Scripting Languages

lukecfairchild

Puzzle pirates anyone? A hardcore game with casual mechanics. It's pretty stable but have horrible graphics and bad walk controls. By the way DU should use that game as an example for it's economy.

Well, EVE has a pretty solid economy, with every trick in the book being emulated, like bubble schemes.

Yes, Emergent Wolf of Wall Streeting the game is an option. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I'd like to see C# used as a scripting language too :) mainly because I like it and live it ... but also because it works well with C++ and the native compilation process actually uses the C++ compiler so it's workable and dam powerful :)

On 1/11/2017 at 3:36 PM, Hrafna said:

My first encounter with LUA was last night, and it's deliciously simplistic.

C#, on the other hand, is just awful. It looks awful, and worse, runs awful. It's repetitive and un-intuitive, spite having been created to be the opposite.

Speak for yourself XD C# is amazeballs for game development.

Have fun fumbling through your C++ state machine, I'll be over here with my fancy C# delegates ;P

• 2 weeks later...

It will probably be LUA only.

I don't know if the in-game customizable screens will be in HTML. And I hope not. I mean it's so cheap, there's no interest if it's not for an in-game net browser imo.

Surely some hard coded customizable thing would be better (LUA or even without necessary coding for the layout that would be NEAT).

IMO:
JS is quite flexible but really lacks orthography. I mean come on no one can read it but a mathematician, it just doesn't look easy to work with. Plus it's sometimes "too flexible" as it will let you do errors that can lead the project to be full of it (cool debugging afterwards...).

C# is just bliss... it's C++ but easier, and is good to begin with, but really less powerful and flexible than C++ that is more customizable. But it also let errors pass the net, so you have some debugging issues where you can't find where the code leak is, or why it occurs.

C++ let practically no error passing by, they are all detected on build, but that means more work, and is not needed for a small project.

So basically in DU the best would be LUA embedded. JS is for the web and web games sometimes, even though it's not the only option for web games, and I prefer other solutions.

Long live little LUA and compiled languages.

LUA is AMAZING for user-friendliness. Anyone with the slightest knack for coding can get the hang of it very quickly. (See: Unending list of GMOD scripted contraptions)

Javascript is a backwards language for front-end development, why would you want to create flight control systems and other robust systems with it, like PID controllers? Madness.

Both Javascript and Lua are Prototype-based Object Oriented languages.... the difference between them is as slim can be....

Even their most defining feature is the same, functions as first-class values.

I don't see any reason to why people would argue one is better than the other, it is just syntactic sugar pretty much.

• 2 months later...

Js isn't Object Orientated (but prototype), at least not when used raw. It's not made to be so (prototype is not object but seem like it).

LUA comes from C++ and is easily implemented in-game, and is Object Orientated (like C++ and C#). Plus it will let pass way few errors than Js that kind of let everything go through as functions and variables don't have type to begin with. I don't know much about LUA but Js is kind of not user friendly and unstable (even though the syntax is easy, organizing your code can be tough).

6 hours ago, Leonis said:

Js isn't Object Orientated (but prototype), at least not when used raw. It's not made to be so (prototype is not object but seem like it).

LUA comes from C++ and is easily implemented in-game, and is Object Orientated (like C++ and C#). Plus it will let pass way few errors than Js that kind of let everything go through as functions and variables don't have type to begin with. I don't know much about LUA but Js is kind of not user friendly and unstable (even though the syntax is easy, organizing your code can be tough).

Indeed.

JS is indeed excellent for bringing to life the DOM of an HTML. It's good when it can refer to objects in this frame.

Lua is strong when used for nesting large functions or even creating modularity via variables. It's  simple to use and difficult to master.

C# is just Microsoft's Java. Same shit.

37 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

Perhaps the community can build a <insert language here> interpreter in Lua?

The Lua that DU provides us will be a small subset of the complete Lua language. This would likely make it impossible to add or even create a new/existing language to DU, let alone create a plug in OS like you implied recently in another thread.

Even if you were able to do such a thing I think DU would cripple such a capability due to performance, security and stability issues that would arise from such code.