RDMS and mistaken identity via Implant Salvage

mrjacobean

Since your body is still there when you 'die' (you don't really, but a body is left behind), people would be able to loot your implant (you know, the thing used to define to RDMS who you are and what you 'know' skills wise).

With this looted implant, you could retrieve the bit that broadcasts your signature, along with RDMS data. A quick reverse engineer later would allow you to have (maybe temporarily) the ability to impersonate the implant's last owner (i.e. the guy you salvaged it from), at least from a computer's perspective.

How the impersonation would be limited is that it would only last for a limited amount of time once activated, due to the degrading remnants of the implant. It would also not change your appearance, so other people would recognise you as an impostor (unless you have that field covered). It would also not change your DNA, so a DNA test (like at a high security bank) would not work, instantly throwing up red flags whilst that guard next to you pulls out his gun on you (this is, unless you can fool that too, Mr Bond).

Are you Yay or Nay? Did I miss anything? Any other suggestions? Well then, get to it!

Yay. It would. Be cool just because you could bypass security systems for a time for example (flags handed out by rdms and turrets shooting atin your). It should be limited by time too, just to prevent abuse.

Sorry for typos. I'm ddrunk

This would be a neat idea, making a stealthy break-in possible; the classic "take out the guard and use is hand to open the door" move. Yeah, it would definitely need a time limit. Perhaps also, if the implant is stolen, then the owners of whatever tags the implant had are notified that an implant has been breached; so they don't know whose it is, they just know they need to 'change the locks'. This would give time for the perpetrator to use the stolen tags, but also give the owners of the tag a chance to react.

I say, use the Implant in conjunction with an "Active Camouflage" module, to transform a person to the way the person looked at the moment of "death", armor and all (as the implant would hold track of that sort of data). The Active Camouflage module needs training, otherwise, only the RDMS IFF property applies, no name / colortheme changes.

Also, the implant shoudl have an expiration timer of an hour to two hours, so it needs to be reverse engineered asap ,or you risk losing access to a great tactical asset if left unattended. ( If you who read this like the "urgent nature" of certain quests, you got the thrill from this).

It should also require a particular "cross training", in medicine and engineering, as well as hacking, in order to get access to the salvaging of the implant, so there comes a new profession in the game "Neuromancer" we should call it, because cyberpunk.

That being said, this asset could be utilised to make a terrifying and out right ILLEGAL good to sell within a civilised city in-game, cause of the paranoia it induces. Here you go, Smugglers became a thing, and also, outlawing of a perticular good ( for those less fortunate on the mental faculties department to require "illegal" goods to be smugglers).

And also, Black Ops groups. If you kill a bunch of people disguisedd as another faction, that's legitimate black Ops happening and another thing to be outlawed by sovereign states in-game (because paranoia is not a good thing, I would know, I swim in it ).

That being said, for the RDMS department, the implant should have a limit of how many DIRECT INTERACTIONS with an RDMS system a person can have while in disguise before it fails, expanded and limited by the Skill Training system, i.e. "Rterofitted Camouflage V" aalows for 10 DIRECT interactions with RDMS systems, i.e. bypassing a containers RDMS parameters while in disguise, without having to rely on other means, like hacking.

What is a NON DIRECT RDMS itneraction? Beign scanned by sensors, being scanend for a "show info" from another player, your name being displayed above your head and the color of it (Green-Friendly or w/e the person's standing is that you impersonate).

And this implant would not only work for "top level" of access. Sometimes, the best disguise, is being the common bloke. Being digsuised as a miner, a common joe coming to town to buy some stuff, is sometimes the best infiltration. I mean, shinobi dressed as monks to enter a city... and so did Allies and Nazi operatives in WW2, yes, they dressed as priests to be low-key. I mean, would you think a priest is there to blow your crib to smithereens? No, neither would a bunch on meat-heads think a miner is a threat. I mean, that person is part of the " Mining Co. ", you can't go more low-key than Mining Co. .

