Will Mechas be possible?

DoctorCoconut

you do not want options and possibilities in a game that in part is based around creativity and building ?

You missed the point of "it went stupid with hinges".

You can have hinges that don't rely on physics, just acting as joints for creating a multipart construct.

Point is, you can have a list of "skeleton" parts for a construct, so we can use Lua to plan ouit animations and/or pathing issues with balance equilibrium on walking - like a 3D model on Blender / Maya. I just don't see it being integral to the game - especially since Mechas don't really have something to offer tactcailly over MBTs, especially if NQ doesn't go for collision damage. 

You missed the point of "it went stupid with hinges".

You can have hinges that don't rely on physics, just acting as joints for creating a multipart construct.

Point is, you can have a list of "skeleton" parts for a construct, so we can use Lua to plan ouit animations and/or pathing issues with balance equilibrium on walking - like a 3D model on Blender / Maya. I just don't see it being integral to the game - especially since Mechas don't really have something to offer tactcailly over MBTs, especially if NQ doesn't go for collision damage. 

There is one place that mechas (smaller ones) would have an advantage over MBTs and that's within large urban centres (should cities ever get planned out) These mechs would likely only be a bit larger than a human though. 

KidsWalker-257x300.jpg

(something slightly larger than this)

These mini mechs would be useful for urban operations where an MBT's gun would be limited in movement and Infantry would not be able to carry heavier weapons. Vehicles like IFVs and humvees would work but they have their limitations (when a mech could in theory be piloted by one dude) 

The anime Gasaraki does show a battlefield niche for mecha, operating as massive versions of infantry and using buildings for cover in dense urban environments. 

There is one place that mechas (smaller ones) would have an advantage over MBTs and that's within large urban centres (should cities ever get planned out) These mechs would likely only be a bit larger than a human though. 

KidsWalker-257x300.jpg

(something slightly larger than this)

These mini mechs would be useful for urban operations where an MBT's gun would be limited in movement and Infantry would not be able to carry heavier weapons. Vehicles like IFVs and humvees would work but they have their limitations (when a mech could in theory be piloted by one dude) 

The anime Gasaraki does show a battlefield niche for mecha, operating as massive versions of infantry and using buildings for cover in dense urban environments. 

That's more in the real of Armors in-game not Voxel Construct.

An exosuit (like Fallout's Power Armor) is a mecha on its own. The person inside pilots the bipedal armor (which is another word for MBT).

A Power Armor like from Fallout, would be something expensive, and something alliances would only bbestow an Insruance for GOOD PvPers - similar to how in EVE, a person can buy their own Titan, but theirr allinace would be the one to insure that Titan for when it's used for oeprations.

So, I think Power Armors as a mechanised form of warfare DOES have its use, just not in a 70 meters tasll scale.

Pus, you'll just die from two shots from a Tank's cannon even in a Power Armor, so it's balanced. It's just a very powerful AND EXPENSIVE Avatar Armor.

That's more in the real of Armors in-game not Voxel Construct.

An exosuit (like Fallout's Power Armor) is a mecha on its own. The person inside pilots the bipedal armor (which is another word for MBT).

A Power Armor like from Fallout, would be something expensive, and something alliances would only bbestow an Insruance for GOOD PvPers - similar to how in EVE, a person can buy their own Titan, but theirr allinace would be the one to insure that Titan for when it's used for oeprations.

So, I think Power Armors as a mechanised form of warfare DOES have its use, just not in a 70 meters tasll scale.

Pus, you'll just die from two shots from a Tank's cannon even in a Power Armor, so it's balanced. It's just a very powerful AND EXPENSIVE Avatar Armor.

Let me find a better picture also MBT stands for Main Battle Tank

ban954032.jpg

While a tank would win on an open plain tanks have a hard time doing things like shooting from behind cover, engaging enemies above it, and generally fighting in an urban environment. 

Also the nemesis of hovertanks will be stairs

Let me find a better picture also MBT stands for Main Battle Tank

ban954032.jpg

While a tank would win on an open plain tanks have a hard time doing things like shooting from behind cover, engaging enemies above it, and generally fighting in an urban environment. 

Also the nemesis of hovertanks will be stairs

Yeah, well, still, this thing is Japanese fantasy. It's no different than kamehameha waves.

