Hello everyone! I'm excited to be here!

I might have a somewhat different background than most people here as the only MMO I have really played is Eve Online, and even that I didn't stick with super long.  My background is mostly in strategy games (my current favorites are Stellaris and Rimworld but I've been playing since the original Starcraft).

I'm really excited for the concept of a single-shard, overwhelmingly player-run game without time dilation.  I'm also excited for the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a game like this.  I can't honestly see myself designing ships but I'm excited for almost everything else.  I can't decide whether I want to try and build a space empire, run a small mercenary organization, build an industrial/financial powerhouse, or just join a good organization and meet some great people.  So many things to do, so little time.

One question, if I may.  If I pledge now, can I upgrade the pledge later (its clear kickstarter backers can, but alas I did not back during the kickstarter)?  For instance, I was thinking of pledging gold tier now and upgrading to ruby (for the lifetime subscription) if the alpha and beta are promising. 

Welcome to the community,

you have time to decide where you want to be, what you want to do and with whom you want to play. Look around, get to know people and have fun

Yes you can upgrade but be aware that you might not be able to do so for long because there might be some changes to the rewards and/or the amount of money needed to upgrade.

Welcome to the community, you are not alone in being more experienced in RTS than MMO games. NQ will let us know beforehand when this current pledging campaign ends, after that the pledge options might very well change. 

There is still plenty of time to fit into the community, go at your own pace. I will list some community-related links to places I personally think as useful, maybe they will be of use. Or you can just ignore them, which is usually smart when dealing with unknown links. Regardless, a good day to you.

• http://dusleepers.fr/index.html <-- A fan-made site listing Dual Universe's main happenings and info about some of the organisations. 
  • DU Explorers <-- Organisation that works as a smaller community, especially active in Discord and a good way to chat with various fellows. 
  • http://www.du-stats.com/cmap/ <-- DU community's personnel and organisations visually interpreted.

I might have a somewhat different background than most people here as the only MMO I have really played is Eve Online, and even that I didn't stick with super long.  My background is mostly in strategy games (my current favorites are Stellaris and Rimworld but I've been playing since the original Starcraft).

I'm really excited for the concept of a single-shard, overwhelmingly player-run game without time dilation.  I'm also excited for the opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a game like this.  I can't honestly see myself designing ships but I'm excited for almost everything else.  I can't decide whether I want to try and build a space empire, run a small mercenary organization, build an industrial/financial powerhouse, or just join a good organization and meet some great people.  So many things to do, so little time.

One question, if I may.  If I pledge now, can I upgrade the pledge later (its clear kickstarter backers can, but alas I did not back during the kickstarter)?  For instance, I was thinking of pledging gold tier now and upgrading to ruby (for the lifetime subscription) if the alpha and beta are promising. 

Welcome to the community! Always good to see new faces! o7

Coming from EVE, you will fit right in here. This game will have many similarities to EVE (though it will also be very different). The choice of how you play is up to you and there are many great options. There are a lot of great organizations already in existence on every topic, and you can always create your own!

You can upgrade your pledge later, but they will eventually shut down the crowdfunding so make sure you watch out for any announcements about that. (They promised to give a week or two notice when they shut it down.)

Welcome to the community! Always good to see new faces! o7

Coming from EVE, you will fit right in here. This game will have many similarities to EVE (though it will also be very different). The choice of how you play is up to you and there are many great options. There are a lot of great organizations already in existence on every topic, and you can always create your own!

You can upgrade your pledge later, but they will eventually shut down the crowdfunding so make sure you watch out for any announcements about that. (They promised to give a week or two notice when they shut it down.)

I believe It said somewhere that they are keeping the current version of the pledge system open until the end of the alpha.

Edit: May be remembering that wrong though.

There are still forms of time dilation, but just not in the way that's been done in the past. With any luck it will feel much better on our end when we are playing.

Welcome to the community and forums, beware the feral fan's.

There are still forms of time dilation, but just not in the way that's been done in the past. With any luck it will feel much better on our end when we are playing.

Welcome to the community and forums, beware the feral fan's.

Interesting... could you kindly point me to where I can learn more about the time dilation DU will use? It wasn't mentioned in the server technology dev diary.

Interesting... could you kindly point me to where I can learn more about the time dilation DU will use? It wasn't mentioned in the server technology dev diary.

There is not time dilation, per se. What they have is more like Dynamic Space Partitioning that splits an area up into multiple regions that are handled by different bits of the server cluster. This means that time always runs at full speed where you are, but runs slower farther away (relative to you).