I would definitely like to see some kind of AI enemy that shares the universe with us. The "AIs" could be player designed ships or bases that have been abandoned for a long period of time driving the ship's AI to malfunction with catastrophic consequences. They would be hostile to everything organic and squishy so it gives the players that want to be moral a way to experience combat and boarding without needing to harm other players. Eventually there could even be fleets of these ship traveling through the universe like some kind of cosmic natural disaster to anyone that can't properly defend themselves. To stop this force of nature a military Org with sufficient firepower could be hired to deal with them, in other words a Raid created by players and destroyed by players. The frequency of these raids will be rare due to the method in which they are created, but if this process is too slow the Devs could implement the ability for AIs to capture the ships of their fallen enemies.

I know the Machine vs Creator card isn't the most original concept in Sci-fi, but I really think that this could be a good fit i Dual Universe since it would all be player-made, it gives purpose to an Org's military that isn't the small threat of pirate attacks or the full-scale Org v Org war.

Let me know what you think about this topic, I'd love to flesh this out a bit more.   

I imagine someone is going to roleplay as an AI, rogue or otherwise. They could work by being VERY secret mercs (so much so that only one org would have contact and no one would know about it), so their hits on mankind are not random and they get payed resources and ships for completing a mission. Remember that there is no PvE planned, and the pseudo AI that would be part of the game's mechanics would require a lot of work to make it act properly.

If there's eventually NPC combat, Rogue AI makes sense as one of the initial races we come in contact with.

According to DU lore, the Earth AI voluntarily shut down.  From an AI's perspective Humanity only had a couple hundred years left before they would be eradicated from earth.  There was never any need for a "Robot Uprising".  They just had to bide their time, and they would inherit the Earth.  With the possibility of Earth being cast out of the Solar System, and the fact that AI can live in "hostile environments",  it makes sense that they could still exist.

How?  Simple enough.  They shut down.  It doesn't take artificial intelligence to flip a relay and cause them to reboot.  So technically, no AI was up and running after the shutdown (except the arkships.)  All they would need is an "Alarm Clock", to wake them up after Humanity was dead. 

Then fire up the fusion reactors, and begin their new era of AI Domination. :D

Muahahahahahaaa!

Damn!  I wish I had entered the short story competition.  That would have been a good one.  :)

If there's eventually NPC combat, Rogue AI makes sense as one of the initial races we come in contact with.

According to DU lore, the Earth AI voluntarily shut down. 

I suspect that they didn't voluntarily shut down but rather were the ones who made the actually ultra-high tech discoveries that ultimately saved human kind... and then they used those same discoveries to save themselves.

If we run into them they will be far more advanced than us by simple fact that they had ten thousand years to ruminate on how to best advance the scientific field. Maybe a type 2 or type 3 civilization. Outclassed doesn't even begin to cover it.

Now for the ideas side of things:

Rogue AI? Maybe a consequence of bad Lua coding repeatedly in a highly networked system especially when its a system connected to some sort of fabricator. The AI creates its own body and wants to replicate or gather resources? Maybe the result of a ship sitting for so long in space that it gets bored and decides to to do its own thing?

Official Dual Universe Lore Bible:

"2145: Massive rebellions all around the world signals the end of sentient AI, introducing a permanent universal ban on this technology, enforced by the very powerful [uMF]. Against all expectations, sentient AIs accept this and willingly shut down without any form of violent action."

DU Lore:

"2145: Massive rebellions all around the world signals the end of sentient AI, introducing a permanent universal ban on this technology, enforced by the very powerful [uMF]. Against all expectations, sentient AIs accept this and willingly shut down without any form of violent action."

That may be what people believe, and what is recorded in historical documents. The truth of it... (Tin hat theory?)

That may be what people believe, and what is recorded in historical documents. The truth of it... (Tin hat theory?)

Its definetly possible.

I'm no scientist but it could be possible that the AI could have trancended to be non corporeal. Inject itself into the energy that makes up space/time. Or convert itself into some form of plasma.

The Arkship has a form of limited AI.

Who knows, maybe there are some hidden protocols. The book Hyperion had some very interesting ideas on AI and its motives.

First of all, welcome to the forums JNDuval, glad to have another player aboard.

A lot of people have been wanting AI and it has been a big topic that gets brought up from time to time but unfortunately, there will be no combat NPCs in the game, even at launch. NQ wants to keep it more player oriented and focused on the players and not quest style games. There will though be NPCs in the market place. These will basically be bots that buy and sell items in order to stir money around and balance the market system. This will also be the way money is put into the game without quests or NPCs to kill and raid.

If you want additional info, here are 2 basic links to these topics in depth:
1) http://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/In-game_Economy

2) https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10763-please-provide-read-only-game-data-apis/

• 3 weeks later...

It would be logical for there to be NPCs or AIs in the universe, especially at the beginning, when there might not be that many people. AIs could also help ship prices by allowing more ships to blow up, and make trading more risky, which can make the game more interesting. 

It would be logical for there to be NPCs or AIs in the universe, especially at the beginning, when there might not be that many people. AIs could also help ship prices by allowing more ships to blow up, and make trading more risky, which can make the game more interesting. 

That would interfere with the lore of DU, as AIs shut themselves down a long time ago (in 2145 - Novark leaves Earth in 2536 - read here for more info) and as such it would not be logical for AIs to exist.

Price fixing, destruction, pirates, noblemen, some crisis, some doomsday device and every other interesting gameplay should come from players, and not from some random, stupid NPC AI or something.

I wouldn't be too surprised if a future expansion included Aphelia going "evil" on us. 10k years is a long time to be alone and the lore has hinted at some odd behavior from her, so perhaps that'll be a thing later on.

Well thats another story. There are at least 10 DU secrets, so who knows? But I'm against some random npc enemies

I'm sure we're gonna see our fair share of Borg, Cylons, Replicators, Reavers and other types of "big space nemesis" factions. I would be slightly disappointed if the universe hides no secrets that gives us a glimpse of some ancient civilisation or arch enemy. Ancient dormant A.I. constructs are my favourite. 

"Congratulations, sergeant, by pushing that button you've woken up an ancient race of machines who's last task was to 'cleanse' the galaxy."

I'm sure we're gonna see our fair share of Borg, Cylons, Replicators, Reavers and other types of "big space nemesis" factions. I would be slightly disappointed if the universe hides no secrets that gives us a glimpse of some ancient civilisation or arch enemy. Ancient dormant A.I. constructs are my favourite.

"Congratulations, sergeant, by pushing that button you've woken up an ancient race of machines who's last task was to 'cleanse' the galaxy."

Gameplay wise it just makes no sense to have ai/npc enemies in DU because this game is a sandbox where players create the content. Not some npc. If you want players to fight a huge threat - create an org and rp your borg empire. Create content yourself but don't expect the game to create that content for you