Hello all DU Community Members!

So I have been reading and watching lots of things, trying to make sure I am up to date before I ask any questions, and I have come to a point where I realize that I can't quite find a respective answer or possible solution to a problem which I see to be quite a big one...

The Problem.. I hope..
So as far as I know, when abroad a vessel / moving voxel construct, you are completely fine when online, you can edit the ship, do whatever you want, and you can just travel along whilst your vessel goes from Point A ------> Point B.
That is all very awesome and quite clearly something that would be needed in the game for an immersive experience.

However from what I have read, if you were to Log Off from the DU service, if your vessel was still moving, your body will have saved its location where it was when you logged off, and upon re-logging in at a later date (for example say 1 day) you will find that your vessel has moved on for 1 Days worth of travel time (provided it had the energy and it encountered no problems etc.) and your body has logged in where it was 1 Day ago.

This for me is a problem, and also the fact, that in my mind at least, a truly immersive experience would allow you to log off, let your ship keep drifting / moving onward, and then come back and perhaps you have reached your destination.

Clarification

So, to clarify my point in simpler terms..
- Is it true that logging off saves your location in the universe as a X,Y,Z Coordinate as opposed to saving it on board your voxel construct? (from what I can tell from videos and wiki pages, as well as what makes sense in my own mind)
- Or does it work some other way?

If I am indeed correct in my presumption, might I ask if there is any known way, or if there will be anyway of logging off on board a moving construct, and upon re-logging you find you are still on your construct?

Possible Solution
My suggestion to this problem would be something as simple as making it possible to log off inside of the control unit element (In my opinion this ones seems a little wrong), or something like a Stasis/Cryo Pod Element.
Upon entering the Stasis Pod, you are making your player coordinates dynamic, instead of static, and thus when re-logging into the game, you awake still as a dynamic set of coordinate mappings, and you would have to leave the stasis pod to return to being static (normal playing mode again).

Scenario
The Stasis Pod idea imo, opens up a new world of game play too!

Imagine being able to hunt down a ship trying to make a flee from a system, the player is offline, in his/her stasis pod, and has no idea they are about to have their vessel attacked.

The enemy ship could blast a hole in the ship, match its speed and attempt to board it.

They find the accused system fleeing victim in their stasis pod. Instead of killing them in their sleep, you detach the stasis pod from their ship and move it on board your own ship, taking them back to some galactic authority so that they may face whatever charges they deserve when they log back in.
Of course that is a scenario that I'm not too sure how it will entirely play out, but it seems cool.

Why I Want It

So I see space travel as a serious endeavor to take unto yourself. And whilst there will be massive corporations that will spend many days and weeks researching new tech, some people, maybe even myself, will consider the slower route. Say for example I wish to make a sub-light speed ship, slow, but capable of reaching a desirable solar system. However the catch is it will take me 2 real weeks to get to the closest system. So I build a ship, fill it with some supplies, basic living needs and off I go. I would come on to the server when I can, do some research on board my ship whilst traveling, but I would like to jump in my Stasis Pod when I log off so that I may keep going on my 2 week mission to find these new worlds. I would love that.

Conclusion

So in conclusion.. I hope I wasn't wrong about why I started this topic, otherwise I spent a bunch of time writing a pointless post :P

And I wasted your time.. so I am sorry about that..
Otherwise, thanks for reading and I would love to hear any thoughts and opinions!
Thanks!

- Sullos

I believe the logoff location will be inherited by the highest level of grid (read: attached to). If you logged off on a moving ship, your logoff location will be saved as an offset from your ship's position. I am sure of this, because they have shown that they aim to preserve a frame of reference.

So at present that would be: Player-made construct grids > Planet/Moon/Asteroid voxel grids > Global Universe position.

The real question is what happens to logoff locations when a grid is destroyed?

I suppose it is up to NQ whether they are killed or transferred to the lower level grid, i.e. everyone logs back on in the location their ship was destroyed.

Each moving construct is build around a dynamic core.

Each dynamic core has its own XYZ axis independant from the "plane/world".

When you log out inside a construct the game remembers your XYZ coords relative to the construct. In other words if you log out inside your engine room you will log back in inside your engine room. The movement of the construct has no baring on your position on the constructs XYZ axis tied to its dynamic core.

