Periodic Table of the Elements

I was wondering about in game elements/materials/building blocks.  Would there be as many elements in DU as there are in real life?  Would some be rarer then others?  How many materials/elements are going to be included? Do the elements have the same properties that they do in real life? 

I'm assuming that there going to be at least a few raw elements such as iron, uranium, etc.

I'm just trying to get a scope on the amount of raw materials that will be available to us in-game.

This is not entirely known at this time. However, in a DevDiary video, a scan was shown that revealed the presence of several ores, all of which are common and very real elements. You can find the list at the bottom of this page (the source is listed, but the info is accurate).

In the realm of speculation, I have a strong feeling it will be a combination of mostly real and a few fake resources. That would be a logical and realistic approach, but of course, I'm just taking a weighted guess.

That is a very good question and the truth is we don't really know at this point. We do know that there will be at least some real elements like iron and such.

How many elements will there be? Another thing we don't know, but I would bet that there won't be the entire periodic table mainly because it would be difficult to come up with uses for all of them, but also because if they could come up with uses for all of them that would be too many things for people to try and manage.

I would bet there will be about 10 to 30 elements or resources. Of course, they have confirmed that there will be a lot of intermediary phases to production so even a small number of resources will result in a very complex supply chain and economy.

I think it would be pretty neat if they add an interactive table of elements into the game. Something in your HUD perhaps? You know, the kind that lists all the elements that exist, along with data (specific gravity, melting temperature, natural hardness, etc.) and production stats, (alloys, uses, wear resistance, etc.) and their data (as above.)

In the IGN GDC video you can see a few materials that are on the periodic table, like iron, gold, silicon, etc. But they also had others like ceramic, plastic, resin, the alloy duralumin. They mentioned there would also be some fictional materials like kyrium to explain "magic" sci-fi tech. I doubt they would try to make the properties of everything super realistic, but the whole system looks like it will be pretty complex.

I personally hope there are a lot of elements and metals, it would make the game more interesting and realistic. I also hope that we can create alloys or try to create harder metals for armour and building projects. 

I personally hope there are a lot of elements and metals, it would make the game more interesting and realistic. I also hope that we can create alloys or try to create harder metals for armour and building projects. 

They have said there will be a lot of intermediary steps in production, so even with a few elements there are a lot of possibilities. 

It will probably expand as the game progresses. After release they have talked about these free "expansions" which will be the updates they release, and they said some may be mineral expansions so we will see full updates that come will loads of materials, minerals, and resources added to the game.

i dont see of the game having as many elements as irl elements tbh (though maybe same number of elements buty different elements mayyybe? for example why would we need synthetic elements in this game such as 

Einsteinium?

i dont see of the game having as many elements as irl elements tbh (though maybe same number of elements buty different elements mayyybe? for example why would we need synthetic elements in this game such as 

Einsteinium?

Well, I suppose you could make the case that since we are in a completely different universe than Earth was, some materials that did not exist in our system are present in the new one. Also, certain elements from our universe would not exist. Some would have no real function in a game like DU, arsenic for example. They could either create a smaller periodic table by simply eliminating unneeded elements, or they could replace them with something useful.

I personally would like to see a full periodic table, with the majority of elements having a function in the game. Some might be passive, such as oxygen, while others are used actively by the players to produce various items or materials.