Underground building aides

Stig92

Simply put I like idea of building underground (bunkers, hidden bases etc.) but it can be very difficult to keep track of the caves, what's the shape of the cavern and especially to not accidentally dig into another room unintentionally. I learned this could be challenging in Space engineers except with free cam, which probably won't be possible in MMO.

My suggestion is to have some kind of scanner that lets builder to kind of see through the voxels, not necessarily details of what is going on in another cavern, but at least where all of the caverns are.This could have a limited range that would depend on how advanced tool you have. This could also be used to make maps of tunnels that could be useful. A deep mining tunnel could have signs shoving people what to except/where to go.

If implemented you'd have to balance this quite well so:

- only in build mode usable

- shows no players

- can't be used on other players' caves

Or, if they go for a more sophisticated scanner (which I would love) then it should be balanced so that

- the higher (=more expensive) the scanner, the more info it shows (wider radius, shows players, shows constructs,...)

- players can counter this scanner by building some kind of base equipment

I was thinking simple scanner that exposes empty space in voxel, but it's true that could be used for more than just building your own hideout. Maybe there could be either some jammer device or stealth composite that could be used as layer around the underground base to block scans (would show as being just regular voxel ground). That way you could still have an actual hidden base.

Ps. congrats for 1000th post as soon as you post next time Lethys.

I was thinking simple scanner that exposes empty space in voxel, but it's true that could be used for more than just building your own hideout. Maybe there could be either some jammer device or stealth composite that could be used as layer around the underground base to block scans (would show as being just regular voxel ground). That way you could still have an actual hidden base.

Ps. congrats for 1000th post as soon as you post next time Lethys.

Exactly....If that scanner would show everything then it would be abused to find bases so I like the idea of a camo/stealth/whatever device so your caves/base doesn't show up at all and the intruder has no idea you're there.

Ps.: ty, didn't realize that :D

I don't yet have 3 dimensional paper to map 3d tunnel in scale and with enough detail to ensure not hitting other chamber for example. 

Then again we could all just draw our bases, ships and organisations on paper, role-play through chat or forum and save around 10-15€/month for not needing to pay DU when it comes out.

... did you mean to write "Aides" at the title? Cause there's a difference between "UNDERGROUND BUILDING AIDES" and "UNDERGROUND BUILDING AIDS".

One of the two is an amazing feature for builders, the other is a comment on the possibility of everyone playing Dig-A-Mole Builders Online.

• 2 weeks later...

you could have it so the scanners only work underground in a specific radius projecting outwards like a ring e.g. (like when a stone is thrown into a lake) instead of projecting  outwards all around like a sphere.

Or have beacons placed around your underground base that when you use a scanner it pulses and they reflect back off the beacons.

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2017 at 10:13 PM, YouAgain said:

Or have beacons placed around your underground base that when you use a scanner it pulses and they reflect back off the beacons.

I think this would be the best solution at the beginning. Would allow people to dig underground without the possibility of it being used to find other people's bases. In the future maybe implement the jammer and advanced scanner that can detect others caves/constructs/ect.

On 17.3.2017 at 6:24 PM, Alex_Rogan said:

Why not have 3d map that shows only your constructs that gets enabled in build mode?

True a scanner would be quicker, but when you have twelve floors with two hundred rooms it would be nice to see the whole picture.

That would be nice though there would be problem of what is counted as your construct. With underground bases there would be lot of voxel digging and shaping that would still just be part of the planet rather than separate grid defined by core unit.  Some tool of mapping areas/constructs would be very helpful. 

On 3/17/2017 at 6:47 AM, Lethys said:

If implemented you'd have to balance this quite well so:

- only in build mode usable

- shows no players

- can't be used on other players' caves

Exactly this. We definitely need some sort of tool to facilitate building in places where you can't see your surroundings, and some sort of vision mode (like infra-red, but it only picks out elements you've built) would be perfect. However, as you said Lethys, I'd make it a built-in feature of "Build Mode" that you can toggle on and off, so people can only use it when building a structure they own. This would also be super useful when attempting to build internal elements of a ship or building, because you wouldn't have to deconstruct a wall to ensure you're properly aligning internal elements with external elements, like wings, or pillars, and so on.

And definitely prevent it from showing other players, vehicles, or elements of any kind, so it can't be used as a combat aid. 

orginal[

ich fand die Scanner im Film "Prometheus – Dunkle Zeichen" toll. 3 von denen will ich auch haben!

Sie scannen nur Oberflächen und stellen sie über Funk auf einem Computer 3D dar. Sie machen einen Infrarotscan, aber können nicht interagieren.
]orginal
google-englisch[

I found the scanners in the movie "Prometheus - dark signs" great. 3 of those I will have!
They only scan surfaces and display them wirelessly on a 3D computer. They make an infrared scan but can not interact.

]google-englisch

mfG Die Waldfee

Thinking about how scanning works when looking for resources to mine, you scan tool sends out a pulse in a circler or cone in front of you and the area around you. So the same tech could be used when building underground. You hit the scan on your tool and it sort of maps out or shows the rock features in the area. Maybe can have it so the area you just scaned stays visible as like a hologram or something for a time, you build based on that and then can scan the next area when ready. Seems like  OPs idea would fit perfectly in with what we already know about the functionality of our varies scanning and mining tools we will have.

• 1 month later...

I'd be a fan of a somewhat realistic 3D map interface that you could connect to the complex (which would also scan the nearby surrounding areas). It would be balanced since building the interface would require rights to build it (e.g. can't use it to creep on other bases). Plus I don't think that seeing players would be that bad (perhaps a lifeform detector addition?). Gives base defense a little more meaning, especially for underground complexes.

• 4 weeks later...

I think you shouldn't be able to determine whether a cave is natural (if such exist in the game) or if it's hand made. And I like idea of kind of stealth modules for constructs that won't show your base/ship on scanners until someone comes really close to it. 

I like idea of underground bases and I was going to live exactly in that way, but it won't make sense if everyone else would be able to see it until they physically are pretty close to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

It would be cool to build underground. In minecraft pvp its a huge advantage to build underground, but eventually you get found.

the middleground I'd like is yea, there is a scanner that shows you all the caves and structure... but it is part of the thing we deploy to claim land. like an upgrade. youg et to know all about your spot, but you can't use it elsewhere.