Dual Universe on Reddit

I don't know how many Redditors we have on here, but I want to take the opportunity invite people to subscribe to the -actual- Dual Universe subreddit (as the DualUniverse name was squatted by someone somewhat hostile towards the community).

https://www.reddit.com/r/dualthegame/

I don't want to get into all the specifics of -why- there are two subreddit, suffice to say that /r/dualthegame is the one that the Devs said they would use. 

The guy running the other one has been banning anyone who mentions /r/dualthegame, which kind of goes to show how he really feels about the Devs and the community. 

I knew there were 2 subreddits but I didnt know anything of the background.

Although I dont participate in Reddit I'll make sure to visit the correct one in the future. ;)

Edit: I saw it was rather quiet in there so I made an account...

The guy running the other one has been banning anyone who mentions /r/dualthegame, which kind of goes to show how he really feels about the Devs and the community. 

I see that he could be a control freak, but I don't see anything directly hostile about him. Do you have any quotes/links?

(as the DualUniverse name was squatted by someone somewhat hostile towards the community).

I smell a power struggle. Sounds like someone trying to gain relevancy around here?  -_-

He says he wants the subreddit to be controlled by the community and not "novaquark puppets", but he doesn't actually ever interact with the community. He runs 47 subreddits, many of which were squatted on with names like "/r/dual_universe , /r/helliongame, /r/h1z1game" etc etc. 

I really don't think this has anything to do with neutrality so much as just trying to get a bit of attention and some imaginary power. 

I don't even really care about moderating the other subreddit, I'm not the head mod of /r/dualthegame, I just want someone who actually participates with the community and is welcoming to us to run it. Not someone who is going to ban people for mentioning anything that might take away their users.

I could care less if I'm made a mod there or whoever else gets it, so long as it's someone who is going to do a good job, not someone who is going to abandon it and show up every few months to remind everyone he's in charge. 

He says he wants the subreddit to be controlled by the community and not "novaquark puppets", but he doesn't actually ever interact with the community. He runs 47 subreddits, many of which were squatted on with names like "/r/dual_universe , /r/helliongame, /r/h1z1game" etc etc. 

I really don't think this has anything to do with neutrality so much as just trying to get a bit of attention and some imaginary power. 

I don't even really care about moderating the other subreddit, I'm not the head mod of /r/dualthegame, I just want someone who actually participates with the community and is welcoming to us to run it. Not someone who is going to ban people for mentioning anything that might take away their users.

I could care less if I'm made a mod there or whoever else gets it, so long as it's someone who is going to do a good job, not someone who is going to abandon it and show up every few months to remind everyone he's in charge. 

Have you tried reaching out to him? Seeing if others from the community who are dedicated and participate can come in and co-run it?

Have you tried reaching out to him? Seeing if others from the community who are dedicated and participate can come in and co-run it?

Several people have, several. 

That is a very long story, suffice to say nobody has had any luck on that front. He has something against people who communicate with Novaquark, he calls us "Puppets" for NQ. 

Incredible. "Puppets." Haha, good one

That reddit page though has very little attention. It seems dead, I mean, the last real post, not by the owner, was 10 days ago

Of course I'm commenting with a strong gut feeling here without really knowing the creator of the Dual Universe reddit (the one being questioned), nor did I do an awful lot of extensive research into the persona to get, well ... "more than gut feeling", nor can I obviously see banned posts, nor did I check myself if I would get banned by posting something "fitting". (That was basically my disclaimer)

But if that's all basically correct here as stated, then I suppose there's mostly two options.

The creator actually believes in the puppet thing or just uses it as excuse - or does so subconsciously at least. Excuse for what? I guess being able to run those and feel good about it? After all, someone said he did create various other game related subreddits. In addition to the whole "banning the competition" thing from the own reddit under some pretense (stated above) it doesn't seem to require a rocket scientist or psychologist to figure out that something is just "off" about it, eh?

Oh well. In the end, some people are weird. Of course, "weird" is very subjective, so instead of "weird", perhaps we could use the term "difficult to interact with at times". That could fit. In the end, people can make offers. Apparently some were made and they were met with rejection and censorship. If that was the case then all you can do is just move on. If even the Devs prefer the other reddit over his, then that's natural selection I suppose.

What doesn't work lands on the trash heap of history or is phased out in evolution. Pick whatever term you like. With that said or written, don't worry about it. Let's pick the vibrant reddit over the other one and benefit from it - as a community.

And should the creator of the other reddit read this thread and these lines: Feel free to step up and comment from your own perspective - perhaps it's unjust or there is a plot twist? Or is it as people assume? Still: That's what discourse, debate, discussion and more is about after all.

Here's​ the run down...

The puppet excuse is being used to not allow any other moderators help with the moderation of the subreddit, it is said that NQ should not apoint any moderators to the subreddit because it's a community ran subreddit... Which is true...

But when that excuse is being used to not put someone that is "actually" active in with the community, then that excuse doesn't help the case at all... Specially when the mod of the Reddit has had no previous interaction with the DU community here in the forums, socal medias and/or the community page...

We've tried, several of us, including myself, to come to an agreement -we are willing to lock the 2nd subreddit if me or another or active community member is given full permission over the Reddit - with mod in order to merge but the conversations have been deleted and have been met with a non-definite answer. As well as several of us being banned from the subreddit and the discord the conversations have taken place in... He's only become active now -in the Reddit at least - in response to our conversations/requests. IMO, to shun us away with a "I am active, what are talking about" phrase.

Point being, we've tried to come to agreement but we've yet to actually agree or resolve anything... Thus pointing you guys to the actual subreddit NQ uses - for now -

At this point this is not natural selection, it's just causing the community to split up...

Phew... That's my explanation based on what I've personally have seen and gone through trying to resolve this :/

I think the community will just handle it themselves.

Since NQ is active in "our" subreddit, news/features/announcements will spread from there, making the other subreddit superfluous when people realize where all the news come from.

Right now it's more of a seperation, but it will resolve soon imho.

Whatever this guy is or wants to be doesn't matter really when people realize he's not that involved with the community

Basically what Lethys said.

I don't really think it will "split" the community much and even if: just a question of time. I doubt we'll eventually see roughly 50% use DU reddit A and the other 50% use DU reddit B - especially if the devs favor one place over the other.

Chances are the more vibrant place with dev involvement will be favored by a larger part of the overall playerbase eventually, other places will just attract a fraction of it. The "market" at work I suppose.

Yea I wouldnt worry too much about it.

The other subreddit doesnt move at all and there was some confusion on my end about the 2 subreddits. This thread cleared that up though.

Who knows maybe the person has "noble" intentions. Trying to save us poor gamers from the evil overlords of NQ and that dastardly JC.

Or just another person trying to claim a position of relevance for some undisclosed reasons. Who knows right,..

As always some people will make up their own mind and some will follow, thats just how things go. In the end its not that important because DU has its own dedicated forum.

Either way, thank you to the people investing their time in this community. :)