Terraforming Discussion

Caprikel

Terraforming Poll  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How important is Terraforming to you?

• Extremely Important!
    • Very Important.
    • Somewhat important.
    • Low priority.
    • Don't care at all.

So I looked through the discussions and couldn't find any topics on terraforming, so I decided I should start a discussion about it. So far we know we can break and collect the natural terrain, but so far we've only seen the placement of geometric voxels. I'm assuming we'll be able to place natural terrain at some point, but I have no idea when, or whether they already have.

Anyway, I think it's very very important that we're able to place natural terrain and create our own natural structures. First of all it's very important for fixing errors and patching up ugly player-made terrain abominations. Without being able to place natural terrain a griefer or noob would ruin nice looking terrain and we wouldn't be able to properly fix it.

It's also very important for making our own beautiful terraformed structures. When I used to play Minecraft, one of the best parts of the building process for me was using the voxelsniper plugin for creating mountains, rivers, oceans, caves, ravines, and whatever else imaginable. Having the ability to create beautiful environments allows for much more creativity in what we can do. 

In order for us to terraform effectively, we'll need many different tools for it. We'll need a smoothing tool, a flattening tool, a raising tool, a lowering tool, etc. We'll need the ability to place trees, shrubbery, those little rocks, water, grass, and other terrain elements. What other tools do you think would be useful?

I'm curious as to the difficulty of implementing terraforming. It seems weird that we haven't seen any of it yet (aside from breaking terrain of course), so I'm assuming it might be difficult to implement. Hopefully it gets into the game soon, since it seems like it's a pretty important aspect for the building part of the game.

A similar topic was covered in another thread: "consequences of non-regenerating resources" if memory serves me correctly, but I will try to find it.

Edit: here it is: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/7815-consequences-of-non-regenerating-planets-and-ressources/?hl=consequences

I don't know how I feel about terraforming. On the one hand, it could be a useful tool to enhance the landscape, but it could just as easily be utilized to create grotesque or dysfunctional terrain.

I completely understand the type of creativity that it could unlock, and yet it seems that it would almost remove as much as it adds.

Without being constrained to the lay of the land as it sits, there would be little reason to go find other planets other than a need for resources, lack of room, or just curiosity.

Plus, if you have to build with (or into) a landscape, you are forced to be more creative with how you do it.

At this point, the only really viable reason that I would like to see it is to repair the damage done by mining operations.

Best case scenario: the area was topographically scanned before mining occurred, and replacing the landscape is limited to restoring its original appearance.

Worst case: no scan, but a topography algorithm determines what kind of terrain may have existed based on the surrounding material and topographical scans of the area. You could then choose from one of its calculated suggestions, and are limited to that for terrain restoration.

I know this sounds like a somewhat immersion-killing concept, I mean, since when is it logical that you could only place a certain number of voxels in a given area, in a particular configuration? I just can't think of any other way to limit terraforming other than simply not having it. Whatever gets destroyed is gone for good.

It would give rise to some form of an in-game EPA, although hopefully a bit more realistic than the real one. (I know, an oxymoron, but true nonetheless. :) )

So I looked through the discussions and couldn't find any topics on terraforming, so I decided I should start a discussion about it. So far we know we can break and collect the natural terrain, but so far we've only seen the placement of geometric voxels. I'm assuming we'll be able to place natural terrain at some point, but I have no idea when, or whether they already have.

Anyway, I think it's very very important that we're able to place natural terrain and create our own natural structures. First of all it's very important for fixing errors and patching up ugly player-made terrain abominations. Without being able to place natural terrain a griefer or noob would ruin nice looking terrain and we wouldn't be able to properly fix it.

It's also very important for making our own beautiful terraformed structures. When I used to play Minecraft, one of the best parts of the building process for me was using the voxelsniper plugin for creating mountains, rivers, oceans, caves, ravines, and whatever else imaginable. Having the ability to create beautiful environments allows for much more creativity in what we can do. 

In order for us to terraform effectively, we'll need many different tools for it. We'll need a smoothing tool, a flattening tool, a raising tool, a lowering tool, etc. We'll need the ability to place trees, shrubbery, those little rocks, water, grass, and other terrain elements. What other tools do you think would be useful?

I'm curious as to the difficulty of implementing terraforming. It seems weird that we haven't seen any of it yet (aside from breaking terrain of course), so I'm assuming it might be difficult to implement. Hopefully it gets into the game soon, since it seems like it's a pretty important aspect for the building part of the game.

To me it's only low priority because you can fill up holes already. Yeah it's probably not that beatiful but IDC much. "Ugly" is subjective so can't argue with that....

If it doesn't stress the server and doesn't take away precious devtime - why not. But first things first, and beauty comes second.

