What Should DU Citizens Be Called

AccuNut

What Should DU Citizens Be Called  

94 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is a good name for DU Citizens as a collective group?

• Just "Citizens" is fine.
    • Colonists
    • Novarkians (based on the arkship's name, "Novark".)
    • Novarkites
    • Novarkers
    • Something cool that isn't on the list. (Explain below.)
    • Arkers
    • Arkians
    • Dualeers

This is quite simple.

Those who were alive pre-leaving would refer to themselves by the identifier they previously used. Terran, Martian, Belter, Titan.

Those who are born on Alioth, or are so "native" as to having lost all previous connection - Aliothan (or Aliothi) would be appropriate.

Arkers, Novarkers etc etc would not likely be used since most people were on them less than a day or two really, in terms of "awake" time - mentally, most would likely feel the Ark was a bit like 'a very short bus trip where you fall asleep and have a vivid dream before being waken before you are ready because we're at your stop.'

HOWEVER - there is little chance that the countries which exist now would exist then, and a range of new "countries" would exist in some places, and have been dissolved in most, replaced with single world governments, or corporate powers. It's why I call my character an Terran (where I live) Anzaki (my cultural/genetic stock), not an Australian, and he politically is an Aetherean (as opposed to an Etherean, Alpha etc).

A more salient question would be "what are the countries of the world when we leave", or "what does a UMF'er call themselves", or "what languages are still spoken (and thus - what cultures still exist).

You make some good points Anonymous, however, I am looking for ideas about how the actual players on the other end of the internet would like to be referenced, be it here in the forums or in general conversation elsewhere. This does not necessarily have anything to do with the history of their character in the game.

You are absolutely correct, though. There will be various ways that people will refer to their characters, and the intricacies of each one's history may cause them to be recognized as a part of many groups, as you described.

A more salient question would be "what are the countries of the world when we leave", or "what does a UMF'er call themselves", or "what languages are still spoken (and thus - what cultures still exist).

Well, in the lore we can find have some answer to your questions:

-The worlds seems to be almost the same in terms of countries, only the fact that the UMF buildings are over the world.

-The UMF seems to be called representatives

-And copy-pasted : "By the end of the 22nd century, almost everyone was speaking at least two languages: the global language (the “common”) and their local native language, each city-state having somehow evolved a variant from their original country’s language."

Hope I have solved some of your questions.

To OP, I prefer the term Earthling in the way we are like aliens to Alioth...

Well met Nadie :)

I personally am well aware of that in the Lore but find people tire of me pointing out stuff like that. /shrug. So to clarify - which city-states rose and dominated, in that sense. I have a personal and professional interest in spending time working that sort of fine detail no one ever sees but it's not always shared :P

It would seem we misundertood the OP however.

And in that context - yeah - just Players is fine. We don't need a label for each other beyond that, and externally it just makes us sound cultish, like EvEers or WoWers or any other social media tribe. In my mind - if DU us teh awesome, we don't need to label ourselves - only everyone else as we are the "normal" in terms of relative comparisons.

(And I may have spent too much of today buried in semantic modelling so also feel free to ignore me :) )

"

Ha! 

"Darn noobs..."---Jamius, Frozen in Time. 

I loved the name: "Duals" rather than "Dualeers" (which sounds excessively forced  in my opinion). 

Pioneers - taken. 

Capsuleers - taken. 

Passengers - taken. 

Arkians --- It sounds remarkably like Arcadians...I can't remember where I heard that from. 

Arkers - We carry Arks...or make them...No offense. 

Novarkites - Is the best of the "Nova" names to me. Novarkers and Novarkians sound too superfluous. To keep it simple, Novarks would have done, where it not for the fact that the name seems to imply that there were plenty more Novarks than one. The name represents the plural form in my opinion. 

In conclusion, "Novarkites" and "Duals" are my best choices, though from the looks of it, the former is not a popular option. 

Cheers.

"

Thanks for the input Aetherios!

I had originally considered putting "Duals" on the list, along with "Dualers", but decided against it because those words sound virtually identical to "Duels" and "Duelers" both of which produce a very different picture than what is intended.

I am glad there was something else on the list you liked though! :)

Thanks for the input Aetherios!

I had originally considered putting "Duals" on the list, along with "Dualers", but decided against it because those words sound virtually identical to "Duels" and "Duelers" both of which produce a very different picture than what is intended.

I am glad there was something else on the list you liked though! :)

Why not Duet?

A pure synchronization/harmonization from that weird "Dual" dimension and the real dimension.

"Duals" is the only one I would vaguely be interested in using.

"Aliothians" because everyone is reborn on Alioth (sometimes more than once).  This once is cute because when the next arkship is found, it will be on a planet with a different name and people can be named after that planet.  But this name is not very unifying.  So "Duals" gets my vote until something better comes along.

I think "Citizens" should be fine since, I have a feeling lots of organizations will have that as there starting role.

I disagree, too similar to Star Citizen ^^

Colonist or frontiersmen has a better ring to it... as civilization is more disheveled than in similar games ^^

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like "Arkers" and "Colonists" are in the lead at the moment. Anyone else want to chime in and cast their votes?

The goal is to get 100 votes, but let's see if we can get at least 50. At the time of this post 47 members have voted, so only 3 more to go!

"Arker" almost sounds like a hardcore drug addict on some drug called "Ark".

At least that is what it could also sound like.

But then again, should this game become very good, it would be like a drug for many.

Its true that arkers is less generic.

I do see what Warden says as a good point.

Though its just a fact of life that what ever gets picked there will always be critics. Even if NQ came out tomorrow with something really cool.

Accunut, how about you make a new thread but this time only 2 choices.

Arkers or Colonists, like a final round.

Just an idea. :)

Its true that arkers is less generic.

I do see what Warden says as a good point.

Though its just a fact of life that what ever gets picked there will always be critics. Even if NQ came out tomorrow with something really cool.

Accunut, how about you make a new thread but this time only 2 choices.

Arkers or Colonists, like a final round.

Just an idea. :)

No.

NQ already decided on it. I really don't like threads being spammed.

No.

NQ already decided on it. I really don't like threads being spammed.

Hmm, what did they decide on? >.>

You see, in EVE, the player character is a Capsuleer, but people call the player character a Pilot. I believe that's the debate here, the "pilot" part.

Hmm, what did they decide on? >.>

You see, in EVE, the player character is a Capsuleer, but people call the player chracters a Pilot. I belioeve that's the debate here, the "pilot" part.

Ohhh. That makes sense.

My bad.