Defense Systems

There won't be any planet destroying weapons like the death star because of the imbalance it would cause.

When they talked about building a death star, they were referring to the size of the construct not the power of the weapon.

A weapon can be as powerful as the Death Star without having planet killing capabilities. It's simply a matter of how many guns you have on the thing and how many people you have to man them, along with the weapon's armor and speed.

As for what countermeasures there are to protect oneself, at this stage in development, we simply don't know. Point defense systems are a must, if missiles are ever going to be a thing in-game. Perhaps shields will be better at stopping lasers and armor at stopping kinetic/explosive based weaponry, as is the classic way things are divided. Until NQ tells us, we won't know. We can make suggestions though.

A weapon can be as powerful as the Death Star without having planet killing capabilities. It's simply a matter of how many guns you have on the thing and how many people you have to man them, along with the weapon's armor and speed.

As for what countermeasures there are to protect oneself, at this stage in development, we simply don't know. Point defense systems are a must, if missiles are ever going to be a thing in-game. Perhaps shields will be better at stopping lasers and armor at stopping kinetic/explosive based weaponry, as is the classic way things are divided. Until NQ tells us, we won't know. We can make suggestions though.

Not really. Just look at EVE's workaround for that problem and the really really cool gameplay that emerged from there. Yes DU is not EVE and yes, due to different mechanics, it may be essential to have point defense. I merely want people to think out of the box

In eve missiles are actual objects (unlike as in DU) and there are Smartbombs (AOE dmg in close range). Once the meta evolved into missile spamming fleets of drakes - so you need a counter to that. People just used some smartbombing Battleships on the edge of each fleet, constantly bombing the area to protect the fleet from incoming missiles.

So perhaps there is point defense, perhaps not. The Meta and counters to the meta will evolve anyway

Not really. Just look at EVE's workaround for that problem and the really really cool gameplay that emerged from there. Yes DU is not EVE and yes, due to different mechanics, it may be essential to have point defense. I merely want people to think out of the box

In eve missiles are actual objects (unlike as in DU) and there are Smartbombs (AOE dmg in close range). Once the meta evolved into missile spamming fleets of drakes - so you need a counter to that. People just used some smartbombing Battleships on the edge of each fleet, constantly bombing the area to protect the fleet from incoming missiles.

So perhaps there is point defense, perhaps not. The Meta and counters to the meta will evolve anyway

Huh, that's interesting. I've never played EVE before.

Will there be an way to determine who is an enemy/aggressor and/or a way to program a script to open fire on a target if its an enemy or if fired upon?  This would be useful when offline or if your away from your asset in order to protect your stuff from ground or space attacks.

Also, will there be a need for electronic countermeasures, anti-missiles and such?

Will there be an way to determine who is an enemy/aggressor and/or a way to program a script to open fire on a target if its an enemy or if fired upon?  This would be useful when offline or if your away from your asset in order to protect your stuff from ground or space attacks.

Also, will there be a need for electronic countermeasures, anti-missiles and such?

"

I'd love to explain, but I'm short on time right now and have another reply to make. If you haven't read the developer's blog for the LUA scripts and processing units, I suggest you do so here. It is the closest definite answer you can get - everything else is speculation. 

Now, I think I remember Nyzaltar mentioning a thing or two about scripts running if the player is offline, but his specific answer has slipped my mind. If I do recall correctly, it was to be a negative for the Alpha at least. Scripts would not run unless the player was online or in some measure of proximity to the construct in question. It does seem unfair and if you do raise and eyebrow at the very thought of having to be online for your defences to work, be rest assured, I'm raising both my eyebrows at the idea. 

A lot is still under development, but it will be safe to say that scripts will run whether or not you are online in the long run. How else will automatic defences stall the enemy while I'm at work or catching some sleep.

As for the IFF (Identification Friend or Foe), there will be. You can rest easy about that. They did mention something like it in the developer's blog I linked above for your perusal.

