Headsets

Hades

My "gaming" Turtle Beach PX22 headset has finally died, and I'm relieved.  Which means I am finally in the market for a new gaming headset, once again.  Well, preferably a non-gaming headset that works well in games.  It seems like non-gaming headsets can reach a much higher quality soundstage in comparison to similarly priced gaming headsets.

Currently I have been looking at the AKG 7xx, AKG 545, AKG 535 Pro, and the ATH m50x.  The AKG 7xx seemed like a phenomenal choice, however, I also realize that open headsets probably bleed a lot of noise.  Which is why I'm tempted to go with the AKG 545 (for the detachable cord), the AKG 535 Pro (slightly better sound), or the ATH m50x (for better quality build).  I'm leaning towards the m50x at the moment, but reviews have stated the soundstage isn't as good as other similarly priced headsets... but none of them seem to elaborate on this comment.  

Another option was the AKG m220, but that would also probably have leakage issues.  (Only $50 for the next 10 or so hours though!).

Anywho, if anyone has some good recommendations... I would love to hear them!

Of course, haha.  I actually already have a cheap mic, it works decently well.  Don't think I will be purchasing a new one, but if it ever goes out I will keep that one in mind!  It's definitely a lot bigger than the one I have now.

I'm now leaning towards the K7xx again, I will probably just use a different (cheaper, closed) headset when I'm around others.  Or I just might not care :D.  Okay, I'm not that evil :/

My "gaming" Turtle Beach PX22 headset has finally died, and I'm relieved.  Which means I am finally in the market for a new gaming headset, once again.  Well, preferably a non-gaming headset that works well in games.  It seems like non-gaming headsets can reach a much higher quality soundstage in comparison to similarly priced gaming headsets.

Currently I have been looking at the AKG 7xx, AKG 545, AKG 535 Pro, and the ATH m50x.  The AKG 7xx seemed like a phenomenal choice, however, I also realize that open headsets probably bleed a lot of noise.  Which is why I'm tempted to go with the AKG 545 (for the detachable cord), the AKG 535 Pro (slightly better sound), or the ATH m50x (for better quality build).  I'm leaning towards the m50x at the moment, but reviews have stated the soundstage isn't as good as other similarly priced headsets... but none of them seem to elaborate on this comment.  

Another option was the AKG m220, but that would also probably have leakage issues.  (Only $50 for the next 10 or so hours though!).

Anywho, if anyone has some good recommendations... I would love to hear them!

The Logitech g430. It goes for 80 dollars. http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

My only complaint is that the cable is WAY WAY to long.

I have the "Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum" Wireless with 7.1-Surround-Sound and they are awesome :)

Fantastic sound and you can freely move trough the room while still connected. In general you have a talk-time of 8-12h and then you have to charge them. They have a very nice charge cable with them, I have it plugged in most of the time and remove the cable when i want to walk around.

I have the "Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum" Wireless with 7.1-Surround-Sound and they are awesome :)

I have the G633 with 7.1. :)

Soundwise they are respectable but the drivers are terrible. And logitech does not fix driver issues, their strategy is more like Pump&Dump.

But the sound is good.

I have the G633 with 7.1. :)

Soundwise they are respectable but the drivers are terrible. And logitech does not fix driver issues, their strategy is more like Pump&Dump.

But the sound is good.

I have never had a driver problem.

Then you both are very lucky.

It took me several days getting it right and even now the "mute" on the mic doesnt quite work.

Despite turning it of my voice is still going back to my ears. So when I use mumble, teamspeak etc. I can hear my own voice when talking. It drives me insane. But it works fine on discord.

When I can bring up the will I'm going to try the razer driver. Some time around the release of alpha.

Then you both are very lucky.

It took me several days getting it right and even now the "mute" on the mic doesnt quite work.

Despite turning it of my voice is still going back to my ears. So when I use mumble, teamspeak etc. I can hear my own voice when talking. It drives me insane. But it works fine on discord.

When I can bring up the will I'm going to try the razer driver. Some time around the release of alpha.

Its suppose to do that. It drives me crazy without it.

Edit: Oh despite turning it off. Nevermind.

I appreciate all of the feedback and suggestions, but I really want to go for an audiophile headphone rather than a gaming headphone.  They (gaming headsets) are not as ridiculously overpriced as Beats or anything, but you can usually get a better audiophile for the same price as a gaming headset.  So, I ended up jumping on the K7xx as the open ear design intrigues me.  I've never used an open back headset, and I'm curious how much better it is in comparison to closed headsets.  I imagine it will be worlds different than my crumby Turtle Beach PX22s!

I also plan on getting a closed headset later on in the year as well, perhaps a DT 770 or V-MODA crossfade.  I imagine I will go with the crossfade, as it is polar opposite to the K7xx.

