Traveling City

Caprikel

That's how an MMO with a majority male players goes xD

How do you know the majority is male? Did you do a poll? I did not see one. Are you spying on all of use? I'M LEGITLY CONCERNED ABOUT THIS!!!

Or are you just assuming?

I didn't even think about the potential protection that would be provided by all the people on board. If there's even just 50 people who have battle ready ships, or there are plenty of battle-ready ships made for this purpose, then all that is needed is plenty of people to man these ships. I'm sure any traveling merchant will be willing to help defend against the pirates when they have many of their goods on the ship, and so the number of people would make the city-ship well protected.

If the amount of people were online at one time. You could have a traveling army. Imagine a ship that only houses loads of small fighters. It can carry 100 people and ships inside so when you need to go into a war, you open the doors and 100 fighters come flying out. That would look epic

• 2 weeks later...

What's this about pirate booty. Do any of you consider the following? A pirate clan that has one central flying Tortuga from which they can send out raiding parties. A Military HQ that moves and so can't be easily located by enemy forces. 

If you want to talk about funding such places, I guess pirates are self explanatory. Military HQ's are really a late game development by large corporations who've set up in game governments. I can think of a few organisations right now that could eventually get something like that going. Not naming names like Terran Union...

No diss towards TU, but expect some resistance from other corps if you're grabbing monopoly over the safe zone of the Ark.

As jc mentioned there will be some sort of fee to use tiles in the ark zone to prevent people from taking and not using them. Also, there are way more than 1000 tiles there and a TCU is expensive - no way to get all that tiles for yourself

Fair enough, it will be evenly expensive for everyone, though. 

Ah well, it all revolves around organisation. How wel a group is organised will result in a steady increase of success, to an extend regardless of numbers opposite of said group. But lets not go down the rabbit hole that is Sun Tzu's art of war xD.

What's this about pirate booty. Do any of you consider the following? A pirate clan that has one central flying Tortuga from which they can send out raiding parties. A Military HQ that moves and so can't be easily located by enemy forces. 

If you want to talk about funding such places, I guess pirates are self explanatory. Military HQ's are really a late game development by large corporations who've set up in game governments. I can think of a few organisations right now that could eventually get something like that going. Not naming names like Terran Union...

No diss towards TU, but expect some resistance from other corps if you're grabbing monopoly over the safe zone of the Ark.

The two main uses for these large ships will, as you said, possibly Pirate cities and Military HQs but these ships are going to be unbelievably expensive. The amount of resources and time it will take to build these will be incredibly high. The first ones won't be seen until 1.5-2 years after launch, if not longer. After talking with JC, he mentioned how long it will take to gather the resources and build the ships in-game. The large ship in space you see in the trailers wasn't even built in game. It was designed and imported because it would have taken them months to build even with "God" mode active.

It will be awesome when we do start seeing these because they will be central locations for many different things, but don't expect them anytime soon.

You'd be surprised. I bet we've got one by the end of the first year. Don't underestimate zealous labor of gamers vs a team of developers who have a day job. We've both seen what happened in Minecraft.

I actually agree here, there will be hardcore players that progress way faster through grinding the time needed faster than the average player.

I actually agree here, there will be hardcore players that progress way faster through grinding the time needed faster than the average player.

That is very true but you'll need a lot of people to get the raw materials just for building the shell/hull of such a thing.

Not to mention designing the construct and the entire infrastructure to support the actual building. If your entire org is focused on 1 mega project the members participating wont be earning any "real" money until completion.

Possible but very improbable.

That is very true but you'll need a lot of people to get the raw materials just for building the shell/hull of such a thing.

Not to mention designing the construct and the entire infrastructure to support the actual building. If your entire org is focused on 1 mega project the members participating wont be earning any "real" money until completion.

Possible but very improbable.

Aye, but there will always be that one group of people who pull it off.

Ah! And there we have it. Is the in game currency exclusively required to achieve anything in the game? If it's not, then it's a matter of mining > refining > transport > construction. Any excess material mined and refined can be sold for income to finance external work forces or create a reward-system for members of your clan. (EDIT: this is quite similar to older civ's, cultures predating currency)

Also, consider size. Relative size of a city for a population of a few hundred is different from a few thousand. Do you consider something like Dalaran from World of Warcraft a city? Or would you lean more towards Baldur's Gate size?

Well no you dont need money at all if your org can support every facet of the project. And there would never be a surplus in goods. Remember you would also need to get everything up there....

The cost/time of the project would be astronomical, pun intended. You would be building/assembling/mining at all times.

I would love to see it but I think its very improbable to see it any time soon.

Size is indeed relative but even a simple station just big enough to be visible in the athmosphere like in the videos would be a daunting task.

-thinks for a moment- ohhhhhh, a traveling city... in space! Yeah that's gonna be improbable, we're on the same page there :D. Check! Sorry, I was aiming at the concept of a floating city hovering above the ground moving from area to area on the planet. 

I knew there was some sort of miscommunication between us, wasn't sure where.

-thinks for a moment- ohhhhhh, a traveling city... in space! Yeah that's gonna be improbable, we're on the same page there :D. Check! Sorry, I was aiming at the concept of a floating city hovering above the ground moving from area to area on the planet.

I knew there was some sort of miscommunication between us, wasn't sure where.

Haha no problem man. ;)

I'll be a tourist taking pictures either way.

Aye, but there will always be that one group of people who pull it off.

There will also always be people who want to watch it burn. But I hope somebody pulls it off...  SO I CAN WATCH IT BURN!!!!!

There will also always be people who want to watch it burn. But I hope somebody pulls it off...  SO I CAN WATCH IT BURN!!!!!

Depending on which Org builds it and what it is used for it will either be built and become a Giant Target or will be a HUB for ideas, creativity and production. If it isn't used for war and is just a city, I hope people won't destroy it because it will basically become a landmark for when new people join as well as when we all look back on it 5 years from launch