Food and Crops

One os the most important things when think of a new planet colony, is how to grow food and

maintain sustainability.

I'd like to suggest (or know if there's already) a system for planting and glow crops.
Machines to automate the farms and different stats for different conditions.

This food can be essential for maintain the players life and  also modify ones stats making the character more health and powerful, or versatile. 

A food system could bring a lots of market possibilities, food recipes, etc etc ....

so ... what you ppl think ?

Aha...it's funny that this should be brought up. I remember such a topic thread from long ago in the early days of Dual Universe. Indeed, it was one of the hotly debated issues of the time.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/723-food-and-water

There it is ^ Lots of good information and points made there :)

I wouldn't mind a farming expansion in DU at some point, as long as players are not forced to engage in farming. Farming is a common game mechanic that a lot of people like (Stardew Valley, Farming Simulator) and it would add some more depth to the game, especially if crops are needed for other things besides food, like high tech level building materials.

There are a lot of other things that would be higher on my wish list, like the stargates, water features, and wheeled vehicles.

I personally like the idea of agricultural content in Dual Universe. In a game in which pretty much a bit of everything is possible, farming seems to be one of the few holes I can think of. 

What players understandably don't like about this is that it's usually a survival aspect, which would be rather bothersome in DU. While food may be limited to granting buffs with the absence of survival like aspects, I could imagine crops solely for industrial purposes better. 

For example in growing plants like Flax for textiles, Mastix for wax, rubber or sap as a base for plastics, perhaps even just corn for bio mass to create energy or fuels or as a source to extract proteins from, further different herbs for medical purposes and so on. 
There are a lot more possibilities for crops and farming than just for food, and introducing this to a game that conveys a feeling of being able to do everything would further underline this.

I personally like the idea of agricultural content in Dual Universe. In a game in which pretty much a bit of everything is possible, farming seems to be one of the few holes I can think of. 

What players understandably don't like about this is that it's usually a survival aspect, which would be rather bothersome in DU. While food may be limited to granting buffs with the absence of survival like aspects, I could imagine crops solely for industrial purposes better. 

For example in growing plants like Flax for textiles, Mastix for wax, rubber or sap as a base for plastics, perhaps even just corn for bio mass to create energy or fuels or as a source to extract proteins from, further different herbs for medical purposes and so on. 

There are a lot more possibilities for crops and farming than just for food, and introducing this to a game that conveys a feeling of being able to do everything would further underline this.

I concur, while I would love agricultural aspect in DU I wouldn't want it to be survival based but rather crops to be used in different matter like fuel as you have suggested, it would bring another interesting play aspect to the game. 

I agree with this idea. I hate ark because for the first few hours all your doing is grabbing berry's non stop to try and stay alive. Also one of the devs said that the ps4 pro is as powerful as a 800 dollar PC.

Aha...it's funny that this should be brought up. I remember such a topic thread from long ago in the early days of Dual Universe. Indeed, it was one of the hotly debated issues of the time.

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/723-food-and-water

There it is ^ Lots of good information and points made there :)

Oh yea back when DariusSangunas was still active. I have not seen him in weeks.

I miss Darius :/ but I feel like he is still here, probably just waiting for alpha to come out. 

Anyways, this topic has come a few times and was one of the questions asked at the GDC meet up. I think it's pretty certain that there won't be any agriculture in the game to start. But I would love to see it added eventually, mostly for the industrial applications.

I miss Darius :/ but I feel like he is still here, probably just waiting for alpha to come out. 

Anyways, this topic has come a few times and was one of the questions asked at the GDC meet up. I think it's pretty certain that there won't be any agriculture in the game to start. But I would love to see it added eventually, mostly for the industrial applications.

Oh yea, it was.

Will players ever need food?

The question of food is linked to survival gameplay. There probably will not be survival gameplay at the beginning, because it requires so much work to be functional, but it is something that has the potential to be added later.

Copied from https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10881-the-february-28th-qa-with-jc/

Edit: lol, I just realized my posts have tripled in 2 days.

As I've said before, It is true that most sandbox games are also survival games. This is a sandbox game, but it is an MMO rather than a survival game.

Needing food for a colony to survive would indeed be a good feature... for a survival game, but this isn't that, it is an off-genre mechanic here. There will be plenty of things you'll need to set up a colony on a planet within the current projected features of the game.

Things we already know of...

-Territory Unit (supposedly resource intensive)

-Containers

-Market Units

-Communication Arrays (possibly)

-Space for vehicle construction

-Parking

-Defensive implements/fortifications

That list seems like enough of a challenge as it is for an MMO. We don't need to be adding food/water/farmland and shelter from weather and temperature there. The main threat in this game will likely be other players rather than the environment.

This is a sandbox game, but it is an MMO rather than a survival game.

I agree 

About survivability, immersion and market 
Since its not a survival game and is based on a very well plained colonization process, they already have the basic food and life support.

I think players don't have to need food for survive, in terms of been feed it could be considered that all players eat when they want, 
not needing this to be add as a game mechanic, since you have access to food of any type we consider you are feed
(Like go to WC, have you ever see a game character take out his armor and run to bathroom from time to time? )

For me food and crops can be an extra, not an obligation.  
wile you are exploring and mining you may find rare (or not) plants with seeds you can plant and grow. 
some recipes made by the food can be used as buffs (like in ESO (but better developed))

eat certain food may improve your health, regeneration, speed, concentration (improving your ship flight), memory (giving bonus on lv skills)
some vegetable oil can be refined as fuel, or used as catalyst on rare materials refining process ( by improving or changing its stats , not prohibiting the refine process for those who don't have it)

also can be used to make weapons like poison gas, paralysis gel and so on... 

Food and crops can have a nice place on the sand box and crafting game mechanics, (even when its not needed to survive.)

I agree 

About survivability, immersion and market 

Since its not a survival game and is based on a very well plained colonization process, they already have the basic food and life support.

I think players don't have to need food for survive, in terms of been feed it could be considered that all players eat when they want, 

not needing this to be add as a game mechanic, since you have access to food of any type we consider you are feed
(Like go to WC, have you ever see a game character take out his armor and run to bathroom from time to time? )

For me food and crops can be an extra, not an obligation.  

wile you are exploring and mining you may find rare (or not) plants with seeds you can plant and grow. 

some recipes made by the food can be used as buffs (like in ESO (but better developed))

eat certain food may improve your health, regeneration, speed, concentration (improving your ship flight), memory (giving bonus on lv skills)

some vegetable oil can be refined as fuel, or used as catalyst on rare materials refining process ( by improving or changing its stats , not prohibiting the refine process for those who don't have it)

also can be used to make weapons like poison gas, paralysis gel and so on... 

Food and crops can have a nice place on the sand box and crafting game mechanics, (even when its not needed to survive.)

That's possible, and the devs did want to make it clear that they didn't want players would need to re-supply in some fashion in-between trips. However they could acheive what you suggest with consumables that are not a famed crop that would be more in-line with scifi-theme (like drugs made from alge, or vitamins from ice deposits on asteroids, etc).

• 4 years later...

How about we link it into a buff system instead? Different foods, different buffs, maybe like a 5% buff here and there, and the most complex foods giving multiple buffs.

There's also the aspect of mass production for containers to put food in now as well.

Bobby just made X candy apples that increase movement by +5% and tracking by +5%, but the food spoils fast due to not being package.

Ben makes an f'ing ton of plastic and Bobby request Y number of generic containers. Of course, you could expand on this, and make it something that only grows on certain worlds and it's traded as a comodity with the different stations OR even link it into the Aphelia missions as well.

Doesn't HAVE to be all about survivial >:3

• 2 weeks later...