Just want a assistent

Melich

This isn't a needed at all but I just really love the idea of being able to program some litle flying robot to follow you around. Helping you carry stuff, remind you of apointments, and write down importent conversations. Maybe even that you could leave it to another player when you go offline and they would to get a clear status rapport of on going prodjects.

Sure, the same info could be on a monitor on a drone or in a ship/base. I just like the idea of a little every day assistent x)

I already think on program some drones, like patrol drones, mining drones, carriers, repair drones or just cute pet robots ... 
To help me on my apace ship factory and also sell them to my customers
I love to program AI like automatons and watch them playing around  ^.^

But, besides there is no official position from developers, by reading trends and watching their presentations ...
it seems that they will not allow us take full freedom of creation when comes to script complex  ships functions
or crafting drones or robots.. 
But yes !  I'd love to have this possibility
I'm with you to make developers notice us!
\o/

I already think on program some drones, like patrol drones, mining drones, carriers, repair drones or just cute pet robots ...

To help me on my apace ship factory and also sell them to my customers

I love to program AI like automatons and watch them playing around ^.^

But, besides there is no official position from developers, by reading trends and watching their presentations ...

it seems that they will not allow us take full freedom of creation when comes to script complex ships functions

or crafting drones or robots..

But yes ! I'd love to have this possibility

I'm with you to make developers notice us!

\o/

Great! We can probably not have it all, sadly. So what do you think is the most importaint aspects?

I feel like a tool to help with administration would be really helpful but still love the cute robot thing :D

My idea is that the developers can allow a full programing language, with API that give us sensors and variables for us to use when programing our drones
that would make a nice upgrade to the game ideology of freedom of creativity and give lots of new market opportunities.

I think the point that developers are concern about is that if they allow us to have a decent program environment
the possibility of automate the gameplay itself and that the server become full of bots

But this can be prohibited with some simple rules like, all scripts that you make only work while the owner are on-line and close to the drone.
With this, you can have few mining drones helping you and flying around you, but once you log out, they stop working and become inert (and vulnerable)

A defense drone like an auto-turret-gun, could have just small amount of energy and if no one comes to manual operate it, fail minutes after the beginning of attack, leaving the place unprotected. 

A Guard drone can maybe send you a single message in-game (or to your cell phone if your base is under attack)
a helper drone, carrier, repair, body guard.... only work if are close to the owner 

Very small and single use exploration drones you can release when you find a new planet, that can map the surface looking for resources , but can't mine or do any thing else besides give you the location of interesting things, dangerous spots or enemies.

and so on, the developer team can think is rules that allow you to create your drones and automatons, but forbidden them to work like bots 

mining 24/7 or fighting for you while you are logged of..

like this we can have a very smart pet robot, or a swarm of small exploration drones to release when you land on an unexploded planet 
and make this game even better and fun to play 

^.^

They already implement a language in the game which is unique for this kind of scale. Let's just wait and see how this works out. Too much player freedom (programming wise) will just unbalance the game.

I personally don't like those ideas because it's against emergent gameplay and the actual need for people.

You want to map planets? Hire an explorer

You want your mining site guarded? Hire soldiers

You want help with mining? Hire someone

Yes I perfectly understand your intentions but you forget one MAJOR point here: this is a mmo and there should be people doing all this stuff, not robots. That only makes up for bad gameplay

This was talked about at GDC during the demo and Q&A section. They plan on implementing the ability to create robots that will follow you around but you will have to do most of the programming. After Alpha, possibly in Beta, they were talking about implementing short range access to drones so you don't have to walk back and forth from mining to the cargo drone but these will have to be modified and developed as much by the player as the devs

This was talked about at GDC during the demo and Q&A section. They plan on implementing the ability to create robots that will follow you around but you will have to do most of the programming. After Alpha, possibly in Beta, they were talking about implementing short range access to drones so you don't have to walk back and forth from mining to the cargo drone but these will have to be modified and developed as much by the player as the devs

Such robots are useful though and make up for annoying gameplay :P it really depends on what you do with them....And what you're allowed to do with them

A Guard drone can maybe send you a single message in-game (or to your cell phone if your base is under attack

DUDE! this should be a thing! Some way to tie my phone number to a sensor or to the territory unit so i get a text me when its under attack. I would pay for this! Take my money ;-;

Such robots are useful though and make up for annoying gameplay :P it really depends on what you do with them....And what you're allowed to do with them

There should a limit to what you can make drones do or else people are going to do ridiculous things with them

Nice news !

