Dancing Animation Influences

yamamushi

It's probably not worth asking for Dance Animations/Emotes because almost every MMO has them in some shape or form. So I'm just going to assume here that emotes for dancing will exist in some fashion in DU, especially because we can already see some emotes being used in the footage we've seen so far (hand waving being the main example I'm thinking of). 

In WoW the dance animations are unique per player race, and each of them comes from a specific influence:

I would like to know what style of dancing animations we'll see for our characters, or rather what the influences will derive from. 

Will we see more Disco-Style Dancing? Salsa Style? Baroque Dance? Something generic like doing the Macarena? 

I won't link examples of every game out there that has dancing, suffice to say a google search for "<insert game name here> dancing" will probably return plenty of content. 

Something "modern-ish".

Of course you could ask: "What is modern...ish?"

It's relative. I'm personally not so fond of some of the disco-like animations (see video above). Some things are modern or would then be considered modern, some things are perhaps "timeless". Heck, when in doubt and given enough resources or time: The more you add, the merrier.

Ultimately, it would be relatively trivial in comparison to the overall game however. The personal use I could see is (random shenanigans aside) certain videos you want to make. Then again, depending on how big emergent gameplay and social hubs could be later on, it might be more vital. Or perhaps some sort of RP fanbase might benefit from it.

Boils down to "the more the merrier" again though. If you invest, you may as well cover diverse styles from more passive to active and lively ones.

On that note, a general broad offer of emotes is advised due to many possible reasons - even if it's just picture-taking in different poses due to emotes.

Why go just for dance emotes? It could really be a whole skill path.

Good old SWG. :|

But yeah, if NQ focuses on an expansion on something, it should be more sandbox things, than more ways to murder people in a vehicle or on foot.

Anything that makes for more RP communities to populate cities, the better