Unless the same person you impersonate is spotted by another fella of his organisation and then said person realsies that the person he sees is not the actual person in hiso rg, cause that person in his org is actually asleep and offline at that moment.

Much intrigue, many spy games, such paranoia, so marketable.

Just think down the line, DU making a "The Nature of a Sandbox" ala EVE's famous "Butterfly Effect" trailer, or even think the multifaceted levels of security some banks would have to go through or the levels of intelligence an infiltration would have to invest into a heist.

That being said, for the RDMS department, the implant should have a limit of how many DIRECT INTERACTIONS with an RDMS system a person can have while in disguise before it fails, expanded and limited by the Skill Training system, i.e. "Rterofitted Camouflage V" aalows for 10 DIRECT interactions with RDMS systems, i.e. bypassing a containers RDMS parameters while in disguise, without having to rely on other means, like hacking.

I would say that there is a chance that the implant will fail rather than a fixed amount. The fail chance starts at  zero and increases for every action. Some skill training could decrease the starting value or reduce the chance increase per action. This would lead to more of a risk and reward game, where you could try to push your luck doing more complex espionage.

Also, it should only count for RDMS systems that you don't have access to (i.e. you don't increase chance of detection by activating something your own implant would have access to, such as a door or a sniper rifle).

Perhaps also, if the implant is stolen, then the owners of whatever tags the implant had are notified that an implant has been breached; so they don't know whose it is, they just know they need to 'change the locks'. This would give time for the perpetrator to use the stolen tags, but also give the owners of the tag a chance to react.

Shouldn't they be told this by the victim or whoever was with them? Having it automated would not be good for complex/long term espionage.

I would say that there is a chance that the implant will fail rather than a fixed amount. The fail chance starts at  zero and increases for every action. Some skill training could decrease the starting value or reduce the chance increase per action. This would lead to more of a risk and reward game, where you could try to push your luck doing more complex espionage.

Also, it should only count for RDMS systems that you don't have access to (i.e. you don't increase chance of detection by activating something your own implant would have access to, such as a door or a sniper rifle).

Nobody likes to have randomness involved in a possible investment of time and money. Chances of failure should be deducted out of player interaction, not "lolzies, the server dice rolled on the 0.01%, so screw you, you lose thief".

Detection is a very loose term used. It's the old adage "if a twig falls in the forest and nobody is near to hear it, did it ever make a sound". The answer is yes, but people in-game will hear the noise only when you'll be 100 billions richer and making fun of them for overcoming their security measures.

Having a certain nubmer of maximum uses out of an implant when directly interfacing, only makes it a race between vault designers who will place X amount of RDMS layers to get to a vault and the thieves working their way into the vault through the RDMS by juggling multiiple implants across different people or even using a window of opportunity in a "maintenance" hour, cause them codes need to be manually reset on the La scripts for some Doors.

Also, malware detection IRL, doesn't work with chance, but rather filtering. Same goes for infiltration attempt via co-opted means. The fact an implant may have 10 uses out of its direct interactions, only means that a bank needs 30 layers of defense to get to its vault. That means the thieves need to be 4 at least to get past the security RDMS checkpoints (not including knowing the codes for the job). And they can't drop disguise, cause you know, alarms go off as they are branded as intruders, they need to keep the disguise as long as possible. 

And you see the inherit issue with the heist situation at least. In a conspiracy of 3, two are cops, and one is an idiot, let alone in a conspiracy of 4, the clusterfuck only gets wierder.

Let's leave RNG out of such a field that needs planning ahead and anticipating PLAYER obstacles, rather than "oopies, youi planned this for a year, but guess what, RNGesus said you need to F off and die." The RDMS is a means to an end, and there should be very complex ways of circumventing it temporarily.

Sounds fun to have RNG? No, sounds terrible.

But it does sound amazing for certain people that will plan a heist perfectly, by infiltrating a bank as a security. These people are the reason EVE makes news every other month over how people stole 20 Trillion ISK in a heist, after infiltrating a corporation for over a year.

