Looks great, thanks for the information. I've been eagerly waiting for more information on how orgs will function.

Question though. Will you have the same tags set when you log in that you had when you logged off or will it always default to your basic single user tag?

I would imagine all tags that are permanent will persist. So if you log out with a certain number of tags those same tags will be there when you log back in.

Otherwise the micro management would become very tedious. And if I understood it correctly you can only assign tags to another person or yourself if you have permission to do so.

//

Very cool update, I have the impression this tag system is a very flexible and customisable system. Combined with the tree structure of the tags its perhaps the most impressive social/guild/org management system I've seen to date.

Good stuff NQ! :D

Always good to see more information! I had actually been wondering a lot specifically about this system. 

This system seems like it will work very well for most organizations, although I still wonder how it would work exactly in regards to investing in a company. For instance, could Legate votes be turned into a large number of share and sold so that investors would have a voting power proportional to the size of their investment? And what protections are their for investors? Would there be a way to force the corporation to pay dividends? If the company goes into insolvency, will shareholders be entitled to a share of the remaining assets?

I would imagine all tags that are permanent will persist. So if you log out with a certain number of tags those same tags will be there when you log back in.

Otherwise the micro management would become very tedious. And if I understood it correctly you can only assign tags to another person or yourself if you have permission to do so.

I was actually referring to tag selection. In the OP they give the example of Warren belonging to two different organizations and how he can choose to act in the name of either organization or for himself by choosing which role he is in and what tags are active. So if Warren developed a design for a new ore hauler and he had the tag for Corpo 1 selected, then that organization would own the rights to his design. Vice versa, if he had his own individual tag as the only one that was active, then he would retain sole ownership of his design/blue print. This would also apply to any actions that Warren takes while his tag for Corpo 1 is active. Any Quanta that he gets would go to the bank account of Corpo 1 and any actions he takes would reflect on the reputation of Corpo 1. 

This isn't a big deal for anyone who plans on playing solo, or for those who plan on belonging to a single organization and aren't worried about keeping anything themselves, but for everyone else this could potentially be a very big part of their daily life. In a perfect world, if you accidentally gave the rights to your design or your profits from a deal to an organization you belong to, they would laugh and then give your rights/Quanta back to you. That said, we know this isn't always going to be true, so players will need to be aware of which roles/tags they have active.

What I was wondering is if, when you log out and log back in, your active and inactive tags will remain the same or will you always log in with your personal tag as the only active one?

You certainly don't want all your members to be legates....

Actually, that is exactly what I want.  A legate is person who can vote, so that is just another way of saying in a democracy, all members are voters.  Of course, in a large organization, having everyone vote on each decision would tend to be impractical, which is why they can delegate their votes.  That makes the democracy a republic, but the members would still be legates.

...What I was wondering is if, when you log out and log back in, your active and inactive tags will remain the same or will you always log in with your personal tag as the only active one?

I think the best way of handling this would be to make it an option so each player can choose what happens when they log in.  They could  pick either themselves, one specific organization or the same organization as when they logged out.  That would be determine who they represented each time they logged in, until they changed the option.

Actually, that is exactly what I want. A legate is person who can vote, so that is just another way of saying in a democracy, all members are voters. Of course, in a large organization, having everyone vote on each decision would tend to be impractical, which is why they can delegate their votes. That makes the democracy a republic, but the members would still be legates.

Gl then with that org when every member has the right to mess with the community page. In-game it would be manageable with rdms, depending what other stuff legates can do. Outside of the game (forum, community page) they can edit and delete everything

Gl then with that org when every member has the right to mess with the community page. In-game it would be manageable with rdms, depending what other stuff legates can do. Outside of the game (forum, community page) they can edit and delete everything

That is true.  I was only thinking about organizations in-game.

When the game launches, the consequences for the forum and community page should not limit the structure of organizations in-game.  Either the rdms should also include the rights for those things outside the game or it should be possible to designate legates/members differently inside the game than outside of it.

I think the best way of handling this would be to make it an option so each player can choose what happens when they log in.  They could  pick either themselves, one specific organization or the same organization as when they logged out.  That would be determine who they represented each time they logged in, until they changed the option.

This is what I'm hoping the answer will be. Simplifies everything and makes players aware of their tags when they log in 

Cool!

