Morals question

pengo1998

There you are in the middle of battle, you hit their vessel and its now adrift and its crew helpless. They begin to evacuate and helpless escape pods are flying everywhere trying to avoid being killed. What do you do? Do you fire on the helpless escape pods or do you open fire killing everything in sight showing no mercy?

Depends on the crime that they have committed against the state. . . If there pirates either option A: take them captive and place them in a box, or if option A is unable to be carried out, then option B: blow them out of the sky would go into action. Only true neutral parties / non agrro pods would be left by the wayside. 

It really all depends. It depends on the location, the relationship between the attacker and victim, the goal of the attack, etc.

If it is a war, then I would imagine that the escape pods would be targeted since even though they lost their ship they're not out of the fight till they are dead.

If the attacker is just trying to steal their ship then probably not, since it would be a waste of ammo.

If it is a war, then I would imagine that the escape pods would be targeted since even though they lost their ship they're not out of the fight till they are dead.

Depends on where their RN's are.

In the other solar system, great.

In the same system, you just helped them to redeploy faster.

That's actually a good point. I mean, unless the game has magical omniscient scanenrs on the player suits, if they stayed in a pod - for whaatever reason - they are in a pod and blind, which they exchanged over redeploying in their star system for ... KDR. Yeah...

However, suiciding in-game should be penalised or at least, discouraged. If the Devs were to add Trauma Mechanics in the game, that would be awesome. Suicide adds more Combat Fatigue timers, essentially, hinderign your recovery timer on Combat Efficiency.

Just saying.   :P

Good point. Like I said, it depends on location. If you are on the defensive then definitely kill them, whereas if you are on the offence it may be better to have them be scattered.

Although, since rez nodes have to recharge after use, and we don't know how org level rez nodes will work exactly, it may be possible to overload their rez nodes by forcing enough people to respawn quickly enough, in which case location wouldn't matter as much.

Good point. Like I said, it depends on location. If you are on the defensive then definitely kill them, whereas if you are on the offence it may be better to have them be scattered.

Although, since rez nodes have to recharge after use, and we don't know how org level rez nodes will work exactly, it may be possible to overload their rez nodes by forcing enough people to respawn quickly enough, in which case location wouldn't matter as much.

From my understanding the time it takes for a ress node to recharge is based on energy input. If multiple people die and one ress-node gets used by first dead member then either the others have to respawn on the second closest ress node or wait for the recharge. Either way it would take time for them to get together again unless they have a base/ship with multiple ress nodes at hand.

From my understanding the time it takes for a ress node to recharge is based on energy input. If multiple people die and one ress-node gets used by first dead member then either the others have to respawn on the second closest ress node or wait for the recharge. Either way it would take time for them to get together again unless they have a base/ship with multiple ress nodes at hand.

Exactly. It's fairly reasonable that any major org will have numerous rez nodes available, but perhaps not enough for everyone, so it would be possible to force them all to recharge or to deplete the energy source that is powering them by killing enough people. Now that I think about it, this might cause people to focus more on killing bystanders/civilians in order to put more strain on the rez nodes.

Since this is a video game no need for  "Morals" so it depends on the conditions. If they are in my orgs space I would probably kill them, don't want a bunch of enemies running around in there. But if it was in the middle of no where HELL YEA I WOULD KILL THEM, I would want to look there body's.

But I mean seriously. Its literally a few bullets and you simply cannot leave survivors. When there are survivors, there are people who will follow you and hunt you down with their escape pods.

Plus, I mean... Its fun to kill (and get killed).

But I mean seriously. Its literally a few bullets and you simply cannot leave survivors.

I can. :)

When there are survivors, there are people who will follow you and hunt you down with their escape pods.

Hmmm, armed escape pods huh? Hadn't thought of that! However, I highly doubt that they could do much to you, especially considering you were obviously well armed enough to force the crew to the pods in the first place.

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't tell you not to shoot the pods, and I wouldn't hold it against anyone that did. It is more or less a personal decision based on the circumstances.

Now, if you were, say, a pirate, and the instigator of the battle that left the other ship crippled, I would say leave the pods alone and go for the cargo. The crew in those pods has done nothing to you or your organization. (Probably).

But I know some of you won't agree with that viewpoint either, so it really does boil down to personal choice. :)

I can. :)

Hmmm, armed escape pods huh? Hadn't thought of that! However, I highly doubt that they could do much to you, especially considering you were obviously well armed enough to force the crew to the pods in the first place.

Maybe instead of investing in escape pods corps should make fighters.

The morality question is pretty hampered by the fact that this game includes respawns - which means killing doesn't have any real consequence aside from mild inconvenience. 

The aim in DU warfare should be to minimize enemy strategic resources and maximize one's own in the fighting; killing them won't do this, so I wouldn't.

Rather, I would leave them there or if resources permit, relocate them to some barren area and maybe use that space or planet/moon as a stockade; which would better delay their return to the fight, as for the former they would need to wait for rescue and on the latter that rescue itself would be delayed - decreasing available enemy resources as was the point to begin with.

Aside from the respawn bit, good question.

The morality question is pretty hampered by the fact that this game includes respawns - which means killing doesn't have any real consequence aside from mild inconvenience.

The aim in DU warfare should be to minimize enemy strategic resources and maximize one's own in the fighting; killing them won't do this, so I wouldn't.

Rather, I would leave them there or if resources permit, relocate them to some barren area and maybe use that space or planet/moon as a stockade; which would better delay their return to the fight, as for the former they would need to wait for rescue and on the latter that rescue itself would be delayed - decreasing available enemy resources as was the point to begin with.

Aside from the respawn bit, good question.

Well as already said: killing stresses the rez nodes so it can be viable to kill them. Depending on where their staging area is located, your intention and the possible loot on their bodies.

Or take them hostage with a singing ransom for the lols