And DU can make a mad marketing on "you play a rogue in WoW, a thief in Final Fantasy, or a ninja in any Korean MMO. But in DU, you can be an actual master thief" then going on about an in-game heist on a marketing trailer.

You know what sounds bad in that mix? "Oh, you may be a 201 IQ person, but RNG is RNG you may fail on your mission you planned over a year cause of RNG".

See what I mean?

Nobody likes to have randomness involved in a possible investment of time and money. Chances of failure should be deducted out of player interaction, not "lolzies, the server dice rolled on the 0.01%, so screw you, you lose thief".

Detection is a very loose term used. It's the old adage "if a twig falls in the forest and nobody is near to hear it, did it ever make a sound". The answer is yes, but people in-game will hear the noise only when you'll be 100 billions richer and making fun of them for overcoming their security measures.

Having a certain nubmer of maximum uses out of an implant when directly interfacing, only makes it a race between vault designers who will place X amount of RDMS layers to get to a vault and the thieves working their way into the vault through the RDMS by juggling multiiple implants across different people or even using a window of opportunity in a "maintenance" hour, cause them codes need to be manually reset on the La scripts for some Doors.

Also, malware detection IRL, doesn't work with chance, but rather filtering. Same goes for infiltration attempt via co-opted means. The fact an implant may have 10 uses out of its direct interactions, only means that a bank needs 30 layers of defense to get to its vault. That means the thieves need to be 4 at least to get past the security RDMS checkpoints (not including knowing the codes for the job). And they can't drop disguise, cause you know, alarms go off as they are branded as intruders, they need to keep the disguise as long as possible.

And you see the inherit issue with the heist situation at least. In a conspiracy of 3, two are cops, and one is an idiot, let alone in a conspiracy of 4, the clusterfuck only gets wierder.

Let's leave RNG out of such a field that needs planning ahead and anticipating PLAYER obstacles, rather than "oopies, youi planned this for a year, but guess what, RNGesus said you need to F off and die." The RDMS is a means to an end, and there should be very complex ways of circumventing it temporarily.

But it does sound amazing for certain people that will plan a heist perfectly, by infiltrating a bank as a security. These people are the reason EVE makes news every other month over how people stole 20 Trillion ISK in a heist, after infiltrating a corporation for over a year.

And DU can make a mad marketing on "you play a rogue in WoW, a thief in Final Fantasy, or a ninja in any Korean MMO. But in DU, you can be an actual master thief" then going on about an in-game heist on a marketing trailer.

You know what sounds bad in that mix? "Oh, you may be a 201 IQ person, but RNG is RNG you may fail on your mission you planned over a year cause of RNG".

See what I mean?

Nothing to add on all that stuufd :)

See what I mean?

I do now. I don't know what came over me, I usually hate RNG due to the amount of times I have had to farm something on Warframe. And shooting on XCOM.

Interesting idea, it could also have a counterpart involved in deep counter intel that can identify the frauds depending on the level of the spy and counter intel player.

Still can't wait for alpha, gets more and more exciting every day.

Also, why are we drunk? Do drunk people come up with better ideas?   :P

Interesting idea, it could also have a counterpart involved in deep counter intel that can identify the frauds depending on the level of the spy and counter intel player.

Still can't wait for alpha, gets more and more exciting every day.

Also, why are we drunk? Do drunk people come up with better ideas?   :P

Technically speaking, irish coffee is still coffee. I am caffainated, not drunk.

Technically speaking, irish coffee is still coffee. I am caffainated, not drunk.

Lol, not you, that bit was actually a response to posts 2 - 4, apologies for the vagueness.

Although, seriously two other game forums I came across people stating that they were posting drunk today, which, doesn't usually happen. People must be getting pranked pretty good today.