• 3 weeks later...

Corsair Gaming H2100 Wireless 7.1 Headset here, excellent quality sound and very durable...The kids love throwing them around!

You can grab them for around the £60 mark, think that's what i paid for them a year or so ago anyway.

They also work well with Android phones if you get a USB to Micro-USB adapter :)

I actually went with the AKG K7xx which is truly amazing... I'm not an audiophile, but I'm sure an audiophile would be happy with them!  Holy smokes, they are amazing.  Literally feels like I'm there... 

I also purchased a cheapo LyxPro HAS 30.  Which are also decent, not as good as the k7xx imho... but they suffice for use when others are around.  Being that they're closed back, they don't leak as much.

I'm using a cheapo Fiio Q1 amp for both headsets, works splendidly.  The LyxPro can obviously be used without one, but it sounds much more crisp and punchy with it.  It also has a bass equalizer that really give the bass when I want it.

The LyxPro is a really good headset for how cheap it is... comfy, well built, 50mm drivers...  You can get a cheaper version: Freeboss MDH9000 for like $45... if only I had known at the time, ha!  Would have saved $15... although, I don't really like the Freeboss logo on the band.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Logitec G930 - Wireless headset. It's an utter piece of shit designed by a braindead degenerate, likely against their will, while locked in a cellar and given some play doh, staples and duct tape for materials. The quality of parts is shit, the availability of replacement parts is shit, and the shitty design makes it nearly impossible to do a good job at repairing or replacing the shitty parts that break within a year or two. And don't me started on the software, that is the perfect example of an electronic plague of the modern age.

The one I'm using is the third one of the same headset that I have bought........ I think I have a problem. HELP ME!

I have Logitec G930 - Wireless headset. It's an utter piece of shit designed by a braindead degenerate, likely against their will, while locked in a cellar and given some play doh, staples and duct tape for materials. The quality of parts is shit, the availability of replacement parts is shit, and the shitty design makes it nearly impossible to do a good job at repairing or replacing the shitty parts that break within a year or two. And don't me started on the software, that is the perfect example of an electronic plague of the modern age.

The one I'm using is the third one of the same headset that I have bought........ I think I have a problem. HELP ME!

I purchased the LyxPro HAS-30 to be the in-between until I can afford the Mezes classics, and they are pretty awesome for their price.  I definitely prefer my K7xx, but these guys are great for the price.

There's a cheaper variant out there, but rebranded by a different company.  Can't seem to find it, but if you do find it... it would save you $20.

I personally like the aesthetic of this guy, but it's more expensive for the same exact headset:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018Y5CVO0/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491870482&sr=sr-1&keywords=lyxpro+has-30

It does not have a mic though.  The cord is also really long... but so are most cords in this category.

I purchased the LyxPro HAS-30 to be the in-between until I can afford the Mezes classics, and they are pretty awesome for their price.  I definitely prefer my K7xx, but these guys are great for the price.

There's a cheaper variant out there, but rebranded by a different company.  Can't seem to find it, but if you do find it... it would save you $20.

I personally like the aesthetic of this guy, but it's more expensive for the same exact headset:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018Y5CVO0/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491870482&sr=sr-1&keywords=lyxpro+has-30

It does not have a mic though.  The cord is also really long... but so are most cords in this category.

I do have to admit that wireless headsets have grown on me. I am able to never miss any gaming moment now, no matter if I'm at the computer, kitchen, bedroom, toilet or in the shower!

And to be honest, I would much rather never have to use a headset, but kind of don't have a choice in the matter when it comes to things like TeamSpeak and in-game communication - so not having a mic defeats the purpose of one for me. I'm just going to continue using my shitty G930, until this one dies too... Then I'll probably get another one of the same pile of shit because I must hate myself or secretly enjoy self e-harming or something like that.

I do have to admit that wireless headsets have grown on me. I am able to never miss any gaming moment now, no matter if I'm at the computer, kitchen, bedroom, toilet or in the shower!

And to be honest, I would much rather never have to use a headset, but kind of don't have a choice in the matter when it comes to things like TeamSpeak and in-game communication - so not having a mic defeats the purpose of one for me. I'm just going to continue using my shitty G930, until this one dies too... Then I'll probably get another one of the same pile of shit because I must hate myself or secretly enjoy self e-harming or something like that.

Ha yeah, I have never had any luck with bluetooth headsets.  

My friend has these guys, and they seem to work pretty well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A0EAYDI/ref=psdc_12097479011_t2_B018Y5CVO0?th=1

They are able to be either wired or wireless afaik.  They also come with a mic, I imagine it's in the wire though... but you can always use an external mic.