If your construct is destroyed and there is no solution for your last XYZ relative to the dynamic core logic dictates you are dead and need to respawn.

PS: Welcome :)

Edit: Just a thought but if these technical details were not resolved in the design document or in the prototype of the game software this game would be in a lot of trouble. Logging in and out is pretty high up in the problem/solution tree.

*snip*

Edit: Just a thought but if these technical details were not resolved in the design document or in the prototype of the game software this game would be in a lot of trouble. Logging in and out is pretty high up in the problem/solution tree.

If these technical details had been "resolved", as you say, then NovaQuark would have told us how logging off would work and there would be no room for discussion.  ;) I'm sure there are still some details they haven't worked out.

Anyway, welcome to the forums Sullos! Thanks for the great discussion post. First off, the idea of a stasis pod is a good one in my opinion. I am of the mind that players should still retain some physical presence upon logging off, in order that they may not use logging off to "hide". A stasis pod is certainly a great way to do that. However, I do not agree with your reason for wanting it... In my personal opinion it would be cheap to be able to log off and be transported around anywhere while you are offline.

With something like stasis pods, this would be unavoidable if someone else is flying the ship. However, flying solo, I think there should be something in place that prevents your ship from drifting too far without a pilot. I remember JC talking about this somewhere, where they didn't want players to log back into the game after a while and find that their ship has drifted a lightyear into interstellar space or something.

So I like the idea you are proposing, but I am friendlily (?) opposed to your reason for wanting it. Additionally, as Flastaf said, ships are made from dynamic core units. If you haven't already you can read about them here:

https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Core_Units

If these technical details had been "resolved", as you say, then NovaQuark would have told us how logging off would work and there would be no room for discussion. ;) I'm sure there are still some details they haven't worked out.

Ha, I guess I have to disagree with you on that one. :P

Logging in and out and the state of the client/character is pretty basic in my opinion. I'm not quite sure this is a detail that needs working out or has to be more complicated.

Constructs are persistent, characters are not.

It is 1 universe and that universe has consistent universal laws. As has been repeatedly stated there is no difference between a planet or a construct from a technical point of view. Then why would you introduce a cryopod for logging out on a dynamic construct and nothing for logging out in the world?

Introducing some mechanic where you need to log out in a pod all the time? Thats making things complicated with no added value, in my opinion.

Keeping your character persist in game after you log out creates far more problems than it solves. But I'm not the designer of this game.

I do like a good discussion.

Ha, I guess I have to disagree with you on that one. :P

Logging in and out and the state of the client/character is pretty basic in my opinion. I'm not quite sure this is a detail that needs working out or has to be more complicated.

Perhaps we are going back and forth about different points; I am referring more to the logistical aspect of logging off and I feel that you're referring to the more technical aspect of it, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Constructs are persistent, characters are not.

It is 1 universe and that universe has consistent universal laws. As has been repeatedly stated there is no difference between a planet or a construct from a technical point of view. Then why would you introduce a cryopod for logging out on a dynamic construct and nothing for logging out in the world?

Introducing some mechanic where you need to log out in a pod all the time? Thats making things complicated with no added value, in my opinion.

Keeping your character persist in game after you log out creates far more problems than it solves. But I'm not the designer of this game.

I do like a good discussion.

Seems we have very different viewpoints; you say it creates far more problems than it solves, but I heartily disagree. You could log out on your buddies ship, he sells it to some guy, you log back in a week later on the same ship under a new owner and hijack the ship to steal it back. What's to stop that? A new terminology would be created for people who hide on constructs by simply being logged out. Squatters, or something; they would be infamous in the game.

And you yourself just defined a dynamic constructs which, differs from a static construct. I am not suggesting that you wouldn't also need a stasis pod to log out on a static construct, like a planet. But if i were, I would argue that because a dynamic construct is moving, then you need a stasis pod to save your coordinates relative to the construct in which you are flying, because relative to the game world, the coordinate system, and you, are moving. And on a static construct, such as a building or a planet... Well it's not moving of course, so your coordinates are saved relative to that static body, which will never move and always have constant coordinates. However, I would say that you should also need a stasis pod to log out on a static construct.

