Magnetic force

Alex_Rogan

Odd idea, but what about magnetic elements in game? Maybe a ore that can be mined or perhaps an man-made magnet.

I imagine something like this is possible, function of crafting in text unless your talking like for traps of binding people or avatar like floating buildings. In which case you'd probably have to research passive superconductivity like materials or something. Otherwise if you need magnetic elements, that's more or less just smelting iron the right way under specific circumstance like it being in a high magentic field so all the atoms align in the right direction.

How exactly do you see this implemented?

Odd idea, but what about magnetic elements in game? Maybe a ore that can be mined or perhaps an man-made magnet.

We did discuss it before.

I think it was in a thread about a tractor beam. The general concensus seemed to be that it was great for gameplay but it had a very high troll potential. :P

Here is one of those links, I will try to find the tractor beam one that Falstaf mentioned too.

Be forewarned, I was in the mood to type out my entire design for a magnetic autopilot-like system in this thread. It is easily the longest post I have ever made, but if you read it, you might find it interesting.

Here it is: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10119-gravitymagneticboost-pads/

Edit: I did a search on the forums for the word "magnetic" and several results showed up ranging from gravity manipulation to weapons, so you might want to take a look at some of those as well!

Appreciate the link.

I did see that post, but because I quick read it and I didn't get it all. My bad.

Other then elevators and transport, what about small construct? Example, moving sculptures or locks?

Other then elevators and transport, what about small construct? Example, moving sculptures or locks?

There aren't many people who would object to some kind of magnetics in the game. If you can make it relatively troll proof.

Perhaps allowing you to only interact with constructs where you have permission to do so. I think not everybody will want strangers picking up their constructs and flying away with it. :P

But as always we have no idea what the technical costs are behind cool ideas.

There aren't many people who would object to some kind of magnetics in the game. If you can make it relatively troll proof.

Perhaps allowing you to only interact with constructs where you have permission to do so. I think not everybody will want strangers picking up their constructs and flying away with it. :P

But as always we have no idea what the technical costs are behind cool ideas.

Maybe the magnets can be used to pick up debris or ore that is laying around but if there is a working core unit then it won't effect the construct. That would help keep it from being troll proof

Maybe the magnets can be used to pick up debris or ore that is laying around but if there is a working core unit then it won't effect the construct. That would help keep it from being troll proof

I think you meant either, "keep it troll-proof," or, "keep it from being used to troll," right? :)

They could make a magnetic material that can be toggled. That way people could make more custom landing gear. 

Edit: So like it would stick to anything.

Like electromagnets? That would be pretty cool!

The only difficulty would be running power to them, depending on whether or not cables / wires will exist, as opposed to hard-line power conduits.

That being said,I think the landing gear that we will have are already some kind of powered magnet, how else could a ship "stick" to a landing pad in space? Or land on an asteroid?

Like electromagnets? That would be pretty cool!

The only difficulty would be running power to them, depending on whether or not cables / wires will exist, as opposed to hard-line power conduits.

That being said,I think the landing gear that we will have are already some kind of powered magnet, how else could a ship "stick" to a landing pad in space? Or land on an asteroid?

My Idea was to make them a voxel material. So you can make the landing gear what ever shape you want. Another idea is to make a way to magnetize all kinds of metal. Like a electromagnet. The only problem is that not all materials are magnetic so they can stick to it. So they would need some lore work around.

Also I just realized we have never been shown landing gear so we don't even know if they are planned.

My Idea was to make them a voxel material. So you can make the landing gear what ever shape you want. Another idea is to make a way to magnetize all kinds of metal. Like a electromagnet. The only problem is that not all materials are magnetic so they can stick to it. So they would need some lore work around.

Also I just realized we have never been shown landing gear so we don't even know if they are planned.

As far as I know from watching videos and demos, there isn't any landing gear unless you add nubs or something under your ship to act as a "landing gear."

Those are all cool ideas.

I would love playing around with magnets.

Electro magnets would make for interesting options.

Though right now I think ships just land on their belly.

Or hover. Which looks epic btw.

• 2 weeks later...