Can a LUA script create and assign a tag to a player?

I hope so, the same way I hope LUA scripts are able to recognize and act according to the tags. For example an outsider come to your base and a scripts tag him as a visitant but if the outsider have a tag from an enemy ORG it tags him as invasor and activate alarms and defense systems.

Hi everyone, 

Here are some answers to your questions!

@Kurock:
  • "Will the actions taken by a Player Character (assuming he interacts with something related to the Organization) be added to an Audit Log (so we can know who has done what recently)?"
Yes, this is a feature planned right from the beginning. It wouldn't make sense if players couldn't trace a minimum what has been done (especially in the case of infiltration/sabotage). We have to see however how fine grained this tracking can go, for obvious performance issues.

@Sunrider44:
  • "Will the role tag system work with an item ownership tag system?"
Not sure what was exactly the question here. Role & Tags are two different things.
If the question was: “Will there be Tags attached to any item power, and/or resource power in-game?” 
Then the answer is yes.

• "Will it be possible to carry items or resources that your Player Character doesn't own and can't use?"
It’s possible to carry assets that you don’t own. Whether you can use it will totally depend on how the RDMS in the Organization will be configured. In the case where the RDMS is configured in a way where resources harvested by the Player Character for the Organization can't be used, then you won't have the right to use it, but you can try to bypass this interdiction.
Depending on which type of asset is forbidden to use, there might be two cases:
1) The involved asset is a Resource. If the Player Character isn't allowed to use it, it can override the interdiction if he wants to, by stealing it. If he does that, then it might affect his reputation (the reputation system is meant to balance abuses).
2) The involved asset is an Item or an Element. If the Player Character isn't allowed to use it, it can't use it and can't override the interdiction, as some electronic security (let's say fingerprint or retina check lore-wise?) won't let it me to do so. Later, (after the official release) this might be affected by hacking game mechanics, but only if this doesn't unbalance the game. We will discuss later such topic.

@Pang_Dread:

Regarding the worries being too complicate because of the micro-management, as said in the DevBlog, there will be generic templates for Functions and Tags. Besides, tags will be organized into automatic hierarchies that will allow you to immediately designate a set of powers or a set of people with one single tag, considerably reducing the micro management. For those who don't want to do micro-management, using this default configuration will be hopefully enough, as we don't want to force anyone to micro manage their organization if they don't want to.

@Kurock:
  • "If an item is tagged as belonging to a specific org, let's use a hunk of ore as an example, will it be possible for someone outside the org, be able to smelt that ore?"
Again, it depends how the RDMS of the Organization is configured. If it's forbidden by the organization, then it won’t be allowed by default, but it will be possible to override the interdiction. However, by doing so, it might generate diplomatic and reputation issues ;)

• "Can a hand-held weapon that belongs to an org be used by someone outside the org without any of that orgs rights?"
Here we are in the second case mentioned above. Until the Hacking game mechanics implementation (and depending how we will implement it), there will be no way to use an item or element that the Player Character isn't allowed to. 

@Lethys:
  • "what happens when players die? Does the tags from those items get deleted?"
Nope, the tags can only be removed upon decision of the Player Character(s) who have the right to decide such thing.

• "Can players (not legates) delegate their rights?"
Which rights are we talking about here? If you mean the right to vote, only Legates have the right to vote. If you were talking about the rights they have on some assets, we have in mind a mechanism that will allow a right to transfer a tag to certain people, depending on what tag those people have. Think about delegating the “tag distribution job” to some manager, who has the right to distribute certain tags but only to certain members of the organization.

• "Can a true democracy exist when only legates can vote?"
Yes, but for that you need to have all your members considered as Legates. It will be on option for some of the template organizations.

• "Will tags be deleted when a player leaves the org? Or can they be set to inactive by a delegate?"
By default, yes, this will be the simplest solution: it will prevent abuse such as leaving an Organization, then joining an hostile Organization to the previous one.

• "Is there a limit to tags?"
At the moment, no limit has been defined yet, but we might define one in the future.

• "Can we set tags for a limited time? (Passage through your territory)"
We have such a mechanism in mind, as well as conditioning the use of a tag to the payment of some fee (per usage or per month). We can’t say when this will be implemented however, it’s still in discussion.