I too enjoy a good discussion; nice to have a civilized conversation about opposite viewpoints, seems to be rare these days.

I agree that there are obviously things that need to be kinked out with the current system, the obvious one being pointed out by ATMLIVE.  I think a simple fix would be, if the ship is in a similar state to when you logged out (ie. it's in the same ownership, it isn't destroyed, no combat is occurring etc.) then you log back in on said ship, in the same location you logged out.  If these conditions are NOT met, then you would spawn wherever you would spawn upon death.  However, you would spawn without the penalties of death.

Why this needs to be a thing:

We can't have people logging out, only to log back in when a boarding party goes past their location... this is a common problem in many survival games, and had to be fixed in each and every one.

We can't have people logging back into someone else's ship, obviously.

I'm sure there are many more reasons, but I believe a conditional login would be the most beneficial and would not require stasis pods or any other such things.

Just to reiterate: JC has indicated that a ship will not move when no one is on board (and likely gain a protection bubble of some kind), so there will be no logging off and waiting a while to teleport across the galaxy. At least not solo.  But this is an MMO, so with multiple people flying in shifts will keep the ship moving along with its precious cargo of lifepods.

The only issue I have with logging off on the ship without using an element (like a cryopod) are stowaways with malicious intent.  I do think this would be interesting game play to allow for stowaways but not allowing cheesing of the log off mechanics. Perhaps logging off/reappearing on a ship could be tied to the RDMS of that ship.  This would allow for stowaways (as long as they stay logged in) but it would not be practical for very long journeys.

While stasis-pods are more immersive, a system still necessarily must exist without them because the internet is not 100% reliable all of the time. Disconnects happen.  Being lost in space without a ship due to a disconnect is a great way to lose players. Using RDMS may be a way to ensure that it is not abused. 

Perhaps we are going back and forth about different points; I am referring more to the logistical aspect of logging off and I feel that you're referring to the more technical aspect of it, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Seems we have very different viewpoints; you say it creates far more problems than it solves, but I heartily disagree.

I too enjoy a good discussion; nice to have a civilized conversation about opposite viewpoints, seems to be rare these days.

Aah yes indeed ATMLVE we were referring to different things. I was indeed thinking about the technical aspects of it. My apologies for the confusion.

You raise some very good counterpoints to what I was thinking. Particularly about the friend hiding on a sold construct. That is indeed a scenario that will require some thinking without a pod mechanic of some kind. And it is absolutely correct to make a difference between static and dynamic constructs.

But lets for the sake of argument assume we log out in pods. Let me ask a few questions to illustrate why I feel it creates more problems than it solves.

-You are in the middle of nowhere, do you need a pod at all times to log out?

-Your pod is discovered by less than friendly people, they box you in?

-Your pod is discovered and someone thinks its funny to blow it up, oops?

-The game launches, nothing exists, we all need to start crafting pods? Pods wouldnt be low tech elements. There wouldnt be any infrastructure to start the loop.

-The pod on your ship is damaged/destroyed, now what?

As always I am not opposed to depth or strange inconvenient mechanics that add to the overall game experience. I'm just a bit cautious about takings things a step too far. I hold on to the classic definition of emergent gameplay.

A set of simple rules that lead to complex interactions. However the devs decide how we log out I am here for the long haul. ;)

(A pod mechanic would not break the emergent gameplay rules at all. It would create gameplay.)

I believe the logoff location will be inherited by the highest level of grid (read: attached to). If you logged off on a moving ship, your logoff location will be saved as an offset from your ship's position. I am sure of this, because they have shown that they aim to preserve a frame of reference.

So at present that would be: Player-made construct grids > Planet/Moon/Asteroid voxel grids > Global Universe position.

I suppose it is up to NQ whether they are killed or transferred to the lower level grid, i.e. everyone logs back on in the location their ship was destroyed.

As far as we know, and this is all speculation, I believe that once the construct you log off of is destroyed, your character re-spawns at the closest RN to your last known location in save.

