Water, Pledges, Connectivity, and Painting Elements!

Sullos

Good day to all Duel Universe Community members!

First off I am very excited for this game, and I cant wait to see where the Community can take it. However that being said I have a few questions in regards to where the Dev's plan to take DU...

Water

I should start on the note, that I am a huge fan of Stargate, (Atlantis, SG-1, and Universe) and in Stargate Atlantis an entire city sized ship is built. I have no doubt in my mind that building it will be possible in Du, if not a little bit difficult, however Atlantis rested on the surface of the ocean. This is just one example I can think of, but I would someday hope to be able to build a city on, or under the water. But I cannot find any information regarding to what the water will look like in game, how it will behave, and how will the oceans be formed on a planet through procedural generation?

Will players and vessels be able to enter water, be able to have floating structures built upon the surface?

How deep will water be?

Will water be able to limit the impact an energy weapon has on a structure completely submerged (Like in Stargate Atlantis, The Wraith would open fire from space and the shots would partially dissipate in the water as Atlantis was submerged, etc.)

If it is possible to build underwater, will you be able to drain areas of water and perhaps build habitats on the ocean floor? (Thinking of Bioshock here...)

(My interest in water in this topic is not purely based off of other games, or Sci-fi shows, but more or less as I have designed a real life model of an underwater city and the difficulties in sustaining life in an enclosed environment underwater.)

Pledges and Connectivity

Moving on to pledges. I am currently at a  Gold Level Pledge, not so much for the rewards, but because of my interest and love for what this game could become! It already looks amazing! And the only thing stopping me from backing this game further is the fact that I live in Australia, and I am worried about how well connectivity to a European server will be.

So once we have had a chance to try out the Alpha (Gold pledge and upwards I believe?), will we still be able to further upgrade our pledges? 

I ask because if I find the game to work with minimal connectivity issues and limited server lag etc, I would very much like to be able to pledge more to the development of the game.

Furthering on this topic even more, I am currently a test guinea pig for my friends and I. If I find that the connectivity is working well enough, I could easily bring 5 or more people to this game! Which in my opinion would be awesome for me and for the community!

Painting Elements

So my last topic of interest that I have on my mind is in regards to the painting and how it will tie into the elements system.

So as we have all seen in the videos, various voxels are painted and can be changed colour.

So how about Elements?

If I place down a Control Unit, or an Engine, or even a Decorative element like a wing, will I be able to use the same painting system to change the Elements colour?

Quite a simple question I believe.

Anyway, Thank you for reading my mess of words and poor punctuation, and I hope to see you all in the Universe!

- Sullos of the Sullosian Empire

Hi there, those are some questions. :D

I'll do my best to answer them and I'm sure other people will add to it.

Water: Water at the moment is a static block. No flow mechanics, traveling under water seems to not work right now. Maybe a hovercraft can travel over it. Building on water is also not possible right now. At least thats what I understood and I could be wrong.

Connectivity and Pledges: Since the server tech uses distributed load I can imagine there wont be just 1 connection to europe. I suspect DU will run between several server clusters around the world. In that scenario you would connect to the closest to your location. Again this is from my understanding the technology behind DU.

After this pledge portal we will get 2 more portals. You will be able to increase your pledge at any given time up until release.

Painting elements: This will not be possible I think. Elements are static mesh models with a predefined art style. This leads me to speculate you wont be able to paint them. But I could be wrong, NQ does seem to provide as much creative freedom as possible. So maybe this will be a to be announced feature.

I hope this helps you. :)

Anyone, feel free to correct me if needed.

To elaborate a bit more on what Falstaf already said:

In the Rules&Announcement subgroup you'll find all three AMA (ask me anything) threads. Read them, they answer A lot of questions.

Water

No flowing water for release but (as answered in the AMA event) they think about underwater bases and stuff.

Pledges

There is plenty of time for pledging left, although the rewards might be less later on.

Servers

DU is based upon cloud servers, so you will connect to the nearest one. No problem for pings.

Painting

You can paint voxels so far, shown in the ship building video. But afaik you can't build elements with different color.

Welcome to the forum and have fun reading all the deven blogs, watching the videos and using the search function (pretty please - this advice has nothing to do with this post here which is perfectly fine)

(My interest in water in this topic is not purely based off of other games, or Sci-fi shows, but more or less as I have designed a real life model of an underwater city and the difficulties in sustaining life in an enclosed environment underwater.)

Just a random thought, but living in a space station would be very similar to living in an enclosed environment underwater, would it not?

