Will Mechas be possible?

DoctorCoconut

From my understanding not walking ones.

Edit: This post is bugging me because I am tried of hearing about giant robots. My brother wont shut up about them. I can not remember a day he has not lectured me about something giant robot related. ITS SO ANNOYING!!!

Sorry I had to vent.

So.

I have a very good friend of mine who is dearly obsessed with Battletech lore, Heavy Gear lore, and Hawken lore(what little there is). So as I can answer, it may or may not be possible. The devs joked about it in the Q&A a long time ago in their Answer about rotors and pistons. So there is a possibility but as Lethys has said, doesn't look like they will be in the release of the game. So it is saddening.

I would love to see the uses of mechs. Even though I have some knowledge of how they will not be as useful as hovercrafts or so on, I can still hope we build them.

As far as my limited understanding goes, big reason there will be no wheeled vehicles is due to physics calculating ground contact being very taxing for server. Mobile mech contructs requiring some ground contact would probably have that same problem, though on a smaller scale. Tech-savvy fellows, please correct.

And as many have mentioned, no rotating or such elements in release version... But it is not completely shut off (yet?) as an option to have those later on. I Would love to see some walking machines. 

I just thought since ships are psychics based somebody could hook two ships together with some voxels then wirelessly access one ship to use its thrusters. That would make a hinge. It would probably be hard to control but it would be cool to build.

Hopefully that was clear.

And that is how over-hype starts. :).

No! It is not possible due to physics constrains to make this game playable for masses in single shard universe.
You can build giant ships instead and be happy too. You can even make a one that is shaped like that if you really like it so much :)
There is a reason why we going to have hovercraft not a wheeled vehicles.

Just stay real people and reasonable!

And that is how over-hype starts. :).

No! It is not possible due to physics constrains to make this game playable for masses in single shard universe.

You can build giant ships instead and be happy too. You can even make a one that is shaped like that if you really like it so much :)

There is a reason why we going to have hovercraft not a wheeled vehicles.

Just stay real people and reasonable!

Overhyped? That's a little dramatic, I wouldn't let It drift THAT far. This Is just a simple question. A fair one too, I'd simply like to know If the building system would be ready for giant robots and/or exosuits. 

It all depends when they manage to get moving joints working, and how they manage to do those. The devs said a few times they are planning to look into this, but not before alpha and possibly beta releases, so we'll just have to wait and see for that. You would just have to make do with really really big hovercrafts in the meantime.

You would just have to make do with really really big hovercrafts in the meantime.

Fine, I guess that will have to do for now. :P

But seriously the fact that NQ is concidering adding joints and such at some point is already very cool. Thats the beauty of taking the time to write your own engine.

• 2 months later...

From my understanding not walking ones.

Edit: This post is bugging me because I am tried of hearing about giant robots. My brother wont shut up about them. I can not remember a day he has not lectured me about something giant robot related. ITS SO ANNOYING!!!

Sorry I had to vent.

Voltron is the all-time best one.

I think it would be possible to create something that looks like a mech by using Lua to have a ship fly at a certain height and then use force fields to create and move the legs even though they actually don't do anything.

I think it would be possible to create something that looks like a mech by using Lua to have a ship fly at a certain height and then use force fields to create and move the legs even though they actually don't do anything.

I don't think we can actually let the legs move asynchronous since there is no mechanical hinge that we know of that would be needed to have parts of a construct have their own movement direction and velocity which would be independent from the rest of the construct.

But making something look like a giant mech and letting it hover over the ground (as one construct)  -  sure that we know of being possible.

I don't think we can actually let the legs move asynchronous since there is no mechanical hinge that we know of that would be needed to have parts of a construct have their own movement direction and velocity which would be independent from the rest of the construct.

But making something look like a giant mech and letting it hover over the ground (as one construct)  -  sure that we know of being possible.

You don't need hinges to have moving parrts, but you do need proper code on the engine to support multi-partial constructs that move independently. Just because Space Engineers went stupid with hinges, doesn't mean DU has to as well.

Also, you can script leg behavior in Lua. I know, crazy, using a C++ extension language to properly make legs behave depending on detected terrain distance and center of mass.

The real issue is if Mechas are even worth it. Having a point of elevation means you can shoot people better, but it als omeans people can shoot you better.

And unlike a mecha, an MBT is pretty straightforward on design, scripting and production cost.

But, if NQ allows for player made ship weaponry by allowing us to construct turrets with voxels, there may be a way to make Mechas period - it's just going to be a very hard time scripting the darned thing, especially for people who don't know what golden ratios are or suck at math in general. I'd go for a scoprion like MBT, just I can go HAM on infantry as well as other MBTs - (not to mention = slim profile fof a scorpion, harder time to have a good lock on the construct's shape ;) )

Space Engineers went stupid with hinges, doesn't mean DU has to as well.

you do not want options and possibilities in a game that in part is based around creativity and building ?