For example, take Point A and Point B. Point A is where you logged off and Point B is somewhere during your trip through space (while logged off). If your ship was destroyed at Point B, you would re-spawn at the closest RN to Point B, even though you logged off at Point A. Hope that wasn't too confusing.

There has to be some sort of trade-off.

First: to the planetary system your position would be fixed (on planet) but not towards the universe system (because of rotation). So it's depending where you are with layers of reference.

I like the pods idea, but as Falstaf said it introduces some problems whereas just logging off simply either let's you respawn (with possible blind passangers logged out - to me great gameplay. Know your sellers!) On that ship or just sends you to the nearest RN if the ship was destroyed.

But lets for the sake of argument assume we log out in pods. Let me ask a few questions to illustrate why I feel it creates more problems than it solves.

-You are in the middle of nowhere, do you need a pod at all times to log out?

-Your pod is discovered by less than friendly people, they box you in?

-Your pod is discovered and someone thinks its funny to blow it up, oops?

-The game launches, nothing exists, we all need to start crafting pods? Pods wouldnt be low tech elements. There wouldnt be any infrastructure to start the loop.

-The pod on your ship is damaged/destroyed, now what?

As always I am not opposed to depth or strange inconvenient mechanics that add to the overall game experience. I'm just a bit cautious about takings things a step too far. I hold on to the classic definition of emergent gameplay.

A set of simple rules that lead to complex interactions. However the devs decide how we log out I am here for the long haul. ;)

(A pod mechanic would not break the emergent gameplay rules at all. It would create gameplay.)

So I see that there has been a bit of discussion on this and how everything would work. I suppose I should map out my vision of what the stasis pods would do and how they would work.

So a Stasis Pod would be a medium-high tier research item. Lets be honest, no one is going to be making a spaceship straight away, and they're certainly not thinking about the first trip they make to be a really long one.

Players will go through the development of a ship for themselves or their organization, making what they need for a specific purpose.

I would like to make a long haul, traveling, vessel. I want to go off in to the stars and find the unknown. And I am fine with the fact that it could take me a while. (In this scenario).

Because the game runs a near-truly accurate Newtonian physics engine, inertia exists (as stated by NQ in a video), this means that there should be an option for a ship to drift with no engines, and no real reason for it to stop.

All of this works together in creating a need for some form of element, that will connect your saved, logged off coordinates, to the construct connected to the Stasis pod.

Lets say I disconnect from DU, or my game crashes or something happens.. if my ship was still moving, due to inertia, or the thrust behind the engines, then my ship isn't going to stop moving, but as the the players coordinates are saved on a static, universe scaled, coordinate system, my ship will keep on going without me. So this becomes a problem in itself for the game. As we haven't got too much information regarding logging off and how it works.

If a player really wants to go solo, or even with a group of friends across the galaxy on their rust bucket ship, they will need some form of way to connect to their moving ship. (As said by someone before, taking shifts whilst driving the ship).

- As a means not to break the game, players wouldn't NEED a stasis pod, it would be a luxury to have for traveling across the galaxy, whilst offline.

- Players obviously wouldn't need one on a planet, space station, moon or asteroid, as these things are static and do not move. Only on a dynamic core controlled construct would it be possible to use to its potential.

- IF some people find your ship or whatever vessel you are on whilst in stasis, due to the RDMS, they wouldn't truly be able to 'box' you in or any other evil thing. The worst they could do is kill you in stasis which would make you resurrect at the nearest RN to the location you died at. Due to leaving the Stasis Pod, you would no longer be dynamic along side the moving construct, you would be static and therefore your last known coordinates would be where you died.

The purpose for the pod (to clarify) would be to make it possible to keep moving, using inertia, whilst offline. It would be risky! Anything could happen to your ship whilst its still moving, but if a player wants to take that risk, then they may.

It would be just as big a risk as logging off and leaving your precious ship stationary in the middle of nowhere.

Just to clarify for others as well, I believe in a video, NQ said that when someone logs off, their body stays in the world for 3 minutes, and then disappears to protect itself.? I'm not sure if this is correct but that's what I heard.  If this is the case, we wouldn't really have to worry about people logging in and out to bypass being seen on board a ship or something like that :)

Because the game runs a near-truly accurate Newtonian physics engine, inertia exists (as stated by NQ in a video), this means that there should be an option for a ship to drift with no engines, and no real reason for it to stop.