Missiles, so far, are simply visual effects with a possible damage radius once the target is within the sensor area, but I haven neither the experience in such a thing or the privileged information to the exact specifics on its workings. Later on, missiles and projectiles might be actual objects. If you watched the videos or have read a bit on the Forums, you'll understand that damage to a construct works by chipping off part of the affected construct(s). Shooting a laser ray at the hull of a ship will effectively remove that part of the hull the ship.

ECM's, denial of service and the such will be very effective for the darker side of things and I certainly believe that down the road, they will be implemented. Why, if hacking is going to be in the game, why stop us from jamming ships, or fooling radars?

Cheers.

"

"

I'd love to explain, but I'm short on time right now and have another reply to make. If you haven't read the developer's blog for the LUA scripts and processing units, I suggest you do so here. It is the closest definite answer you can get - everything else is speculation. 

Now, I think I remember Nyzaltar mentioning a thing or two about scripts running if the player is offline, but his specific answer has slipped my mind. If I do recall correctly, it was to be a negative for the Alpha at least. Scripts would not run unless the player was online or in some measure of proximity to the construct in question. It does seem unfair and if you do raise and eyebrow at the very thought of having to be online for your defences to work, be rest assured, I'm raising both my eyebrows at the idea. 

A lot is still under development, but it will be safe to say that scripts will run whether or not you are online in the long run. How else will automatic defences stall the enemy while I'm at work or catching some sleep.

As for the IFF (Identification Friend or Foe), there will be. You can rest easy about that. They did mention something like it in the developer's blog I linked above for your perusal.

Missiles, so far, are simply visual effects with a possible damage radius once the target is within the sensor area, but I haven neither the experience in such a thing or the privileged information to the exact specifics on its workings. Later on, missiles and projectiles might be actual objects. If you watched the videos or have read a bit on the Forums, you'll understand that damage to a construct works by chipping off part of the affected construct(s). Shooting a laser ray at the hull of a ship will effectively remove that part of the hull the ship.

ECM's, denial of service and the such will be very effective for the darker side of things and I certainly believe that down the road, they will be implemented. Why, if hacking is going to be in the game, why stop us from jamming ships, or fooling radars?

Cheers.

"

NQ told us about how security will work. You will have your scripted defenses but if I recall you have to be online for them to be active. To claim your territory and place ownership to land and objects you place down a static core unit. When an org attacks your static core unit, the defending org will have 24 hours to repair and prepare for a defense. During this time, they can not attack you again which gives the defending org time to regroup. After 24 hours, the attacking org can attack again and then has no limitations. The defending org will have no warnings and no given time to defend. After 24 hours, it become a free for all and once they destroy the core unity, they can do whatever they want to the territory.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but Turrets that automatically shoot enemies without you online is what I believe is important.

Turrets will be scripted by players but will have a default script NQ will provide.

And since scripts have to have a friendly player near it, this will cause a few problems with your response (Assuming NQ doesn't make turrets activate when an enemy is near) so shielding will be used as Aetherios and Begogian said.

I hadnt considered it, but a "default script" that fired upon "hostile" targets would be interesting.

We REALLY need to know more about SENSORS.

Well, I can see base defenses indeed running on rudimentary scripts tied to the RDMS. Target is tagged as "neutral" or "no standing" with the parent organisation behind the turrets? Turrets begin firing non-stop until targets are off the turrets range of engagement. But yeah, we need to know how sensors do work in-game and if they have different types of detection (LADAR, gravitometry - mass detection or god forbid, radar)., so we can get a grasp of how these defenses can be side-stepped. I mean, nobody is gonna set up territory claim just so they can build an outpost in a warzone, as its cost won't be worth it for something that will probably go up in flames, so sensors and automated defenses with very basic scripts will be the only real way for an outpost to be turned into a "tower defense" with turret nests in tight corridors and infiltration gameplay.

I mean, who doesn't wanna play the game as Sam Fisher, which incidentally ties very well to the combat an infiltrator should have to go thorugh - none at all, as they wear a stealthsuit, not a proper combat armor. They are infiltrators, not Rambo :P

Nobut seriously, we do need to learn more about how NQ aims to tackle the sensors thing.