When will the ToS to ban dual boxers be added?

StoneLegionYT

The problem with Multi-boxing on a subscription MMO is, you guessed it, the money.

You would need to give your alts a DAC/Subscription as well, plus you would have very delayed response times manually switching, leaving everything else vulnerable.

(Quote: "You're all my alts, therefore I am always multi-boxing." -Halo381)

The problem with Multi-boxing on a subscription MMO is, you guessed it, the money.

You would need to give your alts a DAC/Subscription as well, plus you would have very delayed response times manually switching, leaving everything else vulnerable.

(*insert Cybrex joke here*)

"You're all my alts, therefore I am always multi-boxing."

-Cybrex

(Quote: "You're all my alts, therefore I am always multi-boxing." -Halo381)

Money is no problem, especially later on when you can pay with in-game money for your sub...and there are programs to handle delay and simultaneous actions in multiple instances on different monitors.

But I don't think it'll be a thing in DU. I hope they ban multiboxing (not necessarily the same as multi-accs)

People are worried about multi-boxing, but I don't think it is really an issue in a game like Dual Universe. To be specific: Multi-boxing refers to having two or more characters logged into the game at the same time, not having multiple characters/accounts in general. 

Multi-boxing gives people an advantage in EVE because most things in EVE are "timer based" in the sense that you don't really have to do much to keep things going. One person can run a fleet of 20 mining accounts all by them selves because they don't really have to do anything with each account other than tell them what to aim their mining lasers at. Likewise with combat, a person dual-boxing L4s can just have their support ship drop drones or cap-tanked so they don't really have to touch it. In DU, neither of those things will be possible because both mining and combat require active player input in order to work. There are only really two reasons I can thing of in order to multi-box: monitoring multiple markets or possibly scanning (maybe, and that may not be beneficial depending on the exact nature of scanning mechanics). Neither of those give an unfair advantage to the multi-boxer.

It is important to note that botting should definitely be banned. If a person is running multiple accounts at the same time (for whatever reason) they should have to control them all by hand and individually. That alone should get rid of any issues pertaining to multi-boxing. 

Just handle it the same way Eve handles it.

Are you running multiple accounts? 

Is the input to each of those accounts being done manually? Great, then nothing is wrong with it.

Is the input to each account being handled by botting software? Bad, that should be against the rules.

If I'm running two computers side by side with two keyboards and two mice, I should be allowed to do that because it's not like I'll be getting any benefits out of doing it other than being in multiple places at once. 

Before, in Eve, they didn't have specific rules about how people were allowed to multi-box, which led to the proliferation of bots everywhere. Just get ahead of the curve and ban botting.

I have two accounts, I paid for both of them, I should be allowed to play them on separate computers at the same time so long as I am manually doing input as opposed to macroing user-input away. 

This Multi-Box subject is interesting to me, I am one of those who like to play multi-box (depending of the game style, idk how will be here)
I use to play 8 boxes at Lineage2, with no bot software, only with in game macros and 3 monitors i use to play one 1080p screen and others 400p, my alt monitors interface was like when you look to a security camera screen. My alts were just there for bufs and storage.

in DU, since its a subscription game, most of players (including me) will never think on Dual-Box, but analyzing this matter
leads me to a question i think we will have to wait for the alphas maybe the betas to discover,  How automation mechanics will work on DU !?!

I sound weird create 10 alts to operate the enterprise if i am a solo player. But i want to be possible for me to create a ship  like Almt. Pike's battle ship, there was a war clone of enterprise but manufactured to be operated with few, until one solo captain.

I think it must be possible for us to create and script a ship to be operate by solo players !

and about other automation process, can i create my industry as production line, many machines processing the minerals and refining and then replicate my creations via blueprint, all this as autonomous machines, working while i'm off game or in game but testing a ship or trading etc .....

I also want to be able to script my turrets to shot at any intruder that transpass my base  perimeter, or fight drones  to patrol and repel any possible attack
At my first time reading the dev blog, it seems that DU will be a great game fo those who like to craft, since its a voxel game and we can script the behaivour for equipments we create just depending only on how good you are on programing or setup...

sooo it would be nice if the game provides os an strong programing language so we can script all sort of tools. to automate my production line, defenses and ships

I think it must be possible for us to create and script a ship to be operate by solo players !

and about other automation process, can i create my industry as production line, many machines processing the minerals and refining and then replicate my creations via blueprint, all this as autonomous machines, working while i'm off game

to automate my production line, defenses and ships

Flying a solo ship solo, possible.

Flying and efficiently operating a multi crew ship, highly unlikely.

Automating entire production lines with no player input, sounds highly improbable in the vision of DU.

Automating factories while you are offline, not going to happen. LUA scripts will stop working when you log of. Unless you share them with someone you trust who is near the element running when you are too far or offline.

Automating base or ship defenses when you are away, maybe.

The core vision of DU is a player generated universe. While some scripting is part of that vision it wont be taken so far that you can remove the human element completely. JC said that player interaction is very important to him.

You can do all those things in game but it will require either multiple accounts or other people helping you.