(...)

Just to clarify for others as well, I believe in a video, NQ said that when someone logs off, their body stays in the world for 3 minutes, and then disappears to protect itself.? I'm not sure if this is correct but that's what I heard.  If this is the case, we wouldn't really have to worry about people logging in and out to bypass being seen on board a ship or something like that :)

As mentioned in the GDC meetup video there will be some sort of drag in space to slow down constructs - so no moving forever in one direction.

It was some AMA video imho. Don't know about the 3min but essentialy your character just vanishes.

Even with such a timer you can log out/in without being seen... you just need good intel....which is part of emergent gameplay... :)

*snip*

Hi Sullos. :)

First of all I need to correct you on your thinking there wont be any drag in space. JC said that there will be some artificial drag for gameplay reasons.

And somehow there seems to be some confusion about logging of on/in a dynamic construct. As I posted previously in this thread, a dynamic core has its own XYZ axis, independant from the world. When you log out on a dynamic construct the game will remember that position. The solution tree would be, for example, Player1@XYZ on DCU01@world coordinatesXYZ. Thats just to illustrate the hierarchy of the client finding your location.

https://youtu.be/0S7sjAoIFMQ

This video shows exactly what I mean. There isnt a need for a stasis pod to "glue" your character on a dynamic construct. If you were not fixed on the ship, how would a multi crew ship even work? Everybody would glitch/slide out of the construct wouldnt you think?

The RDMS would not prevent anything from happening to the pod. The RDMS only deals with permissions. I might not have permission to use your pod but I certainly have permission to blow it up or build a pyramid over it.

What if your pod is damaged, oh, now I cant log out safely?

Seperate log out rules for planets and for dynamic constructs? That is in my opinion awkward.

*snip*

Hi Falstaf,

Thank you for clarifying the drag in space topic, I had not yet read about that and that is certainly something I would not have known otherwise.

In regards to the logging on/off on a dynamic construct, thanks for clarifying that too, and from what I can demise, that is what I believed too. But the way you worded it made me realise my mistake. So thanks for making it clearer to me as to how it will work.

As far as the stasis pods go, as I said above, the pods would be something of luxury, so that way you could secure your body in an enclosed pod, tying your player to your vessel whilst it still moves, whilst you are offline.

If you were in a fight and your pod is damaged, you wouldn't be able to just set your ships heading and log off, you would need to either get to safety, and effect repairs, or risk logging off on a stationary ship.

No one would need a stasis pod, but it would act as a way of securing a body that is going offline.

Maybe it could act as another style of RN that you could log off inside of, and respawn at. I think it would add a small level of immersion to log off inside of a stasis pod (if you like, it certainly wouldn't be required).

Still quite new, and although I read many pages whenever I can, I still haven't caught up. Thanks for all the help though, everyone :)

Still quite new, and although I read many pages whenever I can, I still haven't caught up. Thanks for all the help though, everyone :)

Hey man there is a lot of information to go through and as with everything in development always subject to change. Its always fun talking about DU and without people with questions this place would be rather quiet. ;)

What we do know for sure, a 100% confirmed, is that constructs are persistent. There is no difference between a space station or a spaceship, it would be strange if a space station disappeared if the owner logs out.

That means that when you log out your spaceship stays in the game. So with that knowledge it means that if you log out in the middle of combat your assailant will have free reign blowing up or capturing (if possible) your ship. If the combat status of a ship isnt linked to the avatar, I think it wouldnt be.

Its possible that you wont be able to just flee from combat. We dont know anything about combat beyond "lock&fire".

Your pod idea as described in your last post sounds a lot like the capsule from EVE. It sounds like an escape pod in case of capture/destruction while you are offline. I'm sure many people would find that an appealing feature on a spaceship.

Your spaceship would have to be bigger than a 1 seat cockpit design and that pod would take an awful lot of time to get back home. :P Personally I would keep it as simple as possible but I would be OK if the devs do decide to implement a pod system as you describe/want.

There are definitely some questions to think about in this thread.

