Sloping armour

Puffeman

Hello i have looked around the forum and could not find if building whith sloping armour will help a ships survivability for an example. I hope it does i believe that designing will get much more interesting with this implemented.

We can always hope. If you have 100 mm  armour and it is angled 50 degrees you have to penetrate 155mm to shoot through it plus there is a chance that you deflect the shot but thats in real life.

If understand this correctly. It will be the combat system that will determines if sloop armor will work. There will be no problem building it. When i have been reading the dev blogg the write that you should be able to blow up a big hole in a ship and if thats going to work the parts of the ship have to have its own hp system and not a total hp for all the ship. They want big tactical combat in my world that means if you and you crew place your ship better than the enemy you will do more harm and if thats is going to work the angel of you shoot have to be in the calculations and that would also mean that the angel of what you hit must be consider

If understand this correctly. It will be the combat system that will determines if sloop armor will work. There will be no problem building it. When i have been reading the dev blogg the write that you should be able to blow up a big hole in a ship and if thats going to work the parts of the ship have to have its own hp system and not a total hp for all the ship. They want big tactical combat in my world that means if you and you crew place your ship better than the enemy you will do more harm and if thats is going to work the angel of you shoot have to be in the calculations and that would also mean that the angel of what you hit must be consider

Given my research into Unigine 2's (Dual game engine), geometrical and telemetrical calculations can be achieved. This means that in-game, the combat could that your cone of fire of the turrets, applies a "surface paint" on  the enemy ships. That surface combined with the distance of the two sships, determines "accuracy" and "damage consistency". Think of those two as your "DPS meter". The area you "paint" in your cone of fire, is the surface area of the enemy ship your turret sees at the moment of firing at it. This sounds like "FPS combat" but in reality, is cleverly disguised Active Lock-On, a tab targeting that takes skill and timing. The voxel damage could be randomised on the server's calculations, and I have zero clue on voxel technology to be honest. I'm a CSD guy, not Chuck Norris of programming.

Your sloping armor idea, is supported by the game's contouring system of building. You can built a crude arc with voxels and then trim the voxels to create a parabolic line, in essence, a sloping armor. This type of design could create less of a surface from different angles of view, giving you an end when it comes to reducing the "accuracy" of the enemy turrets, as you reduce your print on their cone of fire. Not by much, but surely a standard bonus and design method most people will follow for warships.

I thank you for your input CaptianTwerkmotor 

Of course, I could be entirely and irredeemably wrong on that, but given the devs words and my research into "predefined" patterns of combat systems for games that won't cause the server blade to crack in half, I'm pretty sure the Active Lock-On system may be implemented. Which is why thought out ships designs will be the good ones. Quite frankly, you can't make the perfect ship. You can make a ship though, that is addressed to a certain playstyle.

Enterprise's slim front profile is good in my assumption of the game's mechanic. It would make you harder to hit if you were "space-jousting" with another ship. But if a guy was to shoot you from above, you are literally a target dish. So, it's up both to the desgner and the player to figure out what kind of playstyle one wants.

You are totally right on that you cant build the perfect ship. Its probably better to build after your gamestyle and hope fore the best. The ship dont need to be the best if you know how to use tactics right. Can't wait to se the first big ship battles. The Enterprise idea was something i thought of hard to hit as long as  they are not right above you as you pointed out but more difficult to build and fit  with all stuff that you need. But a borg cube simple design lots of space fore your system perhaps  a little to easy to hit. Maybe you could move to your enemy facing them with one of the corners. 

You are totally right on that you cant build the perfect ship. Its probably better to build after your gamestyle and hope fore the best. The ship dont need to be the best if you know how to use tactics right. Can't wait to se the first big ship battles. The Enterprise idea was something i thought of hard to hit as long as  they are not right above you as you pointed out but more difficult to build and fit  with all stuff that you need. But a borg cube simple design lots of space fore your system perhaps  a little to easy to hit. Maybe you could move to your enemy facing them with one of the corners. 

The Borg Cubeship could actually be classified as a battleship if you used its large surfaces as a wall between your enemy's ships and the guys behind you. The thickness of the armor could also help with that. Remember, just because something is big and heavy, doesn't mena it's useless. After all, this game is MMORPG, somebody gotta be the tank, no? :P

And yes, anyone building disc-ships like the enterprise's main vessel would be having a hard time concealing their turrrets. The whole design of the Enterprise works with only two cannons mounted beneath the ship. :/

"In order to minimize your profile: the smaller is better. A swarm of small crafts can do as much damage as a few dreadnoughts. But, if targeting is to be done like Captain mentioned, oddly sized/shaped ships will likely be the hardest ones to hit. It's up to the designer and the client to decide."

"In order to minimize your profile: the smaller is better. A swarm of small crafts can do as much damage as a few dreadnoughts. But, if targeting is to be done like Captain mentioned, oddly sized/shaped ships will likely be the hardest ones to hit. It's up to the designer and the client to decide."

I am really hoping dreadnoughts/battleships do not become the main staying power in fleet engagements. Don't get me wrong, they're cool, but there is nothing like having your battle group focused around your carrier with your fighters and bombers doing the majority of the work while your heavy ships serve more of a defensive role. But alas, we just don't know enough yet to even begin thinking of fleet comps. :/

I am really hoping dreadnoughts/battleshops do not become the main staying power in fleet engagements. Don't get me wrong, they're cool, but there is nothing like having your battle group focused around your carrier with your fighters and bombers doing the majority of the work while your heavy ships serve more of a defensive role. But alas, we just don't know enough yet to even begin thinking of fleet comps. :/

"Well said. I'm personally against battles dominated by immovable statues situated at both ends of the battle. Don't worry, we know enough: battlecruisers and the like are going to be expensive and impossible to build at the start of the game. Mini-ships/destroyers are the largest crafts you may see for a long while."

"Well said. I'm personally against battles dominated by immovable statues situated at both ends of the battle. Don't worry, we know enough: battlecruisers and the like are going to be expensive and impossible to build at the start of the game. Mini-ships/destroyers are the largest crafts you may see for a long while."

To be fair, that isn't "enough" information to even begin theory crafting fleet comps. :P

But I get what you're saying of course.