February developer update video

Hotwingz

Hello citizens (we really need to come up with an all inclusive word for us Dual Universe players)

The new dev video was just released and what a video it was. Everything from art to graphics to building tools is improving each month. I dont want too gush too much but didnt it look awesome?

As expected the Alpha wont be ready just yet. Delays are to be expected and I'm not really bothered by it.

What do you think of the video update?

Excited, disappointed?

Any easter eggs we miss?

Hello citizens (we really need to come up with an all inclusive word for us Dual Universe players).

Well, we could use the Arkship's name, (which was Novark, if I remember correctly,) and be called "Novarkians", "Novarkites", or "Novarkers".

But honestly, none of those appeal to me.

What about the galaxy name? Does anyone remember what that was?

You know what... I think I will start a thread on this, it is a pretty important subject!

Anyway, the delay is a good thing because it means that the first time it is released to the (select) public, both via backing the game and online video, it will have a higher quality. This higher quality upon first impression will increase the chances of making DU get off the ground once it fully releases. It is also the same effect where by having an early access game more complete before it enters early access, it generally does better than those which are less complete.

This higher quality upon first impression will increase the chances of making DU get off the ground once it fully releases.

Thats true but I also feel that if NQ pulls of the original pitch at release it would build on that.

Non backers dont hate the game. Most of them just dont believe NQ. For all sorts of reasons I dont want to go into right now.

Would it be wrong to think there is a huge market potential for a game like DU?

Arksons (Sons of the Ark)

Politics aside, sons isnt ideal.

It doesnt include women for example.

Thrilled to see the features that they showed off, I like the look of the new models so far!

I'm really not surprised at all about the delay, they are being very straightforward about it rather than just stringing us along with SOON^tm. I'm not expecting a super polished game in alpha, but it does seem like what we will see in September is less of an alpha and more like a greenlight release.

The fact that they are trying to get a significant amount of actual gameplay in the alpha rather than just creating a sandbox for building and flying ships is actually huge, bigger than I expected. What I expected the alpha to look like was "here are some building tools and material skins, have fun!" but it sounds like we get to taste some of the player progression and harvesting/processing materials as well. SWEET ACTION.

Likely to up to Ruby soon

Also I too am excited that they are putting more into Alpha! This means that (hopefully) they will include more in Beta as well, which means more content at release!

I am sure it will be well worth the wait!

Well, we could use the Arkship's name, (which was Novark, if I remember correctly,) and be called "Novarkians", "Novarkites", or "Novarkers".

But honestly, none of those appeal to me.

What about the galaxy name? Does anyone remember what that was?

You know what... I think I will start a thread on this, it is a pretty important subject!

Novarkians sounds best out of those three but i don't have a problem with Colonist either.

Thanks for the input Zamarus! I am trying to move this conversation to a thread I started on the subject so as not to clutter this one up too much, so if you would like to see what others are suggesting you will find that at this link: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10927-what-should-du-citizens-be-called/

Likely to up to Ruby soon

Completely agree.

This game is coming along nicely. And they're not blowing smoke up our ass.

I really enjoy these video diaries, but I would like to also see a devblog update every once and a while. Maybe some more info on RDMS, or possibly a current list of elements with their basic inputs, functions, and returns.

At this point, wouldn't it be Colonists?C

Colonist sounds like a terrible demonym. "I ganked a guy and we destroyed that Colonist". "We shot that guy so many times, we pretty much opened him a new Colonist".

See? 

Just call the toons Arkers. FutureSpace Lingo is FutureSpace.

Colonist sounds like a terrible demonym. "I ganked a guy and we destroyed that Colonist". "We shot that guy so many times, we pretty much opened him a new Colonist".

See? 

Just call the toons Arkers. FutureSpace Lingo is FutureSpace.

WANTED: Twerk, the Universes most notorious Arker.

Arkers is also good.

Quite neutral and applies to everyone.

I would also like a dev blog that goes deeper into the different kind of elements. How they connect up and interact with other elements. Beyond the obvious this is an engine, it pushes constructs forward.

Still I'd be happy with pretty much anything.

I definitely agree that the delay is nothing surprising and nothing to worry about. They are very straight forward and honest about it. A small delay like this says: "We care about the game and want to make sure it is of a quality that we can be proud of, even though it is an Alpha."

Based on everything, I'd say it is likely that there will be a bit of everything in the Alpha, although obviously not in it's final form. 

I am fine with these delays. We would have gotten bored very quickly if all we had was building and flying. So I am glad they decided to add a bit more before alpha release. Also a delay was expected so I had time to get over it.

I am just happy they told use before July first. (Which would be the expected alpha release date if they did not say otherwise)

July first is my birthday so that really would have sucked for me if they waited till then to tell use.

Loved the video, good in dos there (liked the smooth, curved vowels of ships most) and it's good that jc mentions alpha and the delay. I honestly expected something like this so I'm not too disappointed and I completely agree with an old saying: better late and more polished than buggy and unfinished (as people are stupid and will call DU all kinds of stuff because it's unfinished and alpha which they don't get)

I think Arker is the best demonym, colonist or pilot are to loaded with meaning and assumptions to be useful.

As much as I am disappointed about having to wait I think it's probably a good thing that they are feeling comfortable enough to take the time and get a better version going into alpha. Consider the opposite situation, if they felt like they had to rush and get something else that would be terrible for the game.

Between this, R&M and my holiday in April all I seem to be doing right now is waiting for cool stuff to happen.

Would R&M be Rick and Morty?

I googled R&M, a lot of hits on R&M.

Its nice to see everyone so mellow about the delay. I would enjoy a rough mining and building alpha but if they want to put in a little more thats also good.

To me that means they want to test/get feedback on systems that are a tad more complicated.