Vyz Ejstu

"

It's been a while and it's certainly taken more time than it should have, but The Aether's history is continuously being unearthed... Necessity begs that the dear readers are reminded: everything you will read as concerns The Aether is true and real. 

Without further ado, gentlemen and ladies, let us explore the choices and events that have shaped The Aether into the marvel she is now. 

A Preface is in order. 

Alternatively, if downloading the Preface in .pdf is not to your liking, you could view the Preface here

More will follow. Stay frosty.

"

Preface.compressed.pdf

"

Some of you might have visited the link and met the modern tactics of membership portals. For that, The Aether apologises. We will have the link corrected and the permissions modified in a matter of time. Till then, well, you just have to download the prologue we will be publishing later today as an apology.

As always, we are open to suggestions, ideas...and characters. This is no contest submission and I hope to work with more people than just members of The Aether where lore is concerned. So, keep an eye out for hidden references, hints and (of course) Easter eggs. 

Till then, 

Cheers.

"

"

Another promise fulfilled: The Aether has published the Prologue of the Frozen in Time Arc. Yes, the preface was boring, but it is necessary that such things are mentioned, lest our dear readers think of these works of literature as pure fiction. 

Rest assured, things start off with the prologue and will pick up pace with the first Chapter of the recovered memories and logs. 

We have also fixed the link and permissions of both the previously linked document and the one provided below (yet another word kept, many thanks to Shogun for that!). Now, you can read for free and with ease of mind, without bothering to sign up to The Aether Forums. Enter the portal here.

Optionally, if there's someone else keeping a local storage of our history, (thank you) you can simply download the attachment provided below. 

The next piece of history is going to hint at a prominent member of the Dual Universe Community - and no, it's not me or any member of The Aether. Let's see who has the sharpest eyes in here. 

- Members of The Aether will keep their mouths sealed. Don't ask us to help you out, alright?

Cheers.

"

Prologue.compressed.pdf

"

A week ago, The Aether released the prologue of the Frozen in Time Arc.  The first chapter was to come out shortly after that, but I had a premature writer's block, being quite unsure how to move from there. Invigorated with new ideas (and an ironical cold I caught a day ago), the Frozen in Time Arc is moving again.

There's going to be lots of things going on at the same time and a lot of unexpected left turns.  

Devious_T is a part of The Aether now and our dear readers can be sure of having a steady stream of world class content in the coming weeks and months.

The Easter Egg is hidden somewhere inside Chapter 1, along with the prominent member hinted at. As usual, if it is too much trouble downloading the attachment, you can always read the online version here. Kindly let us know if you experience any trouble accessing the stories featured there.

The next chapter will have another Easter Egg and member of Dual Universe hidden between the lines.

I wish you all good luck finding it, and hope you enjoy.

Cheers. 

"

Chapter1-min.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

"

Finally, Chapter 2 is out and below. It took a while, yes: I had to do 3 days' worth of editing and retyping. The first and second versions of the chapter simply did not pass the quality benchmark for me. 

Ah... The Easter Egg for Chapter 1 is the first mention of the name: Jamius. Click on it and you will be redirected to NQ-Nyzaltar's profile page. For those of you with sharp eyes, you'll note that the letters of the word are slightly larger than the rest of the text in the chapter. 

This chapter has another Easter Egg in it, it's up to you to guess who it is. 

I'm having a few problems attaching the file to the editor. It would seem that there is a limited amount of space allocated to each account. Until I find a way to clear all my previous attached files without deleting them from their respective posts, you'll have to make do with reading it here. Attached to the post, is the .pdf version of Chapter 2. 

Kindly do remember that we are open to working with other organisations; it would be wonderful if we had the stories of three or four organisations written in one joint effort. 

I wish you all the best. 

Cheers.

"

I hope the lore is good

"

Well, opinions vary, but I know it is good. Each chapter takes hours to write, rewrite, edit and document. A lot of work goes on in the background to make the characters realistic. Give it a read, I say. You just might like it. I know I did. 