To add something to what Falstaf said:

At gdc they said that each turret on a ship requires one player to shoot. So you would be able to fly it, but you certainly can't use it effectively. As this would be against both M in the term "MMOG"

Well, the arguement can be made that cockpits on a starfighters may be able to control a turret as well, or at least, to have a fixed gun in front of themm their nose, cause a star-fighter is not a star-fighter if two people have to control it :P

Well, the arguement can be made that cockpits on a starfighters may be able to control a turret as well, or at least, to have a fixed gun in front of themm their nose, cause a star-fighter is not a star-fighter if two people have to control it :P

Well there will be turrets as in "someone needs to sit in there" and turrets/guns as in "you can control that from the cockpit, because it's a small forward gun only" :P

Well there will be turrets as in "someone needs to sit in there" and turrets/guns as in "you can control that from the cockpit, because it's a small forward gun only" :P

That's what I'm talking about. I mean, bombers are another thing, bombers need crew, but fighters are single-seater craft. Kinda defeats the purpose of them if they need to be multi-crew :P But yeah, nose-guns for the win.

The only reason I multiboxed in Eve with 2 accounts is for scouting ahead when traveling, and to jump my capital ships since you had to jump to another player.

Well, that's the problem with EVE though. That's what leads to the statistics of on average an EVE player has 5.5 accounts.  EVE's devs claim they have 500000 pllayers, in reality, I question if it's even 50000 players playing EVE. And the multiboxing is one of those thigns that drives people way.

When you can have 10 Dominixes, that slave their Sentry Drones to one frigate jacked up for maximum lock-speed at a gate, and the moment someone enters through the game, it's instalock lock, scram and "BOOM podded", the game becomes all about "who got the most alts".

I guess nobody wants THAT in DU - not even the Devs, given how much thought has gone into making the game as less passive as possible.

Yeah people are going to multi box regardless so banning people for giving the Dev more money isn't really a smart idea. What they can and likely will do though is make the game in such a way that it doesn't make that way the best way or just more rewarding to play that way.

given how much thought has gone into making the game as less passive as possible.

Is the input to each of those accounts being done manually? Great, then nothing is wrong with it.

If I'm running two computers side by side with two keyboards and two mice, I should be allowed to do that because it's not like I'll be getting any benefits out of doing it other than being in multiple places at once. 

I have two accounts, I paid for both of them, I should be allowed to play them on separate computers at the same time so long as I am manually doing input as opposed to macroing user-input away. 

If this is the case then I'd be a bit concerned... People who "multibox" or run two separate accounts at the same time can do two different things at once. Sure they wouldn't be controlling both at the same time since each requires manual input, but what worries me the most here is the distance that might be between the two.

Say one avatar is out mining ore while the second is on the other side of the galaxy manning a turret of a warship. Yeah looking through the crosshairs into empty space is boring, and the mining fulfils that boredom, but now you're doing two things that I as a player with one avatar can't do. Either I can man the guns, or fire the lasers. if both of your avatars are working towards a goal they share, then I'd see that as an unfair advantage since your two players avatars are just me split in two.

I don't recall anything specific, but honestly, imho, one person would control only a singular avatar at a time, no switching between two or more. At what point do I wonder that this would become something akin to (dare I say) "pay to win/do more" since one human is acting behind two avatars? Maybe it's just the gaming environment that I come from, but this is something I really don't feel is right.

If this is the case then I'd be a bit concerned... People who "multibox" or run two separate accounts at the same time can do two different things at once. Sure they wouldn't be controlling both at the same time since each requires manual input, but what worries me the most here is the distance that might be between the two.

Say one avatar is out mining ore while the second is on the other side of the galaxy manning a turret of a warship. Yeah looking through the crosshairs into empty space is boring, and the mining fulfils that boredom, but now you're doing two things that I as a player with one avatar can't do. Either I can man the guns, or fire the lasers. if both of your avatars are working towards a goal they share, then I'd see that as an unfair advantage since your two players avatars are just me split in two.

I don't recall anything specific, but honestly, imho, one person would control only a singular avatar at a time, no switching between two or more. At what point do I wonder that this would become something akin to (dare I say) "pay to win/do more" since one human is acting behind two avatars? Maybe it's just the gaming environment that I come from, but this is something I really don't feel is right.

What you described is the opposite of EVEs alt accs. In EVE you have a real advantage in fights and in getting money (PI-alts, Skill injector alts, PVE,...).

In your example you only have one advantage: getting more ingame money more easily. Depending on the mechanics (no automatic mining - you have to click every few seconds or something) this advantage is only real, if your other account has nothing to do at all (like sitting in a turret). As soon as your attention is needed, you can't mine and thus don't earn money. Depending on THOSE mechanics (CVC,AVA) and on different aspects like ship crew command structure, communication and so on, you may not even have time to mine with your alt at all.

So it's only a decision between

- That user pays for 2 accounts (either with DAC or with sub - more money for NQ) to have a small advantage in gathering ingame money at certain times

- Ban multiaccs completely. That would ofc reduce emergent gameplay too (it's easier to infiltrate an org with a whole new account than with one of the three from your main - skill training times!)

I don't mind if people have two or more accounts in DU (as long as they aren't botting and using one at a time). If they want to invest more money in DU to get a benefit - go ahead.

I think it's unfair to force people into a single role at a time. If I want to roleplay as a bartender in some hole in the wall restaurant floating on an asteroid in deep space, while also playing a character as a miner on some other far reach of the solar system, then I should be allowed to do that. 

To artificially limit us and say "you can only be one person in this game, you can only have one persona ever", that seems entirely too limiting in a game the size of Dual Universe. 

It's not like anyone is going to be able to realistically sit there and play two accounts simultaneously.

Another example is, if I want to put a character up on the Arkship watching over the surrounding area so that I can broadcast the view as a stream to twitch (Alioth Cam? similar to the Jita Cam on Twitch...), why should I not be allowed to also have another character on another computer actually playing the game doing something else?