@Kummobob:
  • "Will you have the same tags set when you log in that you had when you logged off or will it always default to your basic single user tag?"
Yes. Tags won't be removed on Player Character by logging off or by dying. However they will be removed on decision by Organization administrators having the hand on the Right and Duties Management System and the fact of leaving an Organization.

@Ripper:
  • "Can a LUA script create and assign a tag to a player?"
This is not planned for the moment..

@Mmtheboss:
  • "Is this system going to be implemented on the Website Organizations and In-game ones or both or neither?"
This is in-game mechanics we are describing here. For many reasons, we don't want to make them available outside the game. Some of the effects (such as Status in the Organization) might be displayed on the Community Portal in the long run, but this will be limited to display information, not to manage the Organization through the Community Portal.

@BenFargo:
  • "Can an organization prohibit legates from delegating their votes?  Can it force everyone to vote for themselves?"
At the moment we haven't thought to such context, but the ideas are interesting. We will come back on this topic later.

• "Can an organization set the number or percentage of votes needed to approve a decision?  Can it say some decisions require a unanimous vote while others just need a simple majority?"
Yes, all the voting threshold, quorum, etc will be fully customizable… via a vote!

• "Can an organization assign a tag to a power and then not assign the tag to anyone?"
Yes, it will be possible.

• "Since organizations can be members of other organizations, can an organization assign tags to them like it can to player members?  Would that mean anyone representing the tagged organization would in effect have that tag?" 
So far, yes, this will be possible to add Tags to an Organization. We are still working on the precise meaning of this assignment of tag. One direction we are exploring is the possibility to designate a representative in an org that would effectively inherit from the org tags.

Best Regards,
Nyzaltar.

Thank you Nyzaltar for your time and answering so many questions

2) The involved asset is an Item or an Element. If the Player Character isn't allowed to use it, it can't use it and can't override the interdiction, as some electronic security (let's say fingerprint or retina check lore-wise?) won't let it me to do so. Later, (after the official release) this might be affected by hacking game mechanics, but only if this doesn't unbalance the game. We will discuss later such topic.

So every element like guns, armor, turrets, ... can't be stolen at all in the beginning - up until you add some hacking mechanic?

So you can't steal a construct either in the beginning unless you destroy the core and replace it with your own?

EDIT:

If he does that, then it might affect his reputation (the reputation system is meant to balance abuses).

Does this mean there is an automatic system? Or is it player controlled? How would an automatic system work?

@Lethys:

• "what happens when players die? Does the tags from those items get deleted?"
Nope, the tags can only be removed upon decision of the Player Character(s) who have the right to decide such thing.

So piracy is impossible? How can pirates sell loot that nobody can use?

Agreeing with twerk here. Wouldn't it make more sense to have item tags break when its dropped from a dead player? Otherwise there's almost no risk in venturing outside the safe-zone until hacking is implemented.

@Lethys & CaptainTwerkMotor:

Guys, keep in mind this is "work in progress".

First, there is a need to prevent anyone to take anything they want on a whim (or else it would turn into nothing else than chaos)

Once these basic mechanics will be implemented, attention will be given to Piracy gameplay and related game mechanics (which might end with a basic version of hacking implemented, or something else. Too soon to tell at the moment, but we are working on that). Keep also in mind that we will take into account player feedback in the game design.

Please, be a bit patient on this. We want to discuss with you about all the game mechanics, but we can't present you the whole scope at once, especially this early in the development.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

First, there is a need to prevent anyone to take anything they want on a whim (or else it would turn into nothing else than chaos)

Once these basic mechanics will be implemented, attention will be given to Piracy gameplay and related game mechanics (which might end with a basic version of hacking implemented, or something else. Too soon to tell at the moment, but we are working on that). Keep also in mind that we will take into account player feedback in the game design.

Please, be a bit patient on this. We want to discuss with you about all the game mechanics, but we can't present you the whole scope at once, especially this early in the development.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

I believe anyone can work with that until further information is provided.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.

Yeah, we know that - it's just that such answers throw up new questions - and we ask them :) I just wanted to ask those before anyone in here jumps to (perhaps false) conclusions.

You (and NQ) have proven many times that you'll listen to players so I'm pretty sure you'll get your feedback