Single Player Creative Mode

Allammo

I know it sounds crazy, it's gonna be MMO after all, however it would be nice to be able start single player game. Of course in limited universe, for instance one solar system. This mode would be just some called simulation, like NQ called early alpha stage - cryogenic dream of connected minds preparing remains of human civilization to start everything all over again in different place. Difference between SP and MP game would be obviose, cryogenic dream of one person allowing building, programming, preparing for MP games. I'm not talking about campaign, just sandbox world generated without Internet connection. I love building stuff, 2/3 part of a year I spend abroad and I use limited GSM Internet connection which is still rather expensive. I'd be glad to be able to play game solo, create things, program 'em and than use them in MP game. Also at home it would be great to be able to build stuff in quiet place, without worries about other players, connection stability, resources. What do you think about that?

You are quicker than sudden death... I've already said that. Last part of first post kind of explains reasons.

You missed the point. Why would an MMO be a single player building game? I see your arguements on being abroad, but you can't have an MMO pie and eat it on your own too. Probably if you were to run a server on your own end, maybe, but as far as I have read ,they don't aim for a single player experience.

You would also be excluding yourself from the emergent game play, by playing online only when it suits you. I understand where you're coming from, don't get me wrong. And I wouldn't mind an offline ship/building designer, but as far as actually building and playing goes, online only. 

The point? Allow players to build and test in peace. Allow all those who spend a lot of time far away from shore, and even if they are close to shore they need to use limited, expensive, ubstable Internet connection. I know there are not much people who spend so much time away from sufficient, limitless Internet network, but as I said, such mode wouldn't be useful only for unlucky ones. Creating blueprints in SP creative mode would have huge advantage over doing same thing online... No rush, everything could be thought way better and crush tested without loosing resources gathered in MP mode.

I doubt there will be such possibility that's why it's an idea, request not demand. Maybe till 2017 limitless LTE for UE will become affordable, now it costs something around 250-300 euro per month.

I believe you are able to use a "workshop" so to speak while creating. while not addressing your desire to be offline I do belive it lets you not waste resources and lets you be away from the populace

edit: ill look through dev blogs later if someone doesn't know which devblog it is off hand

I believe you are able to use a "workshop" so to speak while creating. while not addressing your desire to be offline I do belive it lets you not waste resources and lets you be away from the populace

edit: ill look through dev blogs later if someone doesn't know which devblog it is off hand

Thanks for answer. I was going through forum and I've learned there will be virtual reality for creative construction. Game in game allowing to build anything in peace... Unfortunately for me it will be online mode only. So I guess I'll have to play other games for most of the year if GSM broadband proces will not decrease drastically.

The closest thing to what you're talking about that will be in the game are safe build-zones, near ark-ships or otherwise. However, I believe you'll still need the resources to create a ship in the first place.

I suppose what OP is trying to get at, is a blueprint mode, that allows you to create a larger ship than you have resources for, that you could then later focus on building, and not designing as materials become available.

I suggested something like this in the devthread that outlined the virtual reality thing they have planned so you can design and build stuff in safety. I suggested just making it so you could play that offline if something like your internet goes out (yes that does happen for people) you can still play but it won't really affect other people except that you put time into making a design same as you would have if you had done it on the server.

It would be stupid of the devs to code something that will effectively reduce the amount of players online, so definitely no, especially because the game will be p2p, if people could just rip the offline mode and build whatever they want it'll lead to a severe cut in in their income.

I suggested something like this in the devthread that outlined the virtual reality thing they have planned so you can design and build stuff in safety. I suggested just making it so you could play that offline if something like your internet goes out (yes that does happen for people) you can still play but it won't really affect other people except that you put time into making a design same as you would have if you had done it on the server.

From the Dev Blog:

"Virtual Simulator: enabling player to enter a virtual world (call it “inception syndrome”!). While in that virtual space, the player would be able to design any construct, in a completely peaceful setting. This would help builders to design their construct and create their blueprints safely, without being interrupted by any PvP action. For ships, it will also be possible to test their flight mode, without risking a crash or wasting resources!"

Although, in several other places the devs talked about how building/designing a construct should be a difficult task. A 'virtual reality' would make actual design way easier. I personally think that building will be done in safe spots, like suggested in the dev blog. 

From the Dev Blog:

"Virtual Simulator: enabling player to enter a virtual world (call it “inception syndrome”!). While in that virtual space, the player would be able to design any construct, in a completely peaceful setting. This would help builders to design their construct and create their blueprints safely, without being interrupted by any PvP action. For ships, it will also be possible to test their flight mode, without risking a crash or wasting resources!"

Although, in several other places the devs talked about how building/designing a construct should be a difficult task. A 'virtual reality' would make actual design way easier. I personally think that building will be done in safe spots, like suggested in the dev blog. 

That's in-game though, not offline, possibly in the Arkship itself.

