Will buildings have a decay time?

YouAgain

I'm not sure it this has been brought up but i would line to know if buildings have decay timers on them. This would be a way of clearing up the clutter from players who try the game out, make a starting house then decide that they don't like the game and never return.

So i'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a decay timer for example of 1 month that resets every time a that player logs into the game. 

• 1 month later...

So i'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a decay timer for example of 1 month that resets every time a that player logs into the game. 

Well you'd also have to figure on how that would affect the market and such - they'd have to take things into consideration like;

1) does the build belong to a player or a 'group/corp/guild/alliance'

2) How would that affect longer term players who 'have' developed something like a Blueprint for a really cool ship who leaves the game.... market orders, etc, etc... 

Asset control would have to be smart enough to take into account who owns it, who created it, (perhaps even who 'previously' owned an item, etc.)

hell no, try wurm online if you like that kind of thing :)

having decay and the need to repair your stuff every 5 min is not fun

Well, I think at least, tear should come after wear. Passively deteriorating buildings is as fun as a hunger mechanic - not one bit.

Like, if you build a not so heat-absorbing building in a heat heavy plaent. That would be a good reaso nfor the building to deterioritae. But building a tower or a base after a heat-absorbing material? IT will probably last forever.

Or even better, be the smarter man and build underground. :P

Yeah there def got to be a way for stuff to get removed from the world. Whether its some kind of maintenance that needs to be paid or shield bubble that's need to be reset, the world will quickly get cluttered  with empty structures everywhere.  

I think in areas where a Territory Control Unit can be placed, buildings should just stay where they are, and if you don't keep the TCU running other players should be able to clear it out.

Other areas (like the Arkship) I dunno.

Self-editing environment is a big question that is not answered yet.

I say environment because there is technically no big difference between a building and a landscape: both are shaped voxel.

I have some concerns about it, because crazy-like environments in Minecraft sound like a bad thing to me. It could be wasting the game artwork :/.

I want this to be handled by players. Just like in some minecraft servers where players make the rules and repair, dismantle or remove some work of some douchebag. Want clean cities? No broken/mined out spots? No abandoned constructs? Remove them. Fill it up. Repair it.

Yes, town planning is pretty important to make sophisticated cities...

But I like the idea of a dynamic biosphere, an environment that evolves and reacts is a fun perspective. As a biologist, I love It.

Sadly, this kind of dynamic model requires a massive calculation power :unsure: .

Yes, town planning is pretty important to make sophisticated cities...

But I like the idea of a dynamic biosphere, an environment that evolves and reacts is a fun perspective. As a biologist, I love It.

Sadly, this kind of dynamic model requires a massive calculation power :unsure: .

You could have a planet calculate its:

Total Mass

Player Made Mass

Player Emissions since last scan (using a refinery will add a little bit of 'Emission' everytime its used)

Current Temperature

Size/Diameter

You could make an a simple calculation with those to simulate the following:

Current Plantlife

Emissions Removed (Certain plants will remove a little bit of 'Emission' every so often)

Extra Plantlife since Last Scan

Current Wildlife

Prey to Predator Ratio

Every 500 (varying on planet size) emissions (1 Emission would be a single small productive unit) would increase global temperature via 1 degree F, and would kill off / create wildlife magically.

Emissions could be easily thought of Greenhouse Gases.

The "Predator to Prey" ratio would automatically balance to simulate a normal foodchain. If the Natural Prey (not bred) is too high, predators will either increase or eat more and simply remove the excess prey.

Even a fairly simple model like that would require a lot of calculations to actually implement. I do think they idea of a dynamic biosphere would be a really interesting feature for them to work on in the future.

I want this to be handled by players. Just like in some minecraft servers where players make the rules and repair, dismantle or remove some work of some douchebag. Want clean cities? No broken/mined out spots? No abandoned constructs? Remove them. Fill it up. Repair it.

^ This....construct blocks have ownership tied to them. If a player builds a house outside the safe zone or TU area it can be destroyed or dismantled. Solve there. Inside a organizations TU? Remove that persons tags to own or build in the area, and it should be able to be removed. Inside the safe zone? That one will be tough around the Arkship. Cuz if NQ doesn't allow tearing down of old buildings, then people will have to build there houses literally around the old houses. Like build them with stilts to go over and around an abandoned house.

Every 500 (varying on planet size) emissions (1 Emission would be a single small productive unit) would increase global temperature via 1 degree F, and would kill off / create wildlife magically.

Emissions could be easily thought of Greenhouse Gases.

The "Predator to Prey" ratio would automatically balance to simulate a normal foodchain. If the Natural Prey (not bred) is too high, predators will either increase or eat more and simply remove the excess prey.

You are right saying the calculation is depending on the model precision. I'm still thinking it would require too much power to make it interesting.

Plus, I was more thinking about dynamic biomes, rather than a global climate model. I mean, people use to see the biosphere like plants put on the rock, but a lot of rocks and soil conditions are created by the biological activity (limestone, oil, soil cohesion...). Basically, flora is a kind of PNJ  mining, processing, editing the landscape and can, as you spoke about, even terraforming an entire planet.