Sounds like a really cool idea, and would be especially useful after the game has developed over a matter of time. Being able to temporarily break into a secure location using someones DNA coding or something would be very cool.
However as much as I hate to debunk this idea, I believe it is flawed in a way as to how the resurrection nodes work.
When someone dies, their consciousness is basically transferred to another parallel universe where they never died. Therefore how would someone be able to steal an implant from a dead body if technically the universe in which they died in, is no longer the 'primary universe'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I truly like this idea, and love the level of immersion it could offer. :)

Sounds like a really cool idea, and would be especially useful after the game has developed over a matter of time. Being able to temporarily break into a secure location using someones DNA coding or something would be very cool.

However as much as I hate to debunk this idea, I believe it is flawed in a way as to how the resurrection nodes work.

When someone dies, their consciousness is basically transferred to another parallel universe where they never died. Therefore how would someone be able to steal an implant from a dead body if technically the universe in which they died in, is no longer the 'primary universe'.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I truly like this idea, and love the level of immersion it could offer. :)

The body still contains the implants that were coded for that specific person, and since the body persists, the implants can be stolen. The consciousness doesn't go to a parallel universe and stay there, otherwise all the players would be playing on different instances  :P  The consciousness returns to the original universe.

No. You are technically never dying. And it's a camouflage system, not a full identiy immersion. And the implant is the one thing you use, not the DNA. DNA can be easily tricked for biometric scan purposes. A hard-coded, one-of-a-kind Quantum entanglement implant is far more difficult to trick - or maintain the false identity up per probeing, AKA, interacting with the RDMS system directly via interfacing with devices tied to it.

Also, you don't impersonate any consciousness, you don't steal their "spirit" so to speak. Just the IFF. You look and read in Identify Friend or Foe systems as them, but you are only wearing a very clever camouflage. And since the RNs just bring out a copy of you when they read you died, you are technically still alive.

Shouldn't they be told this by the victim or whoever was with them? Having it automated would not be good for complex/long term espionage.

I meant only being notified of the implant is actually being hacked; if a player dies, they won't know whether or not the person that kills them has the ability or desire to steal their RDMS tags. If you're on a spaceship which blows up and a day later some looter goes into the wreckage and hacks your tags, YOU certainly couldn't warn anyone of that, but if there is some form of automatic warning then at least the tag owners have a chance to react.

I meant only being notified of the implant is actually being hacked; if a player dies, they won't know whether or not the person that kills them has the ability or desire to steal their RDMS tags. If you're on a spaceship which blows up and a day later some looter goes into the wreckage and hacks your tags, YOU certainly couldn't warn anyone of that, but if there is some form of automatic warning then at least the tag owners have a chance to react.

Maybe this could happen if the implant is upgraded with advanced security, or that you are only warned if the hacker does poorly but still succeeds (where a higher security level makes it harder to do it undetected).

In EVE, if your ships wreck is blown up, nobody gets any loot. In retreat situations, people blow up wrecks to deny the enemy the loot. Same thing for DU can apply. IF a ship blows up, chances are the corpses turned to subatomic particles.

Good luck stealing those RDMS tags.

The idea for the identity impersonation through this mechanism, is to make "illegal" in-game items. And let's be honest, if you get a notification "someone hacked your implant"... so what? Do they know where you live in-game? Do they know where you hide your stash? What are YOU gonna do about it? Stay up 24/7 ? The guys may decide "we'll go steal fro him when he's asleep in his timezone" it's a single-shard game. 

There's a great disconnect between Abstract Paranoia "who may be an imposter? Let's outlaw Disguise devices and REtrofited Implants" and then there's " OH MA GAWD OH MA GAWD. I GOT A MESSAGE I GOT MY IMPLANTS HAXXED, OH MAH GAWD".

One of the two is a gameplay element to be vigilant, to congregate with people you trust, to build relationships in-game in order to make sure you won't be fooled by a person blending in the crowd. The other is just making the game terrible to play, cause it's anxiety full. 

"Ignorance is bliss". And plus, this "Abstract Paranoia" of not knowing if someone hacked your implant or not, is just gonna make banks actually be a good idea. They are the neutral party and can sport the security and means to protect from theft with as simple as "RDMS camouflage".