A similar topic was covered in another thread: "consequences of non-regenerating resources" if memory serves me correctly, but I will try to find it.

Edit: here it is: https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/7815-consequences-of-non-regenerating-planets-and-ressources/?hl=consequences

I don't know how I feel about terraforming. On the one hand, it could be a useful tool to enhance the landscape, but it could just as easily be utilized to create grotesque or dysfunctional terrain.

I completely understand the type of creativity that it could unlock, and yet it seems that it would almost remove as much as it adds.

Without being constrained to the lay of the land as it sits, there would be little reason to go find other planets other than a need for resources, lack of room, or just curiosity.

Plus, if you have to build with (or into) a landscape, you are forced to be more creative with how you do it.

At this point, the only really viable reason that I would like to see it is to repair the damage done by mining operations.

Best case scenario: the area was topographically scanned before mining occurred, and replacing the landscape is limited to restoring its original appearance.

Worst case: no scan, but a topography algorithm determines what kind of terrain may have existed based on the surrounding material and topographical scans of the area. You could then choose from one of its calculated suggestions, and are limited to that for terrain restoration.

I know this sounds like a somewhat immersion-killing concept, I mean, since when is it logical that you could only place a certain number of voxels in a given area, in a particular configuration? I just can't think of any other way to limit terraforming other than simply not having it. Whatever gets destroyed is gone for good.

It would give rise to some form of an in-game EPA, although hopefully a bit more realistic than the real one. (I know, an oxymoron, but true nonetheless. :) )

Problem with those algorithms: Will it delete your underground base which you had carefully hidden in some small hole behind a rock?

Problem with those algorithms: Will it delete your underground base which you had carefully hidden in some small hole behind a rock?

That is a valid point, however, I was not referring to some kind of "auto-fill" program that places all the voxels for you.

I am talking about something that gives you a structure guide for the terrain, which you would then have to fill by hand. You could do as much or as little as you wanted to.

If someone did have a secret base carefully hidden where you decided to restore the landscape, they should be able to reach it again by simply digging their way through whatever part of the restored terrain is blocking it.

That is a valid point, however, I was not referring to some kind of "auto-fill" program that places all the voxels for you.

I am talking about something that gives you a structure guide for the terrain, which you would then have to fill by hand. You could do as much or as little as you wanted to.

If someone did have a secret base carefully hidden where you decided to restore the landscape, they should be able to reach it again by simply digging their way through whatever part of the restored terrain is blocking it.

True, but that would lead to abuse because the vast majority wouldn't actually use those scans for repairing some random damage to the environment but to find cracks and 'unnatural' holes in order to find carefully hidden bases.

And on a sidenote: yes I think those bases should be scan-able but through other means, like using thermo, gravimetric or em scans while the owner can hide it with appropriate countermeasures. He can't do anything against those scans you suggested.

I see what you mean now! Yes, that is an excellent point.

Hmmm... maybe you would have to own the land in order to scan it? Or get permission through RDMS from the owner?

Again, it's just an idea on how you could limit the use of terraforming to keep things from getting out of hand, but I know it certainly has flaws.

Perhaps someone has a better system in mind? Or should terraforming be unrestricted like building a construct?

I think the terraforming idea is a good one, but we don't need it yet.

You don't need some sort of scan to do that - If someone wants an "ugly" spot to vanish they are already able to go there and fill it up - you only need some textures/trees/grass/whatever to cover that brown mud. That's really all you need. If you don't have the right to do that (because it's not in your TCU radius) - tough luck, you have to live with it. Or start a war and conquer that neighbouring TCU ....

I'm also curious how this will work, although I think it is definitely a low priority. It seems like the building system already in place would be sufficient to do basic repairs to the environment, so it doesn't seem worth the devs' time to create specialized tools. But long term, I would love to see some more advanced Terra forming tools in an expansion.

I don't care. I am like a cockroach. I can survive under extreme conditions.

If we dig a deep enough hole and burry ourselves, we could survive anything and no one will know we are there. Less like cockroaches and more like moles

If we dig a deep enough hole and burry ourselves, we could survive anything and no one will know we are there. Less like cockroaches and more like moles

And the Lizard People living at the center of the Earth. 

I'm not really concerned about it to be honest. If it ever gets implemented I will welcome it but if not I will still enjoy DU as is.

Though for me terraforming should be the real deal. Convert a barren rock planet into a nice friendly planet.

Idealy I would want some script to exist that nature would take over a site that is left to its own. Grass growing over time, perhaps a forest that overgrows a previous colony. Stuff like that.

But JC said that at the moment trees dont grow back and we might be able to plant them some time in the future.

And the Lizard People living at the center of the Earth. 

Would we befriend them or make them our mortal enemies? There may be battles in space, but never underestimate the wars below the surface.