All this does is do exactly what the biggest problem with starmade is, allows people to engage in online gameplay offline. The whole point of this game is pushing everyone into a single shard, so why would they suddenly decide to let people split off their own. No this is a terrible idea and would actually harm the game by keeping people offline. Why even bother building in multiplayer at all, do it in single player and just transfer it over no resources lost in testing or anything. No risk, no chance of resource loss, no chance of dying. If the core of this game is always online emergent gameplay then splitting the community like this is just plain idiotic. Huge section of the game would be cut off like raiding bases for design blue-prints or fully/semi constructed prototypes. Spying, tech stealing, and god knows how much else.

So in response I would say this is definitely not being developed. And would not only be a waste of development time would also be harmful to the games future.

All this does is do exactly what the biggest problem with starmade is, allows people to engage in online gameplay offline. The whole point of this game is pushing everyone into a single shard, so why would they suddenly decide to let people split off their own. No this is a terrible idea and would actually harm the game by keeping people offline. Why even bother building in multiplayer at all, do it in single player and just transfer it over no resources lost in testing or anything. No risk, no chance of resource loss, no chance of dying. If the core of this game is always online emergent gameplay then splitting the community like this is just plain idiotic. Huge section of the game would be cut off like raiding bases for design blue-prints or fully/semi constructed prototypes. Spying, tech stealing, and god knows how much else.

So in response I would say this is definitely not being developed. And would not only be a waste of development time would also be harmful to the games future.

You said the truth my friend,why does every game that has building needs singleplayer?

I would have no problem with them creating a stand-alone blueprint module where you can only create blueprints and then upload them into the game when you're done and ready for placement.  But any resource gathering, placements, etc should be done online. 

Sounds like something we should get as an add-on much later in development though.  Get the core game online and tweaked, and then start adding extras.

I would have no problem with them creating a stand-alone blueprint module where you can only create blueprints and then upload them into the game when you're done and ready for placement.  But any resource gathering, placements, etc should be done online. 

Sounds like something we should get as an add-on much later in development though.  Get the core game online and tweaked, and then start adding extras.

^ This. 

That is exactly the point.  For people to be able to design and build things in peace.  The risk comes later when you use those constructs in the world.

There could even be some kind of period of vulnerability where you could be attacked when you're deploying a blueprint in the world. 

But the fact is whether it's in a virtual simulation (instance) that is already being considered or in the protected bubble around the Arcs that is a confirmed feature, you aren't going to be able to pester people while they are building either way.  So i'd get over that.

As far as being able to access those instances offline i'm not against it, but i don't think it would be a simple thing technically speaking.  

As others have stated, blueprint construction mode would take away some of the emergent gameplay of finding a safe place to build and test constructs. 

On the other hand, if you think about the way vehicles and buildings are designed today, it is usually done first though 3D modelling and programs that can correct many problems even before the first prototype is built. 

So I do think some form of offline blueprint construction mode should exist, but in a very limited way. I.e. you can't use materials and elements that your character had not researched on last login and as was originally suggested,  the VR simulation could be very small in scale, say, only a small asteroid belt.

Ideally, I'd like to avoid this altogether and have it all take place online, but I do sympathize with not having a good internet 2/3 of the year. That sounds rough if you're into MMO's.

I would like to thank you all four interest in the subject. I agree with you all folks, however I still take a side of allowing player, selfishly ME to be able to at least design, script things in offline mode while abroad. Of course it's not mine or even yours decision I just wanted to know what other people think about such possibility. NQ will do with our silent voice whatever they please, seed of an idea has been planted. I'll play the game no matter of decision, maybe GSM Internet providers will make their offers more affordable till game release, and offline mode will not be needed by those who spend time in late 90s for most of the year.

Singleplayer creative could be useful BUT some people will play more here than in the multiplayer mode...

True ! in Elite Dangerous their is no real interest in going multiplayer if you are trading, except calling for your own murder.

"Solo play" creates a game divided and less prone to have a long life as muliplayer fan loose interest and are the core demographic targeted there by NQ

Thanks for links, when I was creating this thread I've just found the one about SP for moding, and this was and is not area of my interest. I haven't found first and third, I'll go through 'em to see what people think, maybe there will be NQs statement about subject of my interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Well there is nothing wrong with your question at all. One thing most MMO players that play these type games don't understand is that a majority of builders that play these games are more single player or lone wolf style of gamers.  Multiplayer is something they will play but they prefer it to be optional. It's always been that way for building games and DU no matter how amazing will it be can't change that culture.  That's why Dual Universe I believe will be successful but it will never knock off games like Space Engineers Starmade or Empyrion because those games understand the majority of people that play those games and  a majority of people that play building games will always play a single player experience first and play multiplayer when they feel like it.  Most of the people that complain about Starmade Space Engineers and Empyrion are the hard core multiplayer guys but they aren't the core fan bases of those type of games.