This has to end...

As some of you already pointed out, the "Intergalactic Banking Federation" (IBF) had an extremly high growth in the last days. Founded on the 1st of march, they already have 65 members. Nearly all those accounts were created in the last 5 days. There were 26 new members in one day. That's more than 1317 orgs got in their whole time of existance. I'd like to ask NQ to either delete this whole organization or the fake members. This is a problem that many online games have but we should start fighting against it as soon as possible.

To add on. None of them (Bar SongOfStorm) has pledged, Which is highly sus for such a big org. None of them have profile pics, again sus. And if they are all new members, why have they gone to this one org and none of the others, considering they're all in one org only. Some of them were even made with the same naming conventions. Im not usually one to call out alt or anything like that, but I think they need to be at least checked out.

Edit: doubled checked and there's profile pics, but really?

I'll throw in the key question into the room:

Is it forbidden? The forum rules, after a quick glance at least, do not imply this directly or I missed the key parts.

Of course it looks like a silly alt-paradise or network, all things considered. Some affiliates share the same style of introduction post or logo, many profiles appear "bare-bones" and there doesn't seem to be external sources that show that the group has a prior history or traces somewhere - according to a very quick search anyway - thus making it more unlikely that an existing organization came here "at once" with various members. No website was linked when I looked around.

It seems justified to make fun of it, given the very very low chance of it being legit...

But it doesn't seem to be forbidden so far. Frowned upon by the community, sure. If everyone is generally against it (I, for one, think it's amusing seeing the obvious attempt) or if NQ is against it, consider adding some rule against fake news networks or members.

That way, you can directly call for official assistance (mods) when these cases pop up.

On another note, I'd very much look forward to some sort of response from the organization / people in question about the accusation.

But before a mob with pitchforks comes around, I'd just smirk at it and move on.

I'll throw in the key question into the room:

Is it forbidden? The forum rules, after a quick glance at least, do not imply this directly or I missed the key parts.

Of course it looks like a silly alt-paradise or network, all things considered. Some affiliates share the same style of introduction post or logo, many profiles appear "bare-bones" and there doesn't seem to be external sources that show that the group has a prior history or traces somewhere - according to a very quick search anyway - thus making it more unlikely that an existing organization came here "at once" with various members. No website was linked when I looked around.

It seems justified to make fun of it, given the very very low chance of it being legit...

But it doesn't seem to be forbidden so far. Frowned upon by the community, sure. If everyone is generally against it (I, for one, think it's amusing seeing the obvious attempt) or if NQ is against it, consider adding some rule against fake news networks or members.

That way, you can directly call for official assistance (mods) when these cases pop up.

On another note, I'd very much look forward to some sort of response from the organization / people in question about the accusation.

But before a mob with pitchforks comes around, I'd just smirk at it and move on.

To late

Simpsons+Movie+Angry+Mob.jpg

In my opinion people should not be able to make that many alts, it clutters the community portal.

And that tiny bit of OCD in all of use is getting to me :(.

Edit: LOL, they do not have pitch forks my bad.

It's not forbidden so far, that's true. They haven't been active on the forum afaik so to me it's just a very bad attempt (and I commented those already on the community page).

You just have to look at eve: there are all kinds of alt orgs and they're legit because you aRE explicitly allowed to do so. So it would be nice to have a statement from nq on this

Question is: 'Is the juice worth the sqeeuze?,

Meaning is it worth their time?

Yes it is a bit silly to imagine people wasting so much time setting it up. But you could look at it as clever advertising. Image, packaging and the appearance of succes can lead to real succes.

to add something else: NQ already pointed out  that you're not allowed to create orgs which are the same as real life ones (apple, microsoft, etc.). So this whole trump thing actually is forbidden and should be deleted as well

That is an aspect to consider, however. Due to potential copyright or legal problems, I'm guessing.

Of course the geniuses had to pick royal families, known people, etc. If (a lack of) alt rules can't get them, this could.

On that note I sometimes wonder why so many organizations pop up on that community hub but never here. This goes for either the orgs or, more often, the users. Just an observation I made some time ago, still seems to hold true here and there.

I wonder if the people in question even see this here?

Another thing to add, NQ KNOWS who is who on the community portal and can actually see who has created which alt, as they stated before somewhere I believe. And this has been going on for a while now, in several orgs. And as it seems, they havn't interfered so far, so I wouldn't expect them to even in this case. 

Althrough it is very extreme, boosting yourself to the top 15.
The only thing that really bothers me is that a completely new player isn't very likely to immediately recognize a fake org and would try to join if interested, instead of an actual org in the field which has been around for far longer and is far more serious and probably the better experience for an interested player.
In this case for example, a member joining the IBF instead of the IBO, that would much rather deserve new members.

