NQ-Nunc

New Volunteer Forum Moderators

As the Dual Universe community has continued to grow, we’ve been very happy to see how cooperative and respectful everyone has been. We appreciate the welcoming nature of most members and the willingness to help and share information with each other. This is vital to a thriving, successful, community.

We realize that as we continue to grow we’ll need an increasing number of eyes looking out for those who aren’t participating in the spirit of community or following our community rules. Several of you have reached out to us with offers to help us moderate the forums and we’re extremely thankful for your generous offer to help keep this community as welcoming and helpful as it is today. Obviously, we cannot say yes to everyone who has offered, but as of today we have sent invitations to some of you.  

If you sent in an offer to help us moderate, but did not receive a private message from us (specifically me) it doesn’t mean your offer wasn’t appreciated or that we aren’t interested in having you help us out. It means those we sent invitations to today meet needs we have at this moment, or expect to have in the near term. If you sent an offer, we still have it and we may call upon you to fill moderator roles in the future.

STOP! Don’t press that message button. We aren’t currently looking for more moderators. We also have a lengthy existing list of those who have already volunteered. When the time comes to find additional moderators, we’ll let everyone know with a forum post.

There are two things you should know about the new moderators.

1. They are anonymous. They will not be using their existing forum names to moderate. They cannot tell you who they are and you shouldn’t ask. They will have unique names that will help you identify them as moderators.
  2. We expect moderators to follow our moderator guidelines. We think it’s only fair that everyone knows what we expect from them.

1. They are anonymous. They will not be using their existing forum names to moderate. They cannot tell you who they are and you shouldn’t ask. They will have unique names that will help you identify them as moderators

Can they post here and at least say hi?  ^_^

Edit: I find it a touch unfortunate that these people must hide behind a pseudonym. A moderator is still a part of the community, even the volunteer group. I understand that it would be to prevent in-game trolling, power abuse, and the likes, oh well I guess.

Edited by DarkHorizon

You think you've got problems.

I'm Anonymous. And apparently I now have multiple versions of me using assumed names...

(I JOKE!! Welcome to our new mods and here's to hoping we rarely need them ???? )

Can they post here and at least say hi?  ^_^

Edit: I find it a touch unfortunate that these people must hide behind a pseudonym. A moderator is still a part of the community, even the volunteer group. I understand that it would be to prevent in-game trolling, power abuse, and the likes, oh well I guess.

Once we get them set up we'll introduce them under their moderation names. Let me be very clear. By anonymous we mean their existing community names and identities will not be shared, not that the accounts will be hidden accounts you don't know about. They'll have easily identifiable names they'll use when moderating. You aren't going to suddenly have an action taken against you from an stealth account that you never saw.

A moderator is still a part of the community, absolutely. That's why, in part, we decided they should be anonymous. Because if they aren't then they are constantly being seen as a mod and not as a person who is, first and foremost, a player trying to have fun just like you are. As soon as you know someone is a moderator your opinion and behavior towards them changes. Whether you do it consciously or not. We didn't want them to give up their enjoyment of being part of the community just because they wanted to help make the forums a better place for everyone.

We also feel, since tensions can run high, that we need to protect these people from retaliation and any kind of bullying or personal attacks because they made a moderation decision someone disagreed with. Doxxing, Swatting, and cyber bullying are real issues that many in the games industry deal with. We accept that, to a degree, as part of the job and have ways to deal with it within the company. Moderators are volunteers who are giving up their own free time, without compensation, to help make the forums a welcoming place. They should never be placed in a position where they have to worry about any of that.

Some things to be clear about:

• Moderators only have the abilities listed in the Moderation Guidelines.
  • Moderators have NO ability to ban or suspend forum accounts.
  • All moderator actions are logged.
  • In the event of a dispute or questionable action, the Novaquark community team makes the final decision.

Hopefully that helps everyone understand why we chose to make the moderators anonymous.

I'm Anonymous. And apparently I now have multiple versions of me using assumed names...

(I JOKE!! Welcome to our new mods and here's to hoping we rarely need them )

Its ok, we're all just alts of Cybrex anyways. :P

"

Ah. This is wonderful news! I wish all our new moderators the best. 

Congrats, good luck with the enviable responsibility and  

Cheers!

"

(I JOKE!! Welcome to our new mods and here's to hoping we rarely need them )

Gotcha !  :D

I do hope that 1 day we'd live in such a community where mods are not needed and we all live in harmony.

i hope not cuz then i cant use my weaponized constructs :)

Hi everyone, 

A short update (and clarification as some community members were confused) on the volunteer Moderators.

As mentioned in this news thread, here is the current status:

• Moderator accounts are made.
  • Volunteer Moderators have been selected.

However:

• Due to lack of Moderator rights customization, the selected volunteers are not in control (yet) of their Moderator account.

Why is that?

• In the current version of our forum (IPB 3.4.x), a Moderator is basically a Super Moderator and this gives way too much power (and responsibilities) to a volunteer Moderator. For many reasons we can't give a Super Moderator rank to volunteer Moderators.
  • IPB official support for 3.4.x has been discontinued recently, so we won't have support to develop customized moderator rights.

What is going to happen?

• The IPB devs have made an awesome job in the most recent version of the IPB Board forum (4.2.x) and Moderator Rights Customization is specifically an area where they've done wonders. For this reason, and also to improve the forum on many aspects, we are going to upgrade the forum in the near future (estimated ETA should be between June and end of July).
  • Once the forum will be upgraded, we will finish the Moderator Rights Customization and we will handle the accounts to the selected volunteers.

We hope there isn't any confusion left on the topic.

If some questions remain, don't hesitate to ask!

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.