Cheers.

"

"

Hello, again. 

Chapter 3 is out. We had some problems with the record keeping machines. The views were many, complex and as such, it was unusually tasking for the AIs to handle. Fear not, though. After many runs and reruns, editing lines of code and updates to the shell of the core systems, we finally managed to make it through. 

The last Chapter's Easter Egg was Halo381: the description of his profile picture was quite obvious, no? You can click on the word "Yoda" and you'll find yourself at his profile page. 

Don't bother searching this Chapter for an Easter Egg. The AI was too stressed and flatly turned down the idea of another hurdle before logging off to play Pacman... 

I wish you all the best, dear readers. Do give feedback if you notice something or have some ideas to share: we are always ready to listen. 

You can find the online version and the ".pdf" attachment here

Till the next Chapter comes out, 

Cheers.

"

Have yet to read it but I think it'll be as always, a good read. Thanks for sharing

"Thank you, Lethys! Not much of a fanbase, yet, but I'm all ears if you have anything to add. No, the emphasis on you was not a mistake.

Cheers.

"

"Thank you, Lethys! Not much of a fanbase, yet, but I'm all ears if you have anything to add. No, the emphasis on you was not a mistake.

Cheers.

"

Hey buddy.

It's half past 4, I'm drunk and the sun is shining. Good stuff but not for reading your story :( will read it until Monday to get you your deserved feedback

soooooooo

it's really hilarious to listen to your story via TTS while working - those french sentences are just a blast.

I hope I get to read Ch4 soon, it's a very good story so far.

It's a bit hard to follow all those sidestories (I didn't get why jamius was fighting in the mall) - perhaps focus on one story for a longer time? Like 1/3 of a chapter or so, that would make it much easier to get into that story again.

There are some good plottwist in that story - keep that up. I like it when you read a story and you're like "yeah ok, standard story, I know what'll happen next" and then it really happens - but in the end it changes completely and the only thing you think is: WTF? I'd love to see that here too - I did anticipate Melle's friends or children to be in RES. It wasn't that of a plottwist to me (still good though) but I hope there is ....more. A deep, confusing, complete gamechanger. If that makes any sense?

soooooooo

it's really hilarious to listen to your story via TTS while working - those french sentences are just a blast.

I hope I get to read Ch4 soon, it's a very good story so far.

It's a bit hard to follow all those sidestories (I didn't get why jamius was fighting in the mall) - perhaps focus on one story for a longer time? Like 1/3 of a chapter or so, that would make it much easier to get into that story again.

There are some good plottwist in that story - keep that up. I like it when you read a story and you're like "yeah ok, standard story, I know what'll happen next" and then it really happens - but in the end it changes completely and the only thing you think is: WTF? I'd love to see that here too - I did anticipate Melle's friends or children to be in RES. It wasn't that of a plottwist to me (still good though) but I hope there is ....more. A deep, confusing, complete gamechanger. If that makes any sense?

"

Hm...quite a review! 

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read and go in-depth into the lore: thank you very much. 

Secondly, I leave some things open for the future. Everything is documented in separate files - for example, you might not remember, Regis telling Oceane that "Father" didn't want her to know too much. That's still going to come in the future, because she hasn't found out who (or what) Father is. Being human, she definitely will ask later on. Making sure there are little holes here and there to fill up, ensures the story is a constant dance between decisions of the past, problems of the present and worries of the future -  this world in the FiT Arc is one heading to an apocalypse. I haven't dwelt much on that fact, but given that the majority of the scenes in the last three chapters have happened inside a single Facility, I hope it is understandable. I am more of an "open world" writer: making stories dwell in a confined space is a quite a challenge. I do not doubt your eyes picked up on the struggle to keep the story interesting.

