Qauntum Ressurection, don't think I could handle it.

Hotwingz

Hello everyone (colonists/arkers)

So I was thinking about the ressurection nodes and how it works. Somehow these things save our qauntum fingerprint and in the event of (unnatural) death it transports your fingerprint into a reality that closest matches your own.

Now purely from the standpoint of my character, it makes me very uncomfortable.

I mean, how would you deal with that knowledge? Everything looks the same but it isnt. To make it worse, your psyche got planted in a many worlds copy/version of yourself.

Psychologically thats enough to drive a sane person insane.

How would our characters cope with it?

Lots of diversion? A sense of nihilism?

Or would we have been chosen to deal with such an unusual way of life? How about natural death?

If reality is infinite so are the possibilities. Does that imply that somewhere natural death is eliminated. Or what about that reality where earth wasnt destroyed?

Feel free to share your thoughts. :)

My character was insane before, so he doesn't mind really :D

There are even those two theories in RL:

- infinite universe (one universe - infinitely large)

- multiverse (infinite amount of different universes)

In both theories, you have infinite amount of spacetime so basically in both theories, everything that could have happend has happend already. And everything that might happen, will happen. So, if one of those theories is true, there is a second earth somewhere with only dinosaurs. And another one where everything is the same. Except that on thursdays every atomic particle changes it's spin.

In terms of DU this means the following:

Every time you die and the RN gets your fingerprint as you call it, everything stays the same, except you're not dead. So this means earth was ALWAYS (IN EVERY of those realities) destroyed because there are infinite amounts of those.

Ofc there are also infinite amounts of realities where the RN saves you and earth is still there. But that's not the realities the RN will bring you to.

Well, technically, you don't get "resurrected". Your inert body, also known as a corpse, is still in the universe. However, the RN, detects your implants going blank in your head ( the same implant to upload skills to ) and then fires up its probability matrix to snatch a copy of you fro the next universe nearby, just before the moment of death. Mind you, operative word is "probability". This is a probabilistic model. It's as much resurrection, as much as chinese fortune cookies are chinese.

From the perspective of the individual you'll be 10 years after the game's launch, you just had CLOSE calls with death, but the RN was always there to save you at the very last moment. All those corpses of you out in space? Tough luck. And technically, the probabilistic model dictates those that, those corpses? They are but an illusion, those guys and gals survided through a Resurrection Node in another universe and all you see is the probabilistic fulcrum on your end just perpetually maintaining equilibrium on conservation of mass & energy.. See? It works both ways.

Cheers.

But that's not the realities the RN will bring you to.

Ah yes good point.

Infinite realities and all that jazz.

It really boggles the mind right.

Still I find it creepy to think about.

Its like episode of R&M, I dont think I would deal with it in a healthy way.

It works both ways.

Cheers.

Hey thats a very cool way to look at it.

You basicly adjusted the perspective of the observer. Though I didnt know the RN was able to transport entire bodies.

But however you look at it, it remains a very odd situation. Perhaps on Alioth people do what we always do. Shrug our shoulders and just continue with live.

If reality is infinite so are the possibilities. Does that imply that somewhere natural death is eliminated. Or what about that reality where earth wasnt destroyed?

What about the reality where Hitler cured cancer? The answer is: don't think about it.

Other than that, it also means that every fictional universe/multiverse also exists, because parallel universes can have different laws of physics (see vacuum decay and its ability to change the laws of physics), which includes every super hero universe, every story and that one dream you had where you were a katana wielding sci-fi hacker.

From the perspective of the individual you'll be 10 years after the game's launch, you just had CLOSE calls with death, but the RN was always there to save you at the very last moment. All those corpses of you out in space? Tough luck. And technically, the probabilistic model dictates those that, those corpses? They are but an illusion, those guys and gals survided through a Resurrection Node in another universe and all you see is the probabilistic fulcrum on your end just perpetually maintaining equilibrium on conservation of mass & energy.. See? It works both ways.

By that train of thought, it almost sounds like the bodies of those that died won't be removed from the game...

Hey, who wants a job removing bodies from outer space!? Need someone to keep space looking nice and pristine.   <_<

I try not to get caught up in the sciencey wiencey stuff too much. Try being the operative word. Theres already enough nightmare fuel out there. As long as it works and it brings me back I'm fine being blissfully un-aware of the finer details of the process. Though I also see the flaw in this thinking as not knowing is likely worse, hence adding more nightmare fuel. Like seriously what if this copy or whatever it is has three arms, or two heads or.... other different things in important places.... shudders. :o

So yeah, just going to be happy it works, and carry on. B)

By that train of thought, it almost sounds like the bodies of those that died won't be removed from the game...