I'm also saying this because I realized that the natural biomes and flora on Alioth (as well as in many other games) does not seem really natural to me... I guess it's the procedural generation result: landscapes are built based on randomized units as trees, flowers...giving a "wallpaper" pattern feeling. On the other hand, IRL, flora is colonizing, spreading, actively communicating, melting, transforming and creating a living tight network.

So, it appears these virtual landscaps are not created from a biological and chemical point of view, but from a statistical point of view, which is only an abstraction.

• 1 year later...

I've been trying to answer this, and the further i replied the further it became obvious to me that it's a tricky part because you need to make sense out of every mechanic without them getting actually boring.
Most holisitic solution i came upon was this:

Maintenance variables on a core should be payed with minimalistic fraction of (elements (those of the core i.e.) + honeycomb material used), add to that a fraction of what's needed for the other elements one adds to it of course.
Ownership variables should be payed with Quantas, same as the fee in the market.

Amongst the variables that scales the cost, we should find at least:
- Size of the Core

- Fullfilling of the core (Nb of elements in it, Tier of elements, Nb of Voxels, Nature of Voxels)

- Is the core sitting on a bigger core, if so who's core is it
- Is the core sitting on a claimed tile, if so who's tile is it
Calculations of the relations between the two previous situations and RDMS system brings the ownership fee. 
Unclaimed territory still requires maintenance items, no fees.
Normally it should be at the discretion of the Tile Owner, which in turns with the income generated into either personnal/company profit (mining tiles i.e. ), or spend it to increase his tile infrastructures and networks, or buying guns or turrets whatever really… or just make a safe haven with about no "taxes" and just hopes everyone here is going to be ok with that.

If one knows what he's doing regarding materials it's no problem to maintain a big core, if not one shouldn't be able to, (hereby probably pushing the market as people will want to buy stuff to store upkeep stack, hence the interest of grouping making it easier to maintain larger buildings/cities with more population)
Then again if you want to leave somewhere that in itself brings more opportunities, the Quanta Fee should be a bit higher as to discourage wanderers from sticking by without helping improving the place (at least participating in it)

Now these are just thoughts, it's not necessarily the best implementation ever, we just need Something that makes sense, if anybody can fulfill/shift that system so it fits better, go on bois, let's DU this!!!

Edit: So when the upkeep with materials end, the elements should start to take damages , as should the voxels but this is another story for we can repair elements with scraps, but the voxels are not already implemented as to be destructible.
When the Quanta upkeep ends, what's happening? That i Don't know yet, to be continued….

Edited by Venstix
Forgot to mention what happens then

Don't you think other players will just come along and salvage your construct while you're offline? Is there something to stop people from doing that? If your building is unlikely to survive till you log in again, there wouldn't be any need for decay.

Having building decay would defeat the purpose of building cities and anything of significance in space. Also this would ruin the exploration aspect of the game because there would be no secret locations to find or derelict ships left from a long ago battle. This game is not rust where the play space is limited where building decay has warrant.

Perhaps; If a player leaves the game, maybe after significant time,  constructs built by the player could be accessible to be used by whom ever discovers the abandoned construct first. 

FYI post in this section are not NDA be careful what you say :)

17 hours ago, TheHardmanGAMING said:

You could just make it something like a 30 day timer since last used by owner or player with perms. After no use for 30 days the construct can be dismantled by others for parts

Why not, 
If the said construction is the platform for a group of building, do all subcores lose their build lock too?

Also, according  to what the "destroy element" does to a construct actually, should the destruction of the core of the construct also destroys all the buildings there, or do they just "unlink & float"?

9 hours ago, MaltoSigma said:

Maybe TUs in safe zones should disappear after a certain amount of time without account payment.

Somehow would made sense, as stated on the storepage "Freedom is not Free", so either you get used to paying for the sake of being protected, either you put your own in the nature, and bear with risks and all...

8 hours ago, geronimo553 said:

Having building decay would defeat the purpose of building cities and anything of significance in space. Also this would ruin the exploration aspect of the game because there would be no secret locations to find or derelict ships left from a long ago battle. This game is not rust where the play space is limited where building decay has warrant.

How could it defeat the purpose of building cities? as long as each player there contributes to the places he lives in, it's not a problem to sustain, it's even easier considered the less placed required for shared facilities, i mean can you imagine how crazy it'd be if you could Simply place layers and layers of voxels just to make sure no one breaks in, and get away with it for free? Btw, as stated by MaltoSigma it somehow frees the space around the Arkship from oneshot useless  things...
Now regarding exploration / ships / lost places, we didn't even talked decay rate yet to begin with, plus we didn't even stated on how the salvaging of decaying buildings could work…

Should we able do salvage a non decaying building? 
Should we be able to break and get ressources back from a decaying building voxels + elements? Should we be able to pick voxels + elements like they were free of building lock?

@Moderator : Not sure about what's authorized to say or not regarding NDA as this is cross-topics, notice me or rectify if Something's not ok here plz thanks.

• 1 month later...