If the framework allow i'd love to program most creative and fun followers,  ^.^   also i'd love to have onboard my ships kind of auto pilot to control some functions while i travel to far places of the universe chatting and playing cards with my friends 

DUDE! this should be a thing! Some way to tie my phone number to a sensor or to the territory unit so i get a text me when its under attack. I would pay for this! Take my money ;-;

Don't worry ! if its possible i will program and sell it to you, also implement on my smart defense system

I personally don't like those ideas because it's against emergent gameplay and the actual need for people.

You want to map planets? Hire an explorer

You want your mining site guarded? Hire soldiers

You want help with mining? Hire someone

I understand your point, but robots are a very present character on Sci-Fi culture and will not only help in tasks but will make the world immersion more fun and alive.  

it all about individual play style !

I Love to look to may workshop and see a lot of floating and roller smart bots doing all sort of work. 

Other thing I don't trust to hire random players, bring them to the spot i fond to mine rare stuff... 

in other way 

You like to hire unknown players to help you. you will still can do it and have fun "like a boss" =P

its all about play style 

Nice news !

If the framework allow i'd love to program most creative and fun followers,  ^.^   also i'd love to have onboard my ships kind of auto pilot to control some functions while i travel to far places of the universe chatting and playing cards with my friends 

I believe this will be a limitation they implement or try to limit use of. There won't be a way to program things aboard your ship to do tasks the player should obviously be doing but I think you will be able to do a sort of "autopilot." Basically you can select a direction and it will fly straight in that direction. That will be a sort of autopilor but knowing the community, someone will code a hidden autopilot that uses key strokes or something to alter your courses

Yes I perfectly understand your intentions but you forget one MAJOR point here: this is a mmo and there should be people doing all this stuff, not robots. That only makes up for bad gameplay

So a robot that help with adminstrative work big companies need to do but noone really likes doing would it be fine by you?

You can probably make a small-ish drone and program it to follow you and only you. I wonder if you can program it to receive your PM's and upload them to a monitor fixed to it's front end....

It doesnt seem like we can do it atm but I really want it to happen.

If semi autonomous robots ever make it into the game I wouldnt expect them to do player tasks.

The lore is pretty clear on AI.

The lore also says that most complex human labour previously done by AI couldnt be done by machines with limited intelligence.

Beyond lore if you replace a human by a robot you diminish the game experience. As an example, many moons ago you couldnt get anything done in MMO's without other players. It made the games slower, more diffficult at times but it felt rewarding to finally find a group and progress. Sometimes you even made a friend. You developed an entire network of relations that would enrich your experience in the game.

Today you barely, if any, make friends in MMO's. You can play most of these games completely solo from start to finish. If you bother to add friends to your list chances are they are guildies.

Usually the world (if we can call it that) is just static scenery to feed the player menial tasks. All the while other players run around as silent npc's only interested in moving as fast as possible from A to B.

There are many things we can sum up here but the point is that somewhere on the curve towards minimal player interaction the game looses all sense of purpose or meaning. Its important to remember what the root vision of the MMO (RPG) genre was.

Connecting with people, living a virtual life in a virtual world. The less player interaction is required the more you drift away from that dream.

I could go on forever on this topic but the essence is; A robot in DU should never replace a human.

Don't worry ! if its possible i will program and sell it to you, also implement on my smart defense system

If it will be possible to make a drone follow a player around

Take notes for meetings

To be moved to follow another player when you go offline

And lastly the sms warningsystem to the offline player

Would you mind trying to work on it together/sell it to me? Feel like this is something that would help allot.

Nice news !

If the framework allow i'd love to program most creative and fun followers, ^.^ also i'd love to have onboard my ships kind of auto pilot to control some functions while i travel to far places of the universe chatting and playing cards with my friends

I understand your point, but robots are a very present character on Sci-Fi culture and will not only help in tasks but will make the world immersion more fun and alive.

it all about individual play style !

I Love to look to may workshop and see a lot of floating and roller smart bots doing all sort of work.

Other thing I don't trust to hire random players, bring them to the spot i fond to mine rare stuff...

in other way

You like to hire unknown players to help you. you will still can do it and have fun "like a boss" =P

its all about play style

Only because robots happen to be prevalent in sci-fi, doesn't mean it's a good idea to let players program some without restrictions. Let them do minor tasks, only small and limited things, but let players do the heavy lifting. Otherwise DU will be boring as hell.

I do not expect to see automated drones in DU. Remote drones possibly, but not fully automated ones. And if there are autonomous drones I expect they will be very limited in function. Though even these are a bit worrying. Why? Because everything built in DU is a construct. We see ship, hovercraft, building, drone. The game only sees constructs. Anything you can tell your "drone" to do can also be placed on a hovercraft/ship. An automated battle/mining fleet is exactly what NQ do not want. Why? Because marginalizing players is not the point of the game.