Hey, who wants a job removing bodies from outer space!? Need someone to keep space looking nice and pristine.   <_<

Don't forget, JC Baillie played EVE Online. Corpsicle collecting is EVE's national passtime.

Plus, trophies are trophies. In EVE a lot of people auction famous players' corpses on the market.

Don't forget, JC Baillie played EVE Online. Corpsicle collecting is EVE's national passtime.

Plus, trophies are trophies. In EVE a lot of people auction famous players' corpses on the market.

"Next up on Youtube: Selling my body for necrophilia!"

Now if in DU we could extract skill points or experience from frozen bodies (say 1 days worth per corpse). That simple mechanic alone would likely change gameplay style significantly.

Now if in DU we could extract skill points or experience from frozen bodies (say 1 days worth per corpse). That simple mechanic alone would likely change gameplay style significantly.

Pay2win mechanic. Get a second acc, kill him every day. Very bad idea

Instead of skill boosts, maybe the ability to impersonate them (since you have their implant). RDMS would see you as what it sees the recently deceased.

The nearsightedness of this statement is why I won't even rage at it.

Instead of skill boosts, maybe the ability to impersonate them (since you have their implant). RDMS would see you as what it sees the recently deceased.

Now, that is interesting, like, "salvaging" a person's implant, to register an IFF inside a territroy claim. That would make Headhunters quite a literal thing. Killing an important person to steal their implant's IFF. And the IFF "disguise" itself, could work in a limited capacity, i.e. if someone sees me being in a place, but I do not show up on their friends list (if we are in-game friends that is) that would definitely ring an alarm.

But for blending in a crowd? Excelent tool.

The nearsightedness of this statement is why I won't even rage at it.

Now, that is interesting, like, "salvaging" a person's implant, to register an IFF inside a territroy claim. That would make Headhunters quite a literal thing. Killing an important person to steal their implant's IFF. And the IFF "disguise" itself, could work in a limited capacity, i.e. if someone sees me being in a place, but I do not show up on their friends list (if we are in-game friends that is) that would definitely ring an alarm.

But for blending in a crowd? Excelent tool.

Perhaps to help prevent total fucking annihilation of a corp, making only people not associated from the faction cannot impersonate them (to prevent people killing their leaders for loot.)?

Now THAT'S a nice idea. Maybe restrict it somehow (timer, easier to detect,...) But in general it's a very very good idea

Perhaps to help prevent total fucking annihilation of a corp, making only people not associated from the faction cannot impersonate them (to prevent people killing their leaders for loot.)?

The thing is, they would need to kill their leader without being associated with the act, otherwise they will be on the sharp end of a "throw them out the airlock" command.

Another limitation (read: feature) is that it would only work temporarily, or that the rights given to them won't update anymore.

That statement made zero sense, and I have adapted at reading space russians' broken english in EVE. So, what happened here.

But if you mean Awoxing, the Art of Fuckery that originates in EVE, that impersonation "camouflage" won't stop it. Some orgs in this very forum, will go down sinking HARD, camouflage or not.

The thing is, they would need to kill their leader without being associated with the act, otherwise they will be on the sharp end of a "throw them out the airlock" command.

Another limitation (read: feature) is that it would only work temporarily, or that the rights given to them won't update anymore.

Black Ops, this is what they are for.

And to expand on this feature suggestion, maybe even have Skill Training increase how many RDMS actions a Camouflaged person can take before their disguise drops.

If you played the Mass Effect games, the Salarians' Special Tasks Group (STG) got a cloak that literally transforms you into the person you impersonate. Same thing can go for this feature. IT would be no different than the Noggerfogger potion from WoW (insert Noggerholics Anonymous jokes).

Only you look and register visually as the target of impersonation.

Added limitation for lack of paranoia.

When an implant is looted, it has 1 hour expiration time after being ...erm... removed fro mthe cerebrum, in order to be "Salvaged" by a person with the skillset to do so. That way, even if someone dies, if the loot takes over an hour to be given to someone TRUSTWORTHY enough to not alert the previous owner of the impersonation attempt, then the process becomes hard enough to accomplish.

How about it being a consumable?

You activate it then you get x amount of time to do what ever you want in a "hostile" territory. When its done you get flagged as intruder as normal.