be a non-issue as there will be no other points of reference within the game itself. I don't think we will have a clear idea of what yards or miles really look like and feel like in a video game, so using the metric system shouldn't be a problem.

Metric measurement cannot be taught in less in a minute.  All you have done is instructed people in are multiples of ten, not measurement  All units of measurement are based on a standard like imperial measurements "body parts"  as long as it was an exacting standard that could be replicated it is acceptable.  The imperial "mile" (a pronunciation of milli) IS a metric measurement. It is based off 1000 paces as performed by a roman legion.  Since it was a roman legion you could darn sure it could be replicated EVERY time.  

And which meter/metre are we talking about here then?  The original measurement base of one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the north pole?  (Not the south pole mind you) The meter/metre that was MADE UP by the Metre Convention of bar composed of 90% platinum 10% iridium measured at the melting point of ice?  How about the krypton standard bulbs basis on wavelength?  Or finally, the modern day meter which uses the speed of light traveled in vacuum in 1/299,781,458 of a second.  Aside from the first none of these example measurements are metrically based on multiples of ten.

How will I apply these measurements in-game?  Is it truly easier to say fly in 'such in such' direction for 149.6 million kilometers because it's metric or will I give a standard unit of measurement of 1 AU which is the same distance and much easier to comprehend?

Measuring or utilizing speed or distance will never be as simple as saying "use metric".

So definition of meter has been defined to be more exact as science has allowed it, that's your problem. A whole lot better than measuring based on paces of legions that marched 2000 years ago, no matter how standardized their marching was.  Obliviously we use the modern day most up to date meter. Also none of those are supposed to be matter of multiplying by ten. With distance meter is the basic unit that has been scientifically defined (not matter of tens) and all other measures of distance are multiplications or parts of ten in very logical and easily understandable fashion. 

Also you are arguing because at realistic space distances numbers get big sure, that's why we have distance measures based on light (also AU, but it might be less known to people and would be overall easier to list light seconds (~earth to moon, maybe bit less) and -minutes, though I don't expect this game to have realistic space distances).

If you are arguing that saying "multiply by ten" doesn't explain how much is the actual distance (meter or its multiplication) is for someone who has no idea about metric systems or point of reference then of course it doesn't make people instantly comprehend the exact scale. Thing is, that is the exact same for any system of measurement. Come to Europe, explain how foot and yard relate and ask person to imagine 100 yards long thing, many probably wont have a clue to how long they need to imagine. Thing is that majority of the world already uses metric and understands what meter or kilometer means and when you comprehend some of the units you have some sense of others, since they are logical multiplications. 

So definition of meter has been defined to be more exact as science has allowed it, that's your problem. A whole lot better than measuring based on paces of legions that marched 2000 years ago, no matter how standardized their marching was. Obliviously we use the modern day most up to date meter. Also none of those are supposed to be matter of multiplying by ten. With distance meter is the basic unit that has been scientifically defined (not matter of tens) and all other measures of distance are multiplications or parts of ten in very logical and easily understandable fashion.

Also you are arguing because at realistic space distances numbers get big sure, that's why we have distance measures based on light (also AU, but it might be less known to people and would be overall easier to list light seconds (~earth to moon, maybe bit less) and -minutes, though I don't expect this game to have realistic space distances).

If you are arguing that saying "multiply by ten" doesn't explain how much is the actual distance (meter or its multiplication) is for someone who has no idea about metric systems or point of reference then of course it doesn't make people instantly comprehend the exact scale. Thing is, that is the exact same for any system of measurement. Come to Europe, explain how foot and yard relate and ask person to imagine 100 yards long thing, many probably wont have a clue to how long they need to imagine. Thing is that majority of the world already uses metric and understands what meter or kilometer means and when you comprehend some of the units you have some sense of others, since they are logical multiplications.

Well as I already said I'm completely for SI units, because they make sense and are used by 99% of the world but saying that some European can't imagine how long a foot is....is....well....what do you think will happen when you go to America and ask them to point to some structure 100m away?

Besides: all si units are defined by some physical, measurable, steady variable. Look up ampere and volt, hilarious :D that's why si units make sense because they are actually everywhere the same and don't change.

Only kilogram is a problem, we only have one left and it's degenerating. And that's a HUGE problem. No scale can be calibrated. Not within a certain amount of error and this really is a problem so they try different things to actually measure a kilogram. Like they count atoms of a (nearly) perfect sphere.

Every si unit has had a long history of different tries to explain and measure them. Those depend on the technology available at that time and ofc it gets more accurate.

But for someone not familiar with it, it doesn't really matter what the unit looks like, he can't use it properly anyway.

It really doesn't matter for a game too if you use beard lenghts, km, yards or certain body parts to measure distance. If it's 56 beards away and you go with a speed of 5beards/sec you know what to do....

But for the sake of spaceships, NASA, exploration and distance in the universe: si units please. Au within a system, parsec everywhere else....that...just makes sense :)

American here and I'm fine with metric. In fact, it was about 4C this morning in Seattle and ended up around 11C by the time I was off work. We could really use a little 20C heat around here.

I think that regardless of what unit you chose you need to keep your entire org on that same unit, furthermore i think that you need to try and get anyone who you will be trying to communicate with in battle (like your allied orgs) on the same system. I think that it's inevitable that DU will eventually be using the metric system simply because of the number of people using the metric system IRL compared to the people using the Imperial system IRL.

• 3 months later...
On 10.4.2017 at 11:44 PM, Lethys said:

Only kilogram is a problem, we only have one left and it's degenerating. And that's a HUGE problem. No scale can be calibrated. Not within a certain amount of error and this really is a problem so they try different things to actually measure a kilogram. Like they count atoms of a (nearly) perfect sphere.

But for the sake of spaceships, NASA, exploration and distance in the universe: si units please. Au within a system, parsec everywhere else....that...just makes sense :)

I think there is some effort to redefine kilogram, it had something to do with the most perfect/smooth sphere ever made and counting atoms in it. Also, if game has parsecs lets not mistake it for unit of time :P 

3 hours ago, Stig92 said:

I think there is some effort to redefine kilogram, it had something to do with the most perfect/smooth sphere ever made and counting atoms in it. Also, if game has parsecs lets not mistake it for unit of time :P 

that's what I wrote too....

and I rly don't know why anyone would confuse a distance with time

46 minutes ago, Lord_Void said:

You can thank star wars for that jem

Somewhere is a thread buried deep with lots of flak where I admitted that I didn't see force awakens. And I admit it now again: I've never seen it xD

6 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Somewhere is a thread buried deep with lots of flak where I admitted that I didn't see force awakens. And I admit it now again: I've never seen it xD

The parsec thing comes from the original movie IV new hope. Though it was referenced in Force awakens

13 minutes ago, Lethys said:

Rogue One just came out on Netflix so it is the first of the new Star Wars that I've seen. The parsec thing is from the first star wars movie made though.

• 2 months later...