This covers up the comment I would make. Just to add to it, the logoff location is an offset of the Core Unit (would make sense to  do it that way). So the Core Unit is destroyed, log off locations fall into the next highest priority grid (planet Core Unit or if in vacuum, Stellar Core Unit). That way destroying a ship that its occupants are offline won't be an impromptu teleport :P

My proposal.

I'd say if you want to stay on a moving ship with friends but log off then you should use a cryo pod. If said pod is destroyed then your character re spawns where the pod was destroyed with added client-side voxel blocks (camera pan around avatar, text narrator at bottom of screen) around you to simulate rubble of the ship/pod (you survived, call a taxi).

Same when logged off in space in a ship/docked within a larger construct.

If you are online when the ship explodes then you are killed and re spawn with skill point lost/items/implants. 

Standard combat logging rules with players staying in the world for a short time after a disconnect.

Maybe the pod is never destroyed and acts like a lifeboat as well as a cyro pod. You just spawn back in and emerge from a pod with flashing emergency lights, client-side voxel blocks, again with some camera pan and short narration at the bottom of the screen explaining what happened. 

If said pod is destroyed then your character re spawns where the pod was destroyed with added client voxel blocks around you to simulate rubble of the ship/pod (you survived).

Aha, so you find yourself floating in space. Then what?

./suicide?

I find it hard to find the added gameplay value in that.

My proposal.

I'd say if you want to stay on a moving ship with friends but log off then you should use a cryo pod. If said pod is destroyed then your character re spawns where the pod was destroyed with added client-side voxel blocks (camera pan around avatar, text narrator at bottom of screen) around you to simulate rubble of the ship/pod (you survived, call a taxi).

So half of that idea I can agree with. The whole waking up where the pod was idea does sounds okay, but as far as Sci-fi lore goes, I think it would make more sense, that upon a pod being destroyed (whilst inside it) you should die with it.

The ability to log off on board a moving ship, if with friends or even somehow alone, that is what I think would add some more depth.

Aha, so you find yourself floating in space. Then what?

./suicide?

I find it hard to find the added gameplay value in that.

I agree, it doesn't really seem like something that would be viable. The universe is unfortunately (and in some cases very fortunately) a big place. Calling a 'space taxi' wouldn't really be an option, especially considering we haven't an idea as to how the chat region system will work, so how would you even begin to contact the taxi service.

especially considering we haven't an idea as to how the chat region system will work, so how would you even begin to contact the taxi service.

Yes, space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is.

And chat is another fascinating subject. In theory you could perhaps broadcast an SOS but you might get picked up by the wrong people, having only delayed the inevitable.

Or contact that friend who ows you a big favour. From that time you both got pulled over and you said it was yours.

My proposal.

Same when logged off in space in a ship/docked within a larger construct.

If you are online when the ship explodes then you are killed and re spawn with skill point lost/items/implants. 

Standard combat logging rules with players staying in the world for a short time after a disconnect.

Maybe the pod is never destroyed and acts like a lifeboat as well as a cyro pod. You just spawn back in and emerge from a pod with flashing emergency lights, client-side voxel blocks, again with some camera pan and short narration at the bottom of the screen explaining what happened. 

Get a pickup. It's the risk you take if you log off in a persistent ship. You would be floating in space anyway if the ship was destroyed. Maybe the pod will have some maneuverability.

Logging off in a persistent ship is something new the way I see to deal with it is go along the lines of what space engineers do.

At least in my proposal you don't die while you are logged off in a persistent ship.

I'd go as far to say that in order to have your skills train while offline is to log off in a pod. Would be a service for cities to offer. A place to log off your character. 

Get a pickup. It's the risk you take if you log off in a persistent ship. You would be floating in space anyway if the ship was destroyed. Maybe the pod will have some maneuverability.

Logging off in a persistent ship is something new the way I see to deal with it is go along the lines of what space engineers do.

At least in my proposal you don't die while you are logged off in a persistent ship.

I'd go as far to say that in order to have your skills train while offline is to log off in a pod. Would be a service for cities to offer. A place to log off your character.

Then this pod would have to be dirt cheap so every explorer could build it within 10min. And I would just be running around and killing pods whenever I see them. Just to stop people from training skills