What will happen to the forums?

DarkHorizon

Once alpha starts and ends, then beta, then eventually the final release... I'm just curious what NQ plans to do with the forums during those times. This is the first time I've been a part of any pre-alpha community and I really want to know.

Ever since I started taking part in alphas and betas, I always figured that the forums would be archived in separate pre-alpha, alpha, and beta folders, but strangely I've never seen this in any other game I've played. Sure the game has moved into a new state, the old stuff is no longer relevant, why delete it though? Maybe I'm just appealing to my inner historian, but some of the stuff we discuss here on the forums impacts where the game goes in the future. Wouldn't it be awesome to just dig around in some of those pre-release threads and laugh at some of the ridiculous (and sobering) discussions and ideas that we've had and be able to compare it to the current game?

It might be inevitable that what is discussed here would be deleted at some point in development or lost in some unorganized jumble post-release, but I'd really love to see some organization and sorting away done with these pre-release threads when the time comes later next year. Hell, I got 6TB of drive space, I could archive some parts of this on my own if it comes to that.

Thoughts?  :huh:

I don't think there will be any deletion of threads, as there aren't any NDAs as far as I know.  Pretty sure NQ said we'd be able to create videos and whatnot during the alpha.  At least, I doubt there will be deletions in the general discussion areas and whatnot.

They may end up creating an alpha subforum in which alpha members have access to, in order to submit bug reports... gameplay balancing and whatnot.  For a more concise area for that kind of stuff.  I imagine this stuff would be deleted as they move into beta, and then again into release.  Or else they could probably be archived, but if it's a relevant topic it's best to create a new topic after release with all of the relevant issues and stuff.

I'm sure the forums will still be around. I get the impression that Alpha won't be under an NDA, as it kind of seems pointless in this day and age, not to mention that they want to get the word out about the game to show people they were telling the truth about what their tech can do.

Now, whether or not people will heavily use the forums into the future as the game releases, remains to be seen. 

I'd wager that the forums will still be heavily used, though. Even if it's a small percentage of players (because the forums are small even now despite how many people have pledged to the game), as the player population grows a "small percentage" could still be hundreds or thousands of people using the forums into the future. 

Now, whether or not people will heavily use the forums into the future as the game releases, remains to be seen.

From my experience, I havent seen a MMO forum from a MMO with a healthy population Not being used.

You cant ignore the influence of Reddit but it isnt/wasnt the death of dedicated fora either. As some predicted back then.

As long as NQ remains active in its communication I dont see this place going silent. Sure its quiet right now but that will change when there is a game to play and fight over.

If NQ decides to add a subforum for ingame org...politics (read drama) you can bet that place will be busy.

I've seen forums be archived before. At release all alpha discussions will be outdated so i believe that we might see all topics archived but still here. Meaning that all threads and posts prior to beta/launch will be stored inside this forum behind a click or two more so the live version of the game can have all the clean forum space to avoid confusion for newcomers.

I can not imagine why they would delete there forums.

They might edit it a bit to work with the game actually being out. (Not really sure how though)

Other then that it should stay about the same.

I don't think they will ever delete the forums, so long as the game is live. What might happen is wide scale thread locking in order to avoid massive thread necromancy once more people start flooding the community com e release or even beta.