Is there a max # organizations you can be in?

Psycoabc

I recomend you to stick to one nation kind of org. (Like the federation, terran union, the empire etc) in that way will you gain more trust. Being in several nation kind of org could give you a reputation of being a spy. Wich i most certanly know will affect you later ingame. However joining several trade/ company kind of organizations shouldnt be to bad. Unless your CEO have another opinion. Joining the kind theme organizations (relegiuse, movmental etc.) isnt bad either, but choose carefully. Are you a citizen of the terran union and choose to join a terrorist themed org can you sort of by yourself see what happends.

Summoning it up.

Yeah join as many you want. But remember who do they trust????

There is no system level limit to the number of orgs you can join, but it is only possible to be active in a few at a time. I would stick with a few you really like or feel passionately about. It is better to be in a few good ones than a lot of crappy ones. 

I will probably garner some flak for saying this. . . 

While yes there are many organizations out there, one must remember, they all cater to one style of play or another. Some are more kids based. . . hell some are kid ran, then there are organizations that are more serious. . . and then you have those who are specific to nationality or languages. You also have organizations that are not actually groups you can join but are essentially conglomerates of other organizations - usually to get into one of those you have to join one of the smaller organizations within the group.

Essentially - if you have a way you like to play - or have a type of people you like to work with - there is probably a group for you. There is a number to choose from. 

What matters is that the choice is yours, and yours alone to make. 

As others before me have mentioned that there is no limit to how many orgs you can join but its better to join orgs which you feel strong about and which supports the style of play you want, for example if you wanna be in a close brotherhood/family kind of group then Aether is a great choice, but lets say you want to be in a nation kind of group then you have many options like Terran Union and so on.
Basically find out which org suits your interests and find like-minded people, this way you will have an exciting game time with them, even the pre-alpha experience is different in different groups so its always cool to be in a group of like-minded people. :)
As Dhara mentioned, some orgs do not allow membership in other orgs so do take note of that.

Ok, so if I happen to join 8 different orgs (and they were all ok with it) and war declarations begin involving 2 or more of the 8 orgs I joined, how is that handled then?

It's handled however you want to I guess. It really depends on the Organization. I'm assuming the only organizations that would be going to war would be nations, PvP groups, or maybe large corporations. I doubt Nation Organizations would be ok with you being apart of a rival organization, but they might be ok with you being apart of an ally organization (Kind of like dual-citizenship irl). If you're apart of two Organizations that are at war, then you might have to choose which one to devote your time to, or try to participate in both as long as the battles don't happen at the same time.