A "physics" question, not game related.

Hotwingz

Hey guys and girls,

I have a question that may seem a bit odd.

First I'll give you a picture.

I have build a wooden frame box.

Over the frame I have attached black "plastic" that prevents water/moisture/humidity/light to go through it.

Like you would frame canvas for a painting. The bottom of the box is open to provide a constant fresh air exchange. The entire structure sits on a pallet on soil.

The idea is that because of the properties of the plastic the inside temperature and humidity is higher then outside. Sunshine in the summer should significantly increase the inside temperature. All the while keeping the inside wind free.

Now if water starts to evaporate in high qauntities during the summer months the humidity should increase. If I understand the idea behind relative humidity it will need a lot more water in the summer to achieve similar humidity levels.

My question is: If the outside temperature and humidity is lower than the inside temperature where will the water condense?

If the water condenses inside, does that lower the inside temperature?

(The objective of the box is to increase temperature and humidity in a low ambient light enviroment)

I'd expect it to condense on the inside because that's what happens in the winter with my car windows after I warm up the car a bit.

Not sure about condensation itself lowering the temperature, I've never heard of that.

Instinctively I'd say that the condensation will take place on the inside, but I'm not sure how the hole at the bottom will affect it. It might cause the temperature to be too equal on the in- and outside to cause any condensation to take place at all. 

Thanks guys and girl to answer my question.

So if I understand this correctly, because the plastic is hot and the inside temperature is so high I should see no condensation?

So basicly in this set up I would succeed in having a hot humid environment?

I'm trying to grow a slightly more tropical oystermushroom variation this comming summer. Its my hobby and one of my rules is that it should be a low impact growth. So no external energy (electricity) , recycled or reusable materials stuff like that. Still working on filtering rain water for irrigation.

It wouldn't condensate on a sunny day. Depending on the insulating properties of the materials (thickness of that plastic mainly) you could end up with some small condensation problems at dawn/night when the inside of the box is still hot and the outside rapidly cools down.

Nice hobby :) depending on the price of such a mushroom I would just try what you have in mind, should work fine

Hehe thanks Lethys, yea I enjoy it very much. I love to eat mushrooms and the choice in shops is very poor in variation or qaulity. Not to mention the "tricks" to grow on industrial scale.

So I grow them myself. :D

Nothing beats freshly picked crops.

I might need to create some flow guides or a mesh for the slight condensation, we dont want the mushrooms to get condense on their heads.

Yeah, we have 50m² of vegetable garden, 100m of different berries, apple/apricot/pear/cherry trees :) I never thought about mushrooms though. I'll possibly steal your idea there :D

What if you just build a small roof with that plastic on top, 10-20° should be enough for the water to flow to the sides

What if you just build a small roof with that plastic on top, 10-20° should be enough for the water to flow to the sides

Yes, my mind was also going towards something like that, like I leave some space on the sides so the air can travel up. Then when it cools down it would collect on that second barrier and I can guide it from there, something like that?

Yea my vegetable garden is about half that size. :D mostly fresh herbs, rubarber stuff like that. Although this year I planted some potatoes as alternating crop. If all goes well I end up with about a 100 kilos, should last me a year.:P

I wish my climate would allow for apricots. All we can do is apple, pear, prunes and mine were never sweet.

If you want some pointers on growing mushrooms, give me a shout. They are perfect to grow in that "wasted" shady spot in the garden. Very cheap as well once you get going.

Yes, my mind was also going towards something like that, like I leave some space on the sides so the air can travel up. Then when it cools down it would collect on that second barrier and I can guide it from there, something like that?

Yea my vegetable garden is about half that size. :D mostly fresh herbs, rubarber stuff like that. Although this year I planted some potatoes as alternating crop. If all goes well I end up with about a 100 kilos, should last me a year. :P

I wish my climate would allow for apricots. All we can do is apple, pear, prunes and mine were never sweet.

If you want some pointers on growing mushrooms, give me a shout. They are perfect to grow in that "wasted" shady spot in the garden. Very cheap as well once you get going.

Yep, sounds good - should work fine!

Aww, very nice. Potatoes are nice to grow, easy, cheap and better than the bought ones. Well it's the first year for apricots, we'll see how it works out. But considering we live near THE SPOT in austria where those trees grow it should be fine.

Will do, don't know what to do there anyway so that's a very clever idea

Aww, very nice. Potatoes are nice to grow, easy, cheap and better than the bought ones. Well it's the first year for apricots, we'll see how it works out. But considering we live near THE SPOT in austria where those trees grow it should be fine.

Ooh nice I didnt know Austria did apricots. Yum yum. :P

Its nice growing your own fruit and vegetables. Good luck though!

If you want to create condense naturally without using any electricity, you'll have to rely on the day/night cycle. Now the question is, what kind of environment do you need inside the "box" to grow those mushrooms (i'm not a mushroom expert)?

If you want to create condense naturally without using any electricity, you'll have to rely on the day/night cycle. Now the question is, what kind of environment do you need inside the "box" to grow those mushrooms (i'm not a mushroom expert)?

Oh I dont need condense per se. I'll explain what I would like to create.

The mushroom in question enjoys a temperature between 21 to 30 degree celsius. A relative humidity between 98-100%, 500-1000 lux and 4-5 fresh air exhanges per hour. Those are optimum conditions for professional farmers.

Thats to get the pins to form. (Primordia, baby mushroom)

The beauty of oystermushrooms is that they are very flexible. So those numbers are something to aim at, the temperature, fresh air exchange and light levels wont be an issue.

I'm more concerned about getting the humidity up as close as possible to the target number.

The basic plan right now is to let water evaporate inside the box and mist the inside of the box as much as possible.

Probably through a misting port so I dont need to break the inside atmosphere too much.

It sounds a lot more complex than it really is.