The Expanse

Violet

Is anyone watching the expanse?

It's a hard SciFi tv series on Syfy right now in its second season, its based on a series of novels.

What I really love about it is that all the technology is realistic, they don't have artificial gravity, shields or FTL. It's all set in our solar system some 200 years in the future where there are three factions, Earth and Mars are in a sort of cold war like America and Russia and then there are the Belters which are people who live in space in the asteroid belts but they seem to get the hard end of the deal in terms of being exploited by earth and mars.

I first found out about this last year when I came across the show on Netflix and I thought this is how I would love dual universe to be like.

This space battle is pretty much everything I've wanted from a space show forever:

Should be spoiler free, but they reference a couple of things in passing so be warned

I love the Expanse! I hate to be that guy but I actually started reading the books a few years ago, reading on average about 1 per year. I binge watched the first season in about a week once and absolutely loved it. It was awesome and a great relief from all the sci fi nowadays that always have to have some odd twist to it... (Like come on, world war II movies are always great, make a war movie but in space, haven't humans proved they don't need aliens to launch an interstellar war?)

I am definitely going to watch the second season, probably this summer. I have since stopped reading the books though... After leviathan wakes I couldn't wait to read more. However after the 4th book I am not really interested with the direction it has taken. Still, the series is awesome and oddly unique.

Something I will say about the books is how great they are at conveying the realisticness of living in space, always calling attention to the fact that people from Earth have trouble orientating themselves in space, engineers always locking down any equipment not in use because any loose item becomes a dangerous projectile during accelerations. The books constantly call stuff like this out and it really makes you feel that the writers care.

Something the show has that the books don't is the awesomeness and intensity of action sequences. The show does a much better job of conveying emotions of course, and making things like battles and gunfights way, way more intriguing.

Seen all of it so far, one of the few shows I actually make time for each week a new episode comes out (Also, check out The Magicians, it's also on SyFy and runs ont he same night. Great show.) Expanse is absolutely stunning.

I have the books in a wish list somewhere, just haven't purchased them yet. 

I love the Expanse! I hate to be that guy but I actually started reading the books a few years ago, reading on average about 1 per year. I binge watched the first season in about a week once and absolutely loved it. It was awesome and a great relief from all the sci fi nowadays that always have to have some odd twist to it... (Like come on, world war II movies are always great, make a war movie but in space, haven't humans proved they don't need aliens to launch an interstellar war?)

I am definitely going to watch the second season, probably this summer. I have since stopped reading the books though... After leviathan wakes I couldn't wait to read more. However after the 4th book I am not really interested with the direction it has taken. Still, the series is awesome and oddly unique.

Something I will say about the books is how great they are at conveying the realisticness of living in space, always calling attention to the fact that people from Earth have trouble orientating themselves in space, engineers always locking down any equipment not in use because any loose item becomes a dangerous projectile during accelerations. The books constantly call stuff like this out and it really makes you feel that the writers care.

Something the show has that the books don't is the awesomeness and intensity of action sequences. The show does a much better job of conveying emotions of course, and making things like battles and gunfights way, way more intriguing.

I didn't realize these were based off of books!  I hate watching shows before books.  I normally hate watching them afterwards anyways, but that's just because I know the plot already :P

Definitely going to read the books now though.  Don't think I will stop watching the shows though, they are well done.  The past few shows by Syfy have been pretty decent.  Of course, others not so much... but expanse, killjoys, dark matter... they're pretty good.

Fortunately for you, the show is slightly different than the books, on top of the fact that the first season doesn't even cover the entire first book, making the show move at quite a slower pace. ReadAND watch I say! Though if you don't want to read an 8+ book series, I wouldn't worry, the first and maybe second are the only ones I fully enjoyed.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah its probably one of the best made sci-fi shows I've seen in a while. Can really notice the attention to detail they gave to everything. Its def not as popular as it should be, as its better then most of the crap being put out lately.

and its just get re-upped for a third season yay!

• 4 weeks later...

I stumbled upon this clip. I might have to give this a watch, if the other episodes arent just mindless small talk and random chatter I might be able to get into it

It's more space drama than action, so bear that in mind. I've been enjoying it a lot personally, but it isn't a fast paced show at all, and there can often times be an episode or two back to back of just plot build up. I like the way they do that though, as each reveal or big scene has a big impact. Plus, my inner science nerd loves the small details they work on for the show.

I've been watching it with many breaks in-between various episodes, often days, so the experience might feel a bit "disconnected" compared to watching it "in one go", but I must say so far it is entertaining. Then again I'm not through it yet. I think I'm somewhere at S1E8 or something.

I also like the whole political landscape and the factions.

I have started to watch The Expanse because of this topic on the forums here and have seen all the episodes so far.

I expected something quite different, a bit more "adventurous", but I didn't get let down once. What The Expanse shows is a realistic and logical construct of politics, story, different temperaments and the strong impact of actions of only a few people. 

But as a former theater actor, I pay more attention to the actors and acting than the average viewer and I noticed quite a few slips and grossities in actions, often on a very basic level and mostly due to suboptimal directing. While this tells a lot about the show's background, it's something you can ignore easily. Most of these are forgotten within seconds if you focus on whatever is happening. But the bad acting may disturb your enjoyment from time to time.

Yet overall, it definitely is one of the better shows I've seen in the past few months and can surely recommend it for everyone who is interested in a Sci-fi universe, which should be everyone active on the forums.