Just a random thought, but living in a space station would be very similar to living in an enclosed environment underwater, would it not?

Somewhat, yes. Living underwater as it turns out, is in some ways much more difficult and dangerous. Where as in space everything is basically being ripped apart as the higher levels of pressure (a pressurized space vessel/ship) are being pulled into the vastness of space - underwater everything is being crushed, as the external pressure is much, much higher than the pressure required to survive inside a sealed, 1atmospheric pressure environment (a dome or underwater city). Being able to have a structure strong enough to withstand being crushed constantly, along with changing environmental pressures and being able to be elastic enough to withstand planetary movements (Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Tectonic Movements etc.) is very difficult to create. Although DU wont have all of those environmental effects, it is still interesting to know though. :D

To elaborate a bit more on what Falstaf already said:

In the Rules&Announcement subgroup you'll find all three AMA (ask me anything) threads. Read them, they answer A lot of questions.

Water

No flowing water for release but (as answered in the AMA event) they think about underwater bases and stuff.

Pledges

There is plenty of time for pledging left, although the rewards might be less later on.

Servers

DU is based upon cloud servers, so you will connect to the nearest one. No problem for pings.

Painting

You can paint voxels so far, shown in the ship building video. But afaik you can't build elements with different color.

Welcome to the forum and have fun reading all the deven blogs, watching the videos and using the search function (pretty please - this advice has nothing to do with this post here which is perfectly fine)

Thank you so much for all of that!

I have taken to your suggestion and read the AMA Event Posts, and I am grateful for the suggestion, it has answered many questions and has probably prevented me from asking several more.

As for the voxels, I understand you can paint various different ones in the videos, however I am not aware to what extent they can be painted. Are there glass voxels? (Similar to Minecraft's glass blocks I guess, or even Space Engineers glass panes) And would you be able to paint them?

And the same goes for lights. Whilst i have seen lights in the videos, I would be interested to know if they can be painted (changed in colour). For example if I were to make a Star Trek 'Enterprise' style of ship, would I be able to colour the lights to a blue colour to make the deflector dish?

Hi there, those are some questions. :D

I'll do my best to answer them and I'm sure other people will add to it.

Water: Water at the moment is a static block. No flow mechanics, traveling under water seems to not work right now. Maybe a hovercraft can travel over it. Building on water is also not possible right now. At least thats what I understood and I could be wrong.

Connectivity and Pledges: Since the server tech uses distributed load I can imagine there wont be just 1 connection to europe. I suspect DU will run between several server clusters around the world. In that scenario you would connect to the closest to your location. Again this is from my understanding the technology behind DU.

After this pledge portal we will get 2 more portals. You will be able to increase your pledge at any given time up until release.

Painting elements: This will not be possible I think. Elements are static mesh models with a predefined art style. This leads me to speculate you wont be able to paint them. But I could be wrong, NQ does seem to provide as much creative freedom as possible. So maybe this will be a to be announced feature.

I hope this helps you. :)

Anyone, feel free to correct me if needed.

Thanks for your response! Answers my questions well! :)

As for the voxels, I understand you can paint various different ones in the videos, however I am not aware to what extent they can be painted. Are there glass voxels? (Similar to Minecraft's glass blocks I guess, or even Space Engineers glass panes) And would you be able to paint them?

And the same goes for lights. Whilst i have seen lights in the videos, I would be interested to know if they can be painted (changed in colour). For example if I were to make a Star Trek 'Enterprise' style of ship, would I be able to colour the lights to a blue colour to make the deflector dish?

In some YT video JC mentions glass voxels (I think it was the Graystillplays one, not sure though). As far as I can remember he said they're looking into it and want to implement them but they have some issues (can't remember why....twerk?) :)

We don't have any info on changing colors of lights or other objects (except voxels) - but an educated guess here would be: probably not at release, but maybe later on they implement a custom painting system of some sort.

I don't intend to silence people or preventing them from asking questions - by all means, ask, watch videos, read and talk about DU to your friends - as long as they weren't already discussed in lenght. I'm really patient with newbros but some are just....necromancers ;)

You are very welcome. :)

There is a surprising amount of information available already but there is still so much we dont know.

As for glass and coloured lights I think we can speculate on it.

They are both obvious voxel materials so the only reason we wouldnt see them is either not enough development time or technical constraints. One can be fixed given enough time, the other not so much.

I think its pretty safe to assume some type of transparent material will exist.

...necromancers ;)

We said No Zombies!