But in the end, I guess the only thing we can do is to work together as a community and draw attention to how it really is. 
And it's not like an org founded with 60+ fake accounts has any meaningful future either.

But boy was I surprised to see an org with more alts in it than TVR.

To be honest, I expect most people to eventually noticed that the organization they joined does not have as many members as advertised or shown. It doesn't matter much in terms of projected power or manpower if an organization with 1-3 people has 5, 10 or 500 alts - in the end, it's just those 1-3 people. The higher the alt number, the easier it would be to spot, however.

I mean, you can promise or show a lot but you have to deliver eventually. And a "ghost army" can't hold forever.

Another thing to add, NQ KNOWS who is who on the community portal and can actually see who has created which alt, as they stated before somewhere I believe. And this has been going on for a while now, in several orgs. And as it seems, they havn't interfered so far, so I wouldn't expect them to even in this case. 

Althrough it is very extreme, boosting yourself to the top 15.

The only thing that really bothers me is that a completely new player isn't very likely to immediately recognize a fake org and would try to join if interested, instead of an actual org in the field which has been around for far longer and is far more serious and probably the better experience for an interested player.

In this case for example, a member joining the IBF instead of the IBO, that would much rather deserve new members.

But in the end, I guess the only thing we can do is to work together as a community and draw attention to how it really is. 

And it's not like an org founded with 60+ fake accounts has any meaningful future either.

But boy was I surprised to see an org with moOre alts in it than TVR.

Of course they don't have a meanigful future. But I want my place 16 in the leaderboard back.

:P

Yeah, there needs to be a requirement to enter organisations. A siimple solution would be "be an iron founder or above", although some oerganisations would flip out over this notion, as it would remove - or more likely expose - their alt-stacking member count.

The lengths people will go to to become relevant...

I'm glad you guys posted this, as they appeared out of nowhere. Three days ago, not even on the radar, two days ago, 40 characters and now yesterday, 65.

Whilst there has been huge growth spurts before, this is beyond anything, bar Frogswarm popping up (although, they are legitimate and all signed up in a week!).

I will do a little digging, but if it is considered an org that is a single member by majority, I will not acknowledge it in my charts or otherwise.

As for a solution to the problem, I can't think of one that doesn't require intervention.

Yeah, there needs to be a requirement to enter organisations. A siimple solution would be "be an iron founder or above", although some oerganisations would flip out over this notion, as it would remove - or more likely expose - their alt-stacking member count.

The lengths people will go to to become relevant...

we need some requirements, but a neccessary pledge is a no-go. In my org for example, I am the only one in the council that actually pledged because all the others "don't pay for undone things". I don't support their ideology, but I respect it. They are really active tho, so that is not the right way to go

we need some requirements, but a neccessary pledge is a no-go. In my org for example, I am the only one in the council that actually pledged because all the others "don't pay for undone things". I don't support their ideology, but I respect it. They are really active tho, so that is not the right way to go

Which is what I said in the very post you quoted. People would flip out.

But this won't stop any other way. 

This is worse than EVE's "pilot count" on orgs, with people having 10 or 12 accounts on thier name. At least those people ACTUALLY have toons in-game to show for it. 

But I personally would love to see some organisations deflate RAPIDLY by NQ implementing an obligatory pledge to use the organisations tab in the community portal. That would clear things up.

While I personally don't like the idea of alts or well alts at this scale, I wouldn't want to make backing the game a requirement to join an org since there might be people that may not want to pay now but genuinely want to play and are active people but I do see your point how it is an efficient way to get rid of alts.

NQ will very likely intervene. They do have ways of finding fake accounts, and they do not like the idea of fake accounts either. Fake accounts are also against their guidelines. This brings up the question, why haven't the intervened yet? The answer is that it is the weekend, so most of NQ is probably at home. The second reason is that they don't track these sorts of things till they become a problem. I reported the IBM and the around 80 fake accounts and 13 fake organizations ascossciated with it yesterday, so they will probably see that tomorrow and take action. In the meantime, it's probably best not to start a Lynch mob.

Why did the person or persons do this? Most likely, they just joined the community and decided that the best way to get attention would be to appear to be a much bigger group. Having just joined, they wouldn't have known that there are only 10-20 people who join the community per day, so growing at such a rate is extremely suspicious. They also wouldn't have known there are people (like us :P ) who track this sort of thing, and would instantly notice.

They also wouldn't have known there are people (like me :P ) who track this sort of thing, and would instantly notice.

People like the lot of us :^)