This armor would not protect its user from a hint on the torso from a tank's shell. Believe it or not, cool factor does not mitigate damage :P

I just don't see it being integral to the game - especially since Mechas don't really have something to offer tactcailly over MBTs, especially if NQ doesn't go for collision damage. 

because it allows variety and options, having only belts and grey blocks would be boring. getting options to do legs, wheels, belts and so on will create a larger more diverse world.

if they will be better or more effective is a mute point as we just don't know how the game will handle it yet, if at all.

because it allows variety and options, having only belts and grey blocks would be boring. getting options to do legs, wheels, belts and so on will create a larger more diverse world.

if they will be better or more effective is a mute point as we just don't know how the game will handle it yet, if at all.

Which is why I said "add a skeleton list of elements". They can do that if people want Mechas that badly.

Howver, I do think it's a waste of time on NQ's part to design Space Engineer redonkulous broken physics on hinges. The Unigine 2 code can support them, as well as pistons, however, if it doesn't feat NQ's vision, they won't do it.

My skeleton idea also can be achieved by tweaking the already existing "connection tool" for linking Elements (as shown on the dev diarieis). Much more economic and achioeves the same desired effect - and even more.

So, yeah, screw hinges, there are far better ways of achieving the same "artistic depth" for building things.

Yeah, well, still, this thing is Japanese fantasy. It's no different than kamehameha waves.

This armor would not protect its user from a hint on the torso from a tank's shell. Believe it or not, cool factor does not mitigate damage :P

The armour wouldn't protect from tank shells is not the point. The point is about urban combat. A mech would do far better in a city full of tall buildings than a tank ever would solely by the nature of a mech's design. The armour wouldn't protect against tank shells but the building the mech is hiding behind will. 

I'm not talking about cool factor. It doesn't even factor into the equation. However the fact that you are only comparing armour to armour is where you have this wrong.

Using a mech like a tank will get you killed, there is no doubt about it. If a mech and a tank squared off 1v1 on an open field the tank would win 9 times out of 10. 

But in an urban environment with plenty of cover, tall buildings, and narrow alleyways a tank is simply the wrong tool for the job. Fighting in urban environments is a nightmare for a tank. Tight streets and sharp turns that stop you from moving your gun, short sightlines that hamper your aim, and the problem of elevating your gun high enough to hit the top floor of the building beside you.

But sometimes you absolutely need big guns on the ground, for this mechs are perfect. They can easily traverse over rubble, hide behind cover, and although they are just as vulnerable as tanks to RPGs and the like they can shoot in any direction they want! Why do you think current warfare doctrine focuses so much on IFVs (infantry fighting vehicles) compared to tanks? Because infantry are capable of using terrain to their advantage in a way that tanks just can't match. 

The armour wouldn't protect from tank shells is not the point. The point is about urban combat. A mech would do far better in a city full of tall buildings than a tank ever would solely by the nature of a mech's design. The armour wouldn't protect against tank shells but the building the mech is hiding behind will. 

I'm not talking about cool factor. It doesn't even factor into the equation. However the fact that you are only comparing armour to armour is where you have this wrong.

Using a mech like a tank will get you killed, there is no doubt about it. If a mech and a tank squared off 1v1 on an open field the tank would win 9 times out of 10. 

But in an urban environment with plenty of cover, tall buildings, and narrow alleyways a tank is simply the wrong tool for the job. Fighting in urban environments is a nightmare for a tank. Tight streets and sharp turns that stop you from moving your gun, short sightlines that hamper your aim, and the problem of elevating your gun high enough to hit the top floor of the building beside you.

But sometimes you absolutely need big guns on the ground, for this mechs are perfect. They can easily traverse over rubble, hide behind cover, and although they are just as vulnerable as tanks to RPGs and the like they can shoot in any direction they want! Why do you think current warfare doctrine focuses so much on IFVs (infantry fighting vehicles) compared to tanks? Because infantry are capable of using terrain to their advantage in a way that tanks just can't match. 

I personally have no rpbolem wit a slightly bigger armor type in-0game akin to the MAX Suit from Planetside 2 - a Power Armor.

MAX suits are still force multipliers, they act as bipedal armor, but they DO need logistical support on the field ,otherwise they die. Now mix in some EVE Online mechaniucs wioth the armors costing a lot of money to make ,and boom, you got "mechanised infentry" in your faction's military.

Point being, people shouild not expect to see Power Armors left right and center. It's not an "end-game" armor - like some idiots who come into EVE, thinking "Titans are the end-game".|

Which is what I am saying to be honest, people should not expect their bipdeal armor to take over for an MBT's role. 

I'm curious. Will building be advanced to the point where we could build gigantic war machine for combat? Something along the lines of these:

Definately YES!

They wont be able to move thier limbs but if you build a space ship you can create a shape like a mecha, wanzer, EV-Unit, Zoid, Renegade-Unit or whatever you want to call it...