3lonwatt5

I think it -should- be possible.

Now now, hear me out: Big projects require massive amounts of resources and high tech research & development. From this alone we can conclude that it's not a one person job, it's highly time consuming and will require a huge amount of currency/resources that also require a massive amount of time to collect. 

Lets say you have a beam-weapon. Just the beam-weapon alone will do base amounts of damage. Implementing an enhancement module will draw extra power. Extra power requires extra power generation, which means more fuel, which-you know I can go on. Point is, you will have to do a hell of a lot of work for a giant boomstick. I don't know about you, but regardless of how big this game is, you're not gonna hide a Death Star. 

Now, take in account that the secrecy of said project is pretty thin, a counter project could be started by rivalling parties not wanting the enemy to have such a weapon

All in all I just find it quite sad and disappointing that the community is not trusted to solve this issue internally. Your city block destroyed because a doomsday device? Yes please! Murder my base so I have reason to build good defences or join a good faction. Destroy my ship so I can learn when to leave harbour and when to stay home. Beat me down so I can get up stronger. 

Besides these things, consider the following the thing though: why would anyone want to undertake a massive project with the risks mentioned above and the investment "just to blow up the world for lolzies". They won't. If they do it's because they want to be the dominant force in the galaxy, which is simply not sustainable in a GAME (see EvE territorial time lapses via youtube). It would hurt their own user base in the same way as the current modern Western society benefits from NOT going to war with one an other. 

Again, trust the community to solve this issue. 

Alot of great points made, I agree with about 98% of it

I think it -should- be possible.

Now now, hear me out: Big projects require massive amounts of resources and high tech research & development. From this alone we can conclude that it's not a one person job, it's highly time consuming and will require a huge amount of currency/resources that also require a massive amount of time to collect. 

Lets say you have a beam-weapon. Just the beam-weapon alone will do base amounts of damage. Implementing an enhancement module will draw extra power. Extra power requires extra power generation, which means more fuel, which-you know I can go on. Point is, you will have to do a hell of a lot of work for a giant boomstick. I don't know about you, but regardless of how big this game is, you're not gonna hide a Death Star. 

Now, take in account that the secrecy of said project is pretty thin, a counter project could be started by rivalling parties not wanting the enemy to have such a weapon

All in all I just find it quite sad and disappointing that the community is not trusted to solve this issue internally. Your city block destroyed because a doomsday device? Yes please! Murder my base so I have reason to build good defences or join a good faction. Destroy my ship so I can learn when to leave harbour and when to stay home. Beat me down so I can get up stronger. 

Besides these things, consider the following the thing though: why would anyone want to undertake a massive project with the risks mentioned above and the investment "just to blow up the world for lolzies". They won't. If they do it's because they want to be the dominant force in the galaxy, which is simply not sustainable in a GAME (see EvE territorial time lapses via youtube). It would hurt their own user base in the same way as the current modern Western society benefits from NOT going to war with one an other. 

Again, trust the community to solve this issue. 

First thing I noted from your post was idea of modular weapons (or other systems). I think That would be a great element in the game. Either slam couple of basic beam gun at the front of a ship or stack up modules still the weapon extends through whole length of your ship that needs to convert most of remaining space into power reactors meaning you have a big ass gun to wipe out opposing capital ship... but thats about all you can do since there isn't space for anything more without bulking up the ship to completely different class. 

It would be a great way to unite people in my opnion.

If the people of a city or a planet hear that a local corporation is building a city destructing device they would all hop in their fighters and attack the construction site together.

Like an Elite Dangerous Community Goal but with actual effects.

As many people stated there won't be any gigantic/very destructive weapons introduced ever, but that is what an army is for. The"super weapon" will be a conglomerate of an entire Org all attacking at once which will be great to see further through launch. Imagine placing 50 cannons tightly around a single point and having 50 people control them. All firing at once you can basically create a "super weapon."

• 1 year later...