Thirdly, I love books that involve the reader thinking as well. Jamius was shooting down a UMF vehicle and tactical unit at the same time RES was attacking the Facility. Why, would he do that? Good question. Now that Mistral has him cornered, we should be able to find out why in the world, he would be aiding a terrorist group. Or maybe, not. Hm... I think I shouldn't reveal that so early down the line. 

Next point: Yes, it is quite hard to follow all the side stories, and even harder without reading the previous chapters. The aim was for a connected flow of words, each chapter being the result of the previous one and the cause of the next one. Somewhere down the line, I overdid it. You aren't the first person to voice the concern that the stories are getting too complex and I will certainly take that into account while I write the next chapter. There's no hard limit on how many chapters this will take, so those side stories are little pockets of fuel to keep the vehicle moving. It's all in the linked links linking links! 

Plot twists? Hm... I can certainly add a few more... It might take a while to get a very deep one...imagine if Professor Set is Melle's husband...no? That definitely sounds lacklustre and it's something anyone could have thought. Plot twists will be done, I can certainly do them, the problem will be cutting down on the complexity. 

Thank you very much for your review. It reinforced some points and gave me a whole new look on others. I look forward to writing more. 

Cheers.

"

"

Hm...quite a review! 

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read and go in-depth into the lore: thank you very much. 

Secondly, I leave some things open for the future. Everything is documented in separate files - for example, you might not remember, Regis telling Oceane that "Father" didn't want her to know too much. That's still going to come in the future, because she hasn't found out who (or what) Father is. Being human, she definitely will ask later on. Making sure there are little holes here and there to fill up, ensures the story is a constant dance between decisions of the past, problems of the present and worries of the future -  this world in the FiT Arc is one heading to an apocalypse. I haven't dwelt much on that fact, but given that the majority of the scenes in the last three chapters have happened inside a single Facility, I hope it is understandable. I am more of an "open world" writer: making stories dwell in a confined space is a quite a challenge. I do not doubt your eyes picked up on the struggle to keep the story interesting.

Thirdly, I love books that involve the reader thinking as well. Jamius was shooting down a UMF vehicle and tactical unit at the same time RES was attacking the Facility. Why, would he do that? Good question. Now that Mistral has him cornered, we should be able to find out why in the world, he would be aiding a terrorist group. Or maybe, not. Hm... I think I shouldn't reveal that so early down the line. 

Next point: Yes, it is quite hard to follow all the side stories, and even harder without reading the previous chapters. The aim was for a connected flow of words, each chapter being the result of the previous one and the cause of the next one. Somewhere down the line, I overdid it. You aren't the first person to voice the concern that the stories are getting too complex and I will certainly take that into account while I write the next chapter. There's no hard limit on how many chapters this will take, so those side stories are little pockets of fuel to keep the vehicle moving. It's all in the linked links linking links! 

Plot twists? Hm... I can certainly add a few more... It might take a while to get a very deep one...imagine if Professor Set is Melle's husband...no? That definitely sounds lacklustre and it's something anyone could have thought. Plot twists will be done, I can certainly do them, the problem will be cutting down on the complexity. 

Thank you very much for your review. It reinforced some points and gave me a whole new look on others. I look forward to writing more. 

Cheers.

"

The one scene mentioned with jamius just stands out now, because (for now!) it's a bit too confusing. That'll change for sure later on when details are released, why he did it - When you read all of it then it'll make sense.

What I like most about your story are those detailed descriptions of characters, environment and things that happen - you get caught immediatly and you can imagine and see how you envision those sourroundings while you wrote it.

I like that story very much so please keep that wonderful work up and tell us how it'll end ;)

• 1 month later...

"

Chapter 4 sat on my desktop for two weeks while I pondered about this or that. This report was lacking in depth for quite a while and frankly, we all got a fatigued with tweaks and corrections here and there. Fear not, though: we pulled through. For hours, we have been editing non-stop, adding details here and there and at last, we are done. 

As usual, find the online version of the story here. The .pdf version is linked as an attachment on the same page. Now, I must warn the readers that we have a lot less time on our hands than before: it will take a while to find an appropriate release cycle. We all love a steady stream of good reports, but it is far more important that the intervals are regular. Thus, we will be settling for one new report every two weeks - if we have more time to spare, it might be one report per week, but we urge you not to count on that. Lethys voiced some concerns and we have duly taken them into account. As the reports proceed, all actions will become clearer. Something huge is going to blow in Marcel in the next story, stay frosty for that.

We wish you all the best and a cosy reading. 

"

• 2 weeks later...

"

Well, hello again. You still remember us, don't you? 

Chapter 5 is finally out, and the AIs had the time of their lives pulling it off. The result is a magnificent report - almost 5000 words long. Rest assured, this one has more action than any of the others and you can expect Chapter 6 by Sunday or Monday. Here you go: Chapter 5

Things took an awry turn in this chapter, but you have not seen the last of Professor Set. The old man has some thing up his sleeve - literally.  

As always, I look forward to your critiques, observations and the usual. I am thinking of putting these chapters up on Royal Road Legends, but I'll wait till Chapter 6 before a solid decision is made. The attachment can be found along with the link. I tried the text-to-speech for the first time. Suffice it to say, it was...interesting.

Enjoy yourselves, 

Cheers. 

"

looking forward to chapter 6, nice read!

I'm curious what happens there with regis and naveed.

At the end I thought Melle was still dreaming in her pod there, had to reread it twice to get it :D Am a bit slow today

keep it coming

Good chapter, will there be more? We don't know what happened to Set yet! :D

Just a small sidenote too:

It's a bit hard to read and comprehend everything. Partly because I read the stories as you release them (and have to re-read paragraphs) and partly because you have no clue whatsoever in the beginning of each paragraph which story arc you're reading atm. It's good to use such elements of distraction (did it myself in my story) to confuse the reader when neccessary, but it's hard to read (for a non-native english speaker) to comprehend the story when every paragraph starts that way.

nonetheless: good work, looking forward to the next chapter (?) :)

Good chapter, will there be more? We don't know what happened to Set yet! :D

Just a small sidenote too:

It's a bit hard to read and comprehend everything. Partly because I read the stories as you release them (and have to re-read paragraphs) and partly because you have no clue whatsoever in the beginning of each paragraph which story arc you're reading atm. It's good to use such elements of distraction (did it myself in my story) to confuse the reader when neccessary, but it's hard to read (for a non-native english speaker) to comprehend the story when every paragraph starts that way.

nonetheless: good work, looking forward to the next chapter (?) :)

"

Thank you for that. I still have to simplify a few things, it seems. The problem with writing without a definite plan set in place is the unwelcome chance of the characters becoming too many - each vying for more attention. Changing views with so many characters is indeed, troublesome.

For the writer, it's a way to hop from one slow scene to an interesting one and back again, when the scene is in favour of some appropriate inspiration. For the reader, however, it is not so simple: engrossed in the final throes of one character to be thrown into the melancholy evening of another is something best kept for 'seasoned readers' (yes, there is such a thing as 'seasoned readers', you just won't find it in the dictionary).

The FiT Arc will end in Chapter 7, but we'll pick up from there in the future.  

Thank you all for your support and encouragement: it's kept me going as always! 

Cheers.

"

• 4 weeks later...

"

I know you saw this update and thought that the last Chapter is finally out. Sorry for letting you down - in advance. We are through writing and compiling, so you should expect it later today or tomorrow. Work has not been a walk in the park lately.

However, the good news is: we are through reviewing it and have plans to start the next series of records. We finally found the bug that made the reports sound so analytical. The style in this story still has some errors due to the said bug, but it gives a hint of what the next story might sound like. We might even make enough advances to switch to first person point of view. 

Needless to say, it will be tricky; but